Gransnet forums

AIBU

Response from Radio 4

(58 Posts)
Daisyanswerdo Thu 15-Aug-13 19:03:53

Some time last June I heard a tune being played on Radio 4, the name of which I've been trying to find for years. I immediately sent them an email from their website with the details of the time, the programme it followed, the programme that followed it - every detail I could think of, asking for its name, saying I'd be so grateful, at last, etc.

They replied with a suggestion, but sadly it wasn't the right one.

So I sat down and wrote out the first 7 bars of the tune on manuscript paper, scanned it, and emailed it to the person who'd sent me the original suggestion, thanking them, and hoping that the scan would help them to accurately identify the tune.

That was on 4th July. No reply. On 30th July I wrote again, asking what more could I do! So far, I've heard nothing more.

AIBU to feel somewhat disappointed at this lack of response? Any ideas for what I could reasonably do next?

janeainsworth Thu 15-Aug-13 19:39:04

What was the programme Daisy?
It might still be available on iplayer and if you give us the details, we could 'Listen again' and possibly identify it.

Alternatively, could you post the scanned 7 bars onto a Gransnet message (you might have to put it in the Pictures forum) and we could see if it rang any bells?

Nelliemoser Thu 15-Aug-13 19:56:57

Good thinking there Jane. Spot the tune! grin

nanaej Thu 15-Aug-13 20:09:19

I think it is a little bit unreasonable! Whilst public communication and good relationships are important for any media group just think how much time (& therefore cost) it would take if even just 20 of the listeners asked similar questions each day.

It would be lovely for R4 to respond again and would show excellent PR but in reality they are busy making radio programmes!

Daisyanswerdo Fri 16-Aug-13 12:51:11

Well, I asked the question AIBU, and maybe you're right nanaej, and I am.

In my defence, I thought of the person who chose that particular piece of music, for a particular reason, and thought they might be gratified that someone was listening and noticed it.

It was played after the end of the Woman's Hour play and before the following news bulletin. If I can scan it onto here, I will, and maybe lots of you will recognise it!

Thanks for the replies.

Nelliemoser Fri 16-Aug-13 13:51:19

Go for it DaisyDoo put it on your profile. I really need to know now, can't sleep for wondering. wink

janeainsworth Fri 16-Aug-13 16:37:17

Daisy What date in June was it? The episodes are still available, I've just looked.
Come on! We're determined to solve this for you grin

Daisyanswerdo Fri 16-Aug-13 18:29:15

Wow! - well, it was played after the end of The Testament of Jessie Lamb, but not as part of the programme. The news followed, and it was played between the end of Jessie Lamb and the news. Unfortunately I haven't got my original email because it went via the BBC Radio 4 site. I think it was the last episode, but again I can't be sure.

I am now about to try putting it on my profile . . .

Daisyanswerdo Fri 16-Aug-13 18:32:35

It's there but it looks very small. I don't know how to make it bigger - sorry.

Nelliemoser Fri 16-Aug-13 19:17:46

I have transcribed it as far as I can but its hard to see if the notes listed are quavers or whatever.

I assume the key signature is B flat from peering hard at it. Its a nice little tune but either the bar spacing is wrong or it is the problem about not seeing what time value the notes are.
I cannot recognise the tune but it sounds like it should be a song.

I will persevere. grin

janeainsworth Fri 16-Aug-13 19:36:44

Daisy I've come up against a brick wall.
The Testament of Jessie Lamb was broadcast from June 17th in 5 episodes, and although you can still hear the first 45 minutes of Woman's Hour for that week, the Testament of Jessie Lamb is 'no longer available'.
I guess it's something to do with copyright.
Unfortunately I can't save your manuscript to a kind of file that I can open on my computer, and it's too small for me to read sad
Perhaps I'll put a question on the tech forum asking how to make pictures bigger<idea>

Elegran Fri 16-Aug-13 19:42:37

I could make that version bigger, but then it was too fuzzy to see any better.

