Gransnet forums

AIBU

... in being annoyed by grinning news readers and weather girls?

(38 Posts)
MamaCaz Thu 22-Aug-13 17:40:41

Ok, I admit that there are much more important things to get annoyed about, but I can be a real grumpy old woman sometimes.

It's just I don't see why they think they have to pretend to be happy all the time. To be honest, I want the news and weather to be presented in such a way that I don't give a thought to the presentation. In other words, a natural smile while giving good news is perfectly ok, but some of them insist on trying to grin like a Cheshire cat through every single news item / weather forecast. It's so unnatural and really bugs me sometimes.

There, rant over. I'll crawl back into my corner and stay there until I'm in a better mood angry

nightowl Fri 23-Aug-13 23:58:18

number does your OH also record things and watch them over and over again? Or bits of them over and over again? It's like Groundhog Day here at times. My dream is absolute silence grin

specki4eyes Sat 24-Aug-13 12:38:06

ooh don't get me started!

Smiley Carol just annoys me - so unerringly cheerful - I'm sure she would deliver a forecast that a meteorite was about to annihilate the entire planet in that same irritating, cheesy way. I do not need television presenters to make me feel happy - just give me the facts - I'll decide for myself thank you whether to be pleased or cross.

Now the one I do like - nice sensible calm lady is Sara Blizzard - great name too - I'll bet she can't wait for winter!! smile

MamaCaz Sat 24-Aug-13 13:15:48

Number: My OH spends half his time watching Dave. You would think by now that he would know the right answer to every question on QI, but sometimes he doesn't even realise he's seen it before (half a dozen times at least!) until halfway through.
Know just what you mean about Groundhog Day.. hmm

MargaretX Sat 24-Aug-13 15:33:37

I don't want a relationship with a weather man or woman and I don't want to hear what the weather has been like. I have lived through the day and experienced the weather. Let them get on with the weather forecast.
I will decide for myself if I'm going to take an umbrella, my wellies or my sunglasses.

MamaCaz Sat 24-Aug-13 18:10:35

MargaretX
Have you been eavesdropping in our lounge? You are quoting word for word what DH and I regularly shout at the screen! grin

KatyK Sun 25-Aug-13 16:54:23

nightowl. My DH is the same. If we are going out and we are all ready to go, he'll check all the doors and windows and say 'OK ready' but the TV is still on as though he can't bear to turn it off. He will watch anything. He can come into a room half-way through a programme and just sit staring at it although he has no idea what it's about. Good job I'm perfect!

MamaCaz Sun 25-Aug-13 18:27:12

Mine spends half his time asleep in front of TV. A sure sign that he's asleep is when there's no flicking between channels when the ads come on.
I gave having any say in what we watch years ago - if he (and the boys, when they were still at home) didn't like my choice, they talked too much for me to listen anyway, or kept coming out with disparaging comments all the way through, completely ruining it for me. So nowadays I just leave him to choose. I get a bit narky though when, after he's flicked through the guide several times and failed to find anything that even he wants to watch, he will throw the control over to me, saying "you choose, love", as if he's doing me some big favour. Grrr!

Ana Sun 25-Aug-13 18:52:31

We have another tv in the dining-room. OH gave up pretending to be interested in what I want to watch and vice versa several years ago!

Occasionally our choice will coincide and we'll watch together, but I'm not a sports fan and he is, so our arrangement suits us fine!

Ella46 Sun 25-Aug-13 18:55:26

Who goes in the dining room Ana?

Ana Sun 25-Aug-13 18:56:04

I do - it's lovely and cosy in there! wink

Ana Sun 25-Aug-13 18:57:38

And it's where the PC is...smile

Ella46 Sun 25-Aug-13 19:17:42

That's ok then grin