Gransnet forums

AIBU

Tired and unreasonable

(30 Posts)
Caramac Sat 10-Aug-13 19:04:04

I do love being a granny but am finding it so much harder than mummying. I don't think its just because I am older. My daughters are happy for me to discipline little peeps, they seem to recall I was fair, mostly, with them and think my values and standards are good. Trouble is, I want to be nice granny, not the one who puts them on the naughty step etc whilst Mummy watches (and sometimes clearly disagrees but doesn't want to rock the boat). I am ashamed to say that sometimes I am too strict but I am so tired because I work and have a few health issues although nothing major and just want some peace and quiet. I provide some childcare (12hrs a week) and see them most days. What do others think?

ninathenana Sun 11-Aug-13 11:35:18

phoenix I'm stealing that one ! smile

I had both DGS yesterday from 8.30 am till after bed time yesterday. I don't usually have them all day. 4yr old is fairly good except when it comes to sharing his toys with 17mth old but expects his brother to share with him grin 17mth old has no speech so that can be very fraught. DD tells them on a regular basis "Nannie's house, nannies rules" Which is great except when I'm looking after them at their house smile

I certainly wouldn't want to do all day on a regular basis. Phew!

maxgran Mon 12-Aug-13 15:26:52

I love having my grand children at my house. They know the rules ( which are consistently enforced!) and they respect them. I never have any trouble with them and its nice and peaceful......However, in their own homes its bedlam!

They get away with jumping on furniture and there is lots of screaming & shouting and whining! I spend most of my time sorting them out because they take little notice of their parents.
I get fed up of having to be the 'bad cop'!!

Clytie Mon 12-Aug-13 15:39:17

GS (3) has started learning his numbers.

The other day he was determined not to eat his lunch. DD, exasperated, said "I'm going to count to three and then-"

"Me! One two three!" GS shouted and then beamed proudly at her.

I think she's decided not to try that tactic again grin.

Deedaa Tue 13-Aug-13 23:07:08

I've counted down from five when I want my grandson to do something for as long as I can remember. He's six and a half now and I've never reached one and have no idea what he thinks would happen if I did! grin