Nelliemoser Fri 16-Aug-13 19:53:30

Here goes musical types.

I cannot clearly see if the notes are quavers or what.

I think the key signature just has a B flat.

Notes on the stave in capitals.
Notes below the stave lower case.

The tune sort of works, but the last three notes I have guessed at don't.

ABCA c| F G| C C| BCB d |AAG c |GAG c | ?FFG

Nelliemoser Fri 16-Aug-13 19:58:29

Its not so much a question of making the picture bigger but not shrinking it, or rather letting the system shrink it down when you upload it.
I think there is an automatic "resize function" which wants to make the image smaller to save space when its being uploaded.

Daisyanswerdo Fri 16-Aug-13 20:22:59

It's in 4/4 time, in the key of F (Bb is the key signature). The notes are crotchets except in bars 2 and 3, which are a dotted minim and a crotchet; the last bar is incomplete, a dotted minim.

ABAC/G. G/C. C/BCBD/ABAC/GAGC/F.

The first C is middle C, the next two an octave above, then the last 2 are middle C again.

It's like when you say a word over and over again, it begins to sound tedious and odd! It sounds great when it's orchestrated! (honest).

I think I'm fated never to know its name and I'm beginning to wonder if I made it up - but then it was on Radio 4.

Daisyanswerdo Fri 16-Aug-13 20:32:49

I'm really impressed with the trouble you are taking and your determination; I'm sitting here losing my nerve and sorry I started this! My musicianship isn't really up to writing down tunes. I will find out what it's called and let you know! Thank you again.

janeainsworth Fri 16-Aug-13 20:55:47

Daisy I tried to play it on my piano, but no inspiration I'm afraid! Let us know if you find out what it is!

Galen Fri 16-Aug-13 21:03:25

I'll have a go tomorrow on recorder, violin and harp! Don't understand what the notes after the slashes are? Elucidate please?

Galen Fri 16-Aug-13 21:07:11

Ah! Got it.
Can you repeat in lines, with the dot
Eg
ABAC
G?

nanaej Fri 16-Aug-13 21:54:05

Its all Greek to me..I feel such a dunce..music (in it's written form) remains an utter mystery to me!!

Because I could not sing in tune at choir auditions I was not advised to do music! Ihad NO music education after the age of 11 sad

Daisyanswerdo Fri 16-Aug-13 22:25:15

The slashes are bar lines Galen. I'm losing confidence fast here!

So bar 1. is ABAC (4 crotchets) (middle C) (starts A above middle C)
2. G. G (dotted minim and crotchet)
3. C. C (dotted minim and crotchet, same note) (8ve above middle C)
4. BCBD (4 crotchets)
5. ABAC (4 crotchets) (middle C)
6. GAGC (4 crotchets) (middle C)
7. F. (dotted minim) (incomplete bar)

Any failures here are absolutely mine! Please don't let it be a nuisance!

Galen Fri 16-Aug-13 22:30:22

No. I'm intrigued.
I will try tomorrow! It's about time I retuned my harp anyway!
( I can't really play it, but I'm trying to learn. Picking out a series of notes I should manage!

janeainsworth Fri 16-Aug-13 22:34:18

Thanks to Simtib I could read your manuscript Daisy so am confident I've played it properly, but although there's something slightly familiar about it, that's as far as I've got! Sorry!

Granny23 Fri 16-Aug-13 22:43:20

There is a website www.midomi.com/ where you can sing or play a snatch of a tune and it will identify it for you. Worth a try?

gracesmum Fri 16-Aug-13 22:46:11

There is an app Daisy (but for the life of me I don't know what it is called) which can recognise a tune and identify it for you. SIL used it once when we were trying to put a name to a piece of music - I had guessed the composer but he got the piece. Do you have a suitable IT /iPhone savvy relly or friend who could help?