Gransnet forums

AIBU

... in being annoyed by grinning news readers and weather girls?

(37 Posts)
MamaCaz Thu 22-Aug-13 17:40:41

Ok, I admit that there are much more important things to get annoyed about, but I can be a real grumpy old woman sometimes.

It's just I don't see why they think they have to pretend to be happy all the time. To be honest, I want the news and weather to be presented in such a way that I don't give a thought to the presentation. In other words, a natural smile while giving good news is perfectly ok, but some of them insist on trying to grin like a Cheshire cat through every single news item / weather forecast. It's so unnatural and really bugs me sometimes.

There, rant over. I'll crawl back into my corner and stay there until I'm in a better mood angry

j08 Thu 22-Aug-13 17:44:06

I remember when they used to read the news with a very neutral expression, and tone of voice. When did it change?! hmm

Ana Thu 22-Aug-13 17:45:22

When they all got their teeth whitened and even the men started dyeing their hair....confused

AlieOxon Thu 22-Aug-13 17:51:33

Why can't I tell any of the weather women from each other? They all seem to be tightly wrapped, low bosomed and with the same hair.....

MamaCaz Thu 22-Aug-13 17:56:12

I thought it was just me that couldn't tell them apart, AlieOxon grin

nightowl Thu 22-Aug-13 20:31:10

Everyone seems to be 'tightly wrapped' these days Allie. When did it become fashionable to wear clothes two sizes too small?

AlieOxon Thu 22-Aug-13 21:05:20

And do they all wear those non-supporting elastic bras?

Nonu Thu 22-Aug-13 21:23:34

Nightowl , you ^ do ^ realise the expression " tightly wrapped" , can mean a bit uptight or little loopy ?
That is not what you meant , I know .

grin

nightowl Thu 22-Aug-13 21:41:06

confused

FlicketyB Fri 23-Aug-13 08:22:29

If you listen to the news and weather on the radio instead you can concentrate on what is being said without being distracted by the person saying the words.

MamaCaz Fri 23-Aug-13 10:19:21

Good idea FlicketyB.
Actually, I already do that - radio 4 over breakfast every morning (blimey, I really must be getting old!). However, DH is a TV addict and the box is on continuously from about 5pm - sometimes earlier - till bedtime. That means that even if I'm doing something else at the same time, I can't escape the infuriating presenters. Often, it is their artificial girlie way of talking that draws my attention to the TV. Grrrrr

Ella46 Fri 23-Aug-13 10:31:37

What really annoys me [grumpy OW emo] is when the weather is on a HUGE map, and they stride up and down in their skin tight (usually ghastly) dress and great clumpy high heels!

I think Sky news is the worst offender.

Goodness, I feel better for that! grin

MamaCaz Fri 23-Aug-13 11:31:50

Not just weather girls who do that one - anyone watched countdown recently? DH has become an avid viewer. Can't think why! envy grin

Ella46 Fri 23-Aug-13 11:56:15

It's the same with those comedians that strut up and down the stage. I feel like screaming at them to 'stand still' angry

petallus Fri 23-Aug-13 12:31:15

There's too much fake friendliness around these days.

gracesmum Fri 23-Aug-13 13:05:05

I hate it (curmudgeon alert) when they wish me a "great evening" after the 10 o clock news. Wishing me a nice cup of Horlicks might be closer to the mark. Likewise "fantastic weekend" - who has those? When everything has to be great or fantastic etc it makes just "nice" or even "bearable" feel so inadequate.

Gagagran Fri 23-Aug-13 13:08:30

I hate the way they say "see you later" - no you won't - we might see you but it doesn't work the other way round!

Nelliemoser Fri 23-Aug-13 13:21:36

MamaCaz you seem to hit a nerve here! Those silly Estuary English speaking grinning girls who stand up squinting at their Autocues every hour? As if anyone actually need a quick and useless summary of the news. It drives me potty as well!

annodomini Fri 23-Aug-13 14:17:29

In my opinion the only weather 'girl' worth her salt is Carol Kirkwood (usually BBC breakfast). She really does create a relationship with her audience, doesn't simper and tells it like it is.

Ana Fri 23-Aug-13 14:18:51

Yes, I agree. She's lovely.

Gally Fri 23-Aug-13 14:57:03

There's a weather girl on BBC Scotland (Judith Ralston) who I am convinced will one day throw off all her clothes, burst into a raunchy song, do a manic pole dance and as a piece de resistance, produce a whip: all we really require at 7 a.m. is a brief résumé of the day's weather grin

FlicketyB Fri 23-Aug-13 17:46:39

MamaCaz, if the television was in our house as long as that I would have to spend all my evenings in the kitchen.

nightowl Fri 23-Aug-13 17:54:03

MamaCaz I wish the telly was on for only that length of time in this house. Since OH retired he seems to think it has to go on from the minute he opens his eyes until the minute he goes to bed. I can't bear to be in the room. I'm glad I'm still working.

numberplease Fri 23-Aug-13 23:35:42

Nightowl, I can empathise with you, my husband can`t bear to see the TV switched off, he`ll watch anything and everything, rather than turn it off, it drives me MAD!!

janeainsworth Fri 23-Aug-13 23:47:39

Mamacaz try Cathy Newman on Channel 4 news. She will restore your faith in real women.