Gransnet forums

AIBU

Response from Radio 4

(59 Posts)
Daisyanswerdo Thu 15-Aug-13 19:03:53

Some time last June I heard a tune being played on Radio 4, the name of which I've been trying to find for years. I immediately sent them an email from their website with the details of the time, the programme it followed, the programme that followed it - every detail I could think of, asking for its name, saying I'd be so grateful, at last, etc.

They replied with a suggestion, but sadly it wasn't the right one.

So I sat down and wrote out the first 7 bars of the tune on manuscript paper, scanned it, and emailed it to the person who'd sent me the original suggestion, thanking them, and hoping that the scan would help them to accurately identify the tune.

That was on 4th July. No reply. On 30th July I wrote again, asking what more could I do! So far, I've heard nothing more.

AIBU to feel somewhat disappointed at this lack of response? Any ideas for what I could reasonably do next?

Nelliemoser Sat 17-Aug-13 09:28:05

Daisydoo if you made that up you should be a composer. wink

You have a lot of us intrigued now and we want to solve the mystery.

I am not musical enough to explain why it works as a tune but it just "sounds right." I am sure someone must know what I mean by that.

It sounds like an older tune but the story appears to have been set in the future. Its very dignified and gentle tune I would suggest Edwardian or earlier.

I will copy it again on manuscript paper now I know the proper timings, and try again.

Nelliemoser Sat 17-Aug-13 12:03:24

You can type it in on the pretend piano on here. Somehow I set all the all the possibilities going at once and couldn't stop them.
www.musipedia.org/flash_piano.html

Elegran Sat 17-Aug-13 12:52:48

Musical brother, when asked, said
"Is she sure she hasn't missed out a bar? I feel like it should have 8, maybe a whole bar between bars 3 and 4?

(Actually I suspect that there are four bars and the note values are half what she has transcribed them as) Maybe something like the attachment ...

Unfortunately I still don't recognise it!"

I shall put the attachment onto my profile, in case anyone wants to try that out and see whether it becomes recognisable.

Galen Sat 17-Aug-13 13:07:43

It's a little like 'I had a little nut tree'

Galen Sat 17-Aug-13 13:10:01

Is it the Israeli 'song of freedom' which I think is their national anthem?

merlotgran Sat 17-Aug-13 13:11:54

I've just played it and I recognised the tune straightaway but I'm going to have to dig deep in my memory to get the name.

You used to hear it on BBC Light Programme. It's one of those tunes that was written for light entertainment by composers like Ronald Binge and Trevor Duncan.

And I'm going to have it in my head all day now.

Galen Sat 17-Aug-13 13:15:29

Transpose it into C. Then look in Clarks musical directory.

merlotgran Sat 17-Aug-13 13:29:19

I've got to pop out for a bit but then I'm going to have a look at Brian Kay's Light Programme website. Quite a few composers on there.

Galen I don't think it's the Ha tikvah. feetlebaum will know.

janeainsworth Sat 17-Aug-13 14:06:10

I've tried the website recommended by Grannyactivist but for some unknown reason it can't hear anything I'm singing!

Daisyanswerdo Sat 17-Aug-13 14:35:11

My son's smart phone doesn't recognise it. I heard another tune on Radio 4 last year that intrigued me, and his phone recognised it as Max Richter's Lullaby from the West Coast Sleepers. These tunes get into my head!

I am heartened by merlotgran's response and I think she's right about it being a Light Programme tune.

I tried the Musical Directory Galen, couldn't find it. I will try Nelliemoser's link.

Thank you all again, I'm really chuffed at all the responses.

merlotgran Sat 17-Aug-13 15:06:49

I think this is it

Click on number 9 Vanity Fair written by Ernest Tomlinson

Daisyanswerdo Sat 17-Aug-13 15:22:03

Tears of joy! As soon as I read 'Vanity Fair' I knew you'd got it right, because I'd been wondering about Vaughan Williams' Pilgrims Progress, but that wasn't it. I didn't have it quite right, did I?

Thank you SO MUCH merlotgran - I've been looking for this for years and years!

Going to listen to it again - and look up Ernest Tomlinson because I've never heard of him.

merlotgran Sat 17-Aug-13 15:26:46

The tune's been in my head all afternoon. As soon as I saw Vanity Fair I remembered it was the theme tune to the lovely TV series in the fifties. I watched it on my gran's black and white TV as we didn't have one.

I've had a great time trawling through radio light music on Amazon looking for it this afternoon so thanks Daisy for giving us the teaser.

gracesmum Sat 17-Aug-13 15:29:04

HOW ON EARTH did you do that, Merlot??? I am so impressed!!

bluebell Sat 17-Aug-13 15:39:02

Wow!!!

Daisyanswerdo Sat 17-Aug-13 16:02:08

I've been doing some more research; it looks as if Vanity Fair was written by Anthony Collins; Ernest Tomlinson conducted the orchestra for the version merlotgran found.

A red-letter day for me, thanks to merlotgran and Gransnet!

merlotgran Sat 17-Aug-13 16:04:18

It wasn't too difficult, gracesmum. I recognised the tune when I played it on the piano but couldn't remember the name or composer. I then trawled through some compilation CDs, on Amazon, clicking on my favourite light music composers until I got to Ernest Tomlinson and there it was!

Here's another little teaser. The Watermill was the theme tune to The Secret Garden and I always thought it was written by Ronald Binge. I have it on a download. I notice it's credited to Ernest Tomlinson as well. hmm

merlotgran Sat 17-Aug-13 16:05:22

Ah that answers my query over The Watermill as well, Daisy. Ronald Binge obviously did write it.

Nelliemoser Sat 17-Aug-13 16:18:54

Ah! A result from the combined minds of " Gransnet" smile smile smile

Granny23 Sat 17-Aug-13 16:37:35

Well done MerlotGran wine - what a clever lot we are when we put our minds together.

nanaej Sat 17-Aug-13 16:51:30

Gosh! I am sooooo impressed. I am so inadequate when it comes to anything musical..except listening and enjoying! What a very clever lot you are! envy

janeainsworth Sat 17-Aug-13 17:19:50

Well done merlot!
winewine

janeainsworth Sat 17-Aug-13 17:22:00

Sorry Granny23 just realised I mixed you up with Grannyactivist blush

mrshat Sat 17-Aug-13 17:27:37

I'm very impressed!! Well done smile

Daisyanswerdo Sat 17-Aug-13 18:14:31

Ronald Binge also wrote 'Elizabethan Serenade' - another lovely tune.

I've sent Radio 4 an email to tell them the name of the tune - so that's the end of that!