Gransnet forums

AIBU

To have got a bit cross and shouty...

(107 Posts)
thatbags Sat 24-Aug-13 12:34:45

... when DH expected me to drive DD to her riding lesson when I had just finished getting hot and bothered (though satisfied with my work) with a hedge cutter, a saw, and loppers, tackling a rhododendron hedge that needs a ladder for me to reach the top, and all he had done this morning is lie in bed until eleven, drink coffee and lounge about reading his kindle?

He always drives her there when we are going to archery afterwards (except for one or two occasions when I have, but that has been when I haven't been hacking rhodies all morning). He likes driving and I don't. He knows this. He hates tackling hedges. Seems like a reasonable split of work to me.

Anyway, I got cross and shouty and they left. I went and had a cross shower and now I'm writing this, drinking coffee (crossly) and biting snappishly into some biscuits. Snarl. Growl.

I started some bread dough earlier. I think I'd better go and thump it.

Grrrrrr and thank you for letting me shout on gransnet. Outward sigh, somewhat releaved by getting it off my chest.

Small growl.

They forgot to take a cheque to pay for the lesson, naturally. Humph.

Deedaa Sat 24-Aug-13 22:35:17

I went into the bathroom yesterday and found the new loo roll neatly placed NEXT to the empty holder. I suppose this might be progress?

Sook Sat 24-Aug-13 22:45:05

Hhmm I am the only toilet roll fairy in our household and when I am feeling really p****d off about having to replace yet another one I DON'T! I just keep one handy in my handbag for my own personal use grin

shelby75 Sat 24-Aug-13 22:48:59

sook "toilet roll fairy" I love it!! grin Going to use that in my house from now on. Along with picker-upper and tidy fairy, laundry fairy, vacuum fairy, car washer fairy.

Nelliemoser Sat 24-Aug-13 23:15:21

The idea of using the word the xxx fairy when something magically appears reminds me of a very busy day at work.

The phone had not stopped ringing and we were horribly busy. The young very openly gay lad in the office went and made a brew and stuck the cup of tea on my desk knowing I never refused. My first thought was to say "oh wonderful the Tea Fairy has been.
Then I thought OMG I can't say that. Then I thought about how x would take it and told him anyway. He was highly amused. grin

Sook Sat 24-Aug-13 23:38:50

Nellie grin knowing me and my big mouth I probably would have said it and then thought OMG I can't believe I've just said that.

Shelby grin

thatbags Sun 25-Aug-13 07:47:59

deedaa, that happens here too. I put it down to CBA Syndrome (can't be arsed).

shelby, love it. Henceforth I am the hedging fairy (as well as a whole troop of other species of wee people). How appropriate that I started reading The Little Grey Men by BB this morning.

nightowl Sun 25-Aug-13 08:04:00

I'm currently seeing how long the kitchen bin will be left full. It's very inconvenient as I'm having to store small piles of rubbish and take them straight outside but hey, it's all in the cause of my scientific study of the male brain. Problem is, I don't think I can last out once it starts to smell.

Iam64 Sun 25-Aug-13 08:04:55

I love the idea of a CBA Syndrome thatbags. My husband always did Tuesday evenings meal. It was always jacket spuds, coleslaw or salad and a can of tuna along with cheese or ham, whatever was left in the fridge from the weekend. The children called it DCBB, dad can't be bothered ....

Thistledoo Sun 25-Aug-13 10:00:13

Thatbags, you are a superwoman, you deserve a medal for all that hard work, breadmaking hedge lopping, pruning, and then being expected to drive DD to riding lesson. Well done for getting shouty and cross, if that had been me I would have had a tantrum. wine

finocchio Sun 25-Aug-13 10:16:21

I thought getting shouty and cross was a tantrum. wink

MamaCaz Sun 25-Aug-13 10:20:03

Nightowl: You have my sympathy. I once tried that experiment with the little bathroom wastebin. At the time, DS and partner were living with us, and as DH and I rarely if ever used the bin, I couldn't see why the hell I should have to empty it - yet again - when it started to overflow. If I remember rightly, it was a good couple of months before one of them finally got the message! Pretty certain it was DS, as his (ex) partner was the laziest cow you could possibly imagine.

petallus Sun 25-Aug-13 10:25:03

Since I got up this morning I have gone out in the rain at 7 am to drive daughter to where she left her car last night, dealt with several texts requesting information/help from one of the (adult) grandchildren, had a long conversation with another (adult) grandson who lives with me about life, made a start on sorting out all our books, dusting, moving furniture.

