Gransnet forums

AIBU

Grandchild name

(222 Posts)
ermintrude Thu 15-Aug-13 22:17:36

My son has give his son what I consider to be a girl's name. I am gutted and have fallen out with him big time.

Need advice.

pinkwallpaper Wed 21-Aug-13 22:31:48

It seems that you have other problems with your son, i.e. he owes you money and does not 'consult you ', there is more to this problem than just choosing a name you do not like.

Nelliemoser Wed 21-Aug-13 22:51:53

Deedaa No connection with "The Importance of being Ernest" I trust. wink

gillybob Wed 21-Aug-13 23:18:22

No worries Eloethan I love that song and it just goes to prove what a difference a name makes. smile

absent Wed 21-Aug-13 23:24:17

That which we call a rose… I assume he isn't called Rose.

Ana Wed 21-Aug-13 23:25:53

It doesn't seem likely that Ermintrude is ever going to come back to tell us! My bet's on Gene...

absent Wed 21-Aug-13 23:29:38

Ana A distinct possibility. Or maybe Sacha which in the UK has been taken over by girl babies but was originally short for Alexander.

soop Sat 24-Aug-13 16:16:55

absent when son number three was born, I really liked the name, Sacha. I then changed it to Alexander and used it as his middle name.

My good friend's son, has named his new daughter - Maud. That's a name I haven't heard mentioned in many years.

thatbags Sat 24-Aug-13 16:31:21

"Come into the garden, Maud, for the black bat, night, hath flown..."

I love a lot of Tennyson's poems, but this one don't 'alf drag on.

soop Sat 24-Aug-13 16:46:07

I like my Nana's name - Florence. Not Flo', though.

soop Sat 24-Aug-13 16:47:29

Mr soop's late mother was Amelia. Millie to the family. It's becoming popular.

Nonu Sat 24-Aug-13 17:24:43

Soop one of my DCD is called Florence , I think it really fabulous name , they also call her that at home and school .

Lovely !! x

Nonu Sat 24-Aug-13 17:25:35

ps I meant to say do not abbreviate it to FLO.

Nonu Sat 24-Aug-13 17:26:49

OOPs me again , she does on occasion get called Florrie , which I think is pretty !

kittylester Sat 24-Aug-13 17:34:56

I had a great aunt Florence who was called Florrie or Flossie but never Flo. I think it's a lovely name and worked hard to get one of our DGDs called Florence - to no avail. sad My grandmother (Florrie's sister) was Edith, I worked on that one too, also to no avail. They also had sisters called Ada and Bertha - didn't work on those!

Maud is very popular lately, I think. There was a very rude, in the lavatorial sense, version of 'Come into the Garden, Maud' when I was at school. Luckily, I can't remember it. grin

Nonu Sat 24-Aug-13 18:01:52

The really sweet part about the naming of my DG, is that her parents were looking through an old photo album and saw a picture of my Grandma + two of her daughters {my aunts] one of which was named Florence .

There and then that was their choice of name . I did not find that out till later !!

I was very pleased !! smile

susieb755 Sat 24-Aug-13 18:04:10

I used to run a nursery, and had Woden, Thor, Champagne, Ocean.....

My son changed his name from Kevin to Eddie

I hated being a Sue, as everyone my age is called Sue

My DH cousin is called Holiday, as she was born on a bank holiday, as was our DD, so we called her Holly - his cousins nickname, and we had found out we were expecting her on Christmas Eve

Its up to you what you call your child, but I do think some thought should be given to the consequences of the child concerned

JessM Sat 24-Aug-13 18:21:12

Sometimes you can consider a lot and still get it wrong. Someone I know called her son Harry, just before the first Potter movie came out. And he is the spitting image of HP as well.
I would have called DS1 Flora if he had been a girl. A couple of years later the margarine of that name was released upon an unsuspecting world.

Sook Sat 24-Aug-13 18:36:42

susie I am Susan which I absolutely hate! I was called Susie as a child and now known as Su (without the 'e'). I would have much preferred to have been called Susannah or Suzanne. I did fare better than my sister though, she has had to live with Mavis all her life.

janeainsworth Sat 24-Aug-13 18:49:23

Oh dear. My DD1 is Susan and we've always called her Susie.
I think it's a lovely name and she lives up to it blush

janeainsworth Sat 24-Aug-13 18:50:15

Mostly we call her Suse.

kittylester Sat 24-Aug-13 20:09:52

Our eldest daughter is Susannah. She was Susie until she became a grown up sad

annsixty Sat 24-Aug-13 21:12:20

Am now wondering is soop best friends with Prince Micheal of Kent?

Gally Sat 24-Aug-13 21:25:18

We have a Florence in the family and she is known as Flossie. I wanted to name DD1 Flora but, as Jess says, the margarine Flora had just appeared on the market and everyone said 'you can't possibly name a baby after margarine' so she became Hannah instead hmm

annsixty Sat 24-Aug-13 21:33:45

I do not like the name Florence as it was my MiL's name. nuff said.

Deedaa Sat 24-Aug-13 22:31:00

I suffered tortures at school because I was the only Caroline. It was very outlandish at the time. My mother told me that if I had been my younger sister (keep up at the back!) She would have called me Charlotte. At the time I thought I had had a lucky escape - now I think it would have been rather nice.

My mother was always instant that no one should shorten my name and call me Carol. So how come, once I was grown up, she started calling me Caro?