DH has got up and sat in a chair fiddling with his ipad and only half listening to anything I say to him. Last night he was totally preoccupied with a football match and I sloped off upstairs to amuse myself.

I have to nudge him into doing jobs like the washing up, or putting his stuff away.

If I protest at all of this he doesn't feel guilty, he feels hard done by.

I think if we form a Shouty and Cross Club I should be a senior level member!

thatbags Sun 25-Aug-13 11:02:19

petallus, I think DH sometimes feels hard done by when I ask him to do things too, but if he even looks it I, ahem, put him right. Since the pair of them got back yesterday he has been awfully sweet. They both know that when I'm "reduced" to figurative boots up their backsides, it means they've gone too bloody far in assuming my usual adaptability and accommodations of their whims and caprices will stretch to infinity.

All great family fun, what? wink

soop Sun 25-Aug-13 11:43:52

That's exactly what it is, thatbags "family fun" It's what families do...test each other to almost breaking point, just because they can...smile

petallus Sun 25-Aug-13 11:44:27

Yes, I need to toughen up.

It's really strange. Two more calls from GC, one stressed about his pet wild bird having something wrong with it's eye, the other asking for his passport to be rushed down to the railway station before the train gets in.

Both times DH answered phone and then passed it to me (at their request).

Annoying but, oh the power!

thatbags Sun 25-Aug-13 12:16:26

The kind of power I can (and do!) quite happily do without. DD had her LAST EVER reminder that if she wants clean school uniform on a Monday she has to put it in the laundry basket before Sunday evening (preferably on Friday evening). I refuse to pick it up off her bedroom floor.

If she ever even speaks to me about her uniform on a Monday morning again (can't find my this; there aren't any clean that), I'll ask her what she is going to do about it.

I'm on a roll!

shelby75 Sun 25-Aug-13 12:28:29

Thinking that I shouldn't complain. This morning OH got up with toddler boy, took him out for breakfast, went shopping then went to the play park, all the while I was having a lie-in. grin Teen girl has only just got up shock

thatbags Sun 25-Aug-13 12:29:43

Teenagers are like babies – growing fast, need lots of sleep. smile

janeainsworth Sun 25-Aug-13 12:37:44

Thatbags useful to remember the hard mother's answer to the question 'Where are my trainers?'
'Where you left them.' wink

soop Sun 25-Aug-13 12:38:48

jane I like it. grin

shelby75 Sun 25-Aug-13 12:44:05

thatbags your right of course, I remember a lady telling me once that whilst her children were growing up, a GP friend had told her that growing up/puberty took a lot of energy and really does take it out of them so let them sleep.

jane - That's me grin

thatbags Sun 25-Aug-13 12:44:53

Me too smile

Elegran Sun 25-Aug-13 12:54:10

Bags My two daughters were about the age of Minibags when I rebelled. I would pick up their clothes from the floor, wash them and return them folded. First rebellion was that if things were not in the laundry basket they would not get washed.So then they scooped everything up and stuffed it in.

Then one day I realised that a whole machine load of clothes were ones which I had delivered pristine the previous day - impossible to have worn them all. Light dawned - they would try each thing on, reject it and fling it down. Then it would all be sent to Mum's Laundry Service.

I led them to the washing machine, gave them a short conducted tour of how to use it, showed them how to separate tough clothes which needed a hot wash from more delicate coloureds which need warm, and how to hang things up to dry, and told them they were on their own with the washing from then on.

I seemed to buy more detergent after that, but it worked. When their little brother became a teenager, they insisted that he did his own washing too - what is sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander!

petallus Sun 25-Aug-13 13:12:22

I can't remember what I did with my daughters who are both now in their forties.

However, in a situation like the one you mention thatbags I think I would be so concerned that DD was going to school in a dirty uniform I would cave in at the last minute.

I realised some time ago I can't live up to the tough-lovers amongst us grin

thatbags Sun 25-Aug-13 13:24:47

I think that will be my approach very soon (from next weekend even!?; I'll see how it goes), elegran! I've even got a spare clothes horse 'tower' that she can stand next to her bedroom radiator for when it's too wet outside wink.

Condensation isn't a problem here. It's an airy house.