Gransnet forums

AIBU

BBC Breakfast comment this morning

(38 Posts)
KatyK Tue 27-Aug-13 09:39:04

Maybe I am a bit touchy but on BBC Breakfast this morning the male presenter (Bill Turnbull I think he is called) was interviewing Claire Sweeney and John Thomson about their new play. They explained that they had to play the characters from their 20s to their 60s. Bill asked 'how do you go about playing someone in their 60s, do you have to be bent over with a touch of arthritis?' Really? Is that how they see people in their 60s? No wonder they get accused of ageism. Rant over.

HildaW Tue 27-Aug-13 09:46:49

Daft thing is.....Bill Turnball won't see 50 again I suspect, so he should be careful (not of getting the sack because the men seem to go on FOREVER on tv) but he's no spring chicken!

KatyK Tue 27-Aug-13 09:51:57

I looked him up. I think he's 56. Not long until he's 'bent over' then!

bluebell Tue 27-Aug-13 09:58:00

I despair!!

whenim64 Tue 27-Aug-13 10:12:56

I don't know where they get these presenters from - some of them are just plain daft!

gracesmum Tue 27-Aug-13 10:21:21

Ouch! (and that's not the aarthritis!)

KatyK Tue 27-Aug-13 10:28:47

Thinking about it, maybe he was (in his way) making a joke. Perhaps I jumped in too quick. It didn't seem like a joke but on reflection I can't believe someone of his age would say that seriously. I take offence very easily these days !

Ceesnan Tue 27-Aug-13 10:51:23

You are not alone there KatyK, I know quite a few people who seem to be getting more and more touchy as they get older.

Nonu Tue 27-Aug-13 10:55:14

Ceesnan -- smile

gracesmum Tue 27-Aug-13 11:47:20

Never! wink

Ceesnan Tue 27-Aug-13 13:00:01

grin

gracesmum Tue 27-Aug-13 13:32:41

I may have my odd aches and pains but it is my 31 year-old DD who suffers from a particularly nasty form of arthritis. sad So I am glad he didn't make the comment in my hearing.

Iam64 Tue 27-Aug-13 14:14:49

As someone whose had inflammatory and osteo arthritis since her late 20's, I get touchy about people who are insensitive about arthritis. A friends adopted daughter had juvenile rheumatoid arthritis, and had callipers fitted at age 4 to help her. I often wish there was better understanding about arthritis, it isn't "just" something we all get as we get older. I find these light entertainment presenters tedious, maybe it's because of the pain in my neck.....

dorsetpennt Tue 27-Aug-13 14:21:51

I have had arthritis since my late 50's - I am not 'bent over' and at 69 years old I'm still working part time in a job that requires some hefty lifting. As an internet picker I have to lift crates full of shopping onto the appropriate section. I suffer a lot of pain kept at bay with various tablet and exercise. Stupid man

Galen Tue 27-Aug-13 14:29:11

I'm almost 69. I can hardly walk a few steps without pain. Use crutches all the time when outside and now have very painful R wrist!
Good job I didn't hear it or the remote would be through the screen!angry
I was actually watching cbeebies, not my normal choice but DGD is staying!hmm

MiceElf Tue 27-Aug-13 14:53:17

For a man who has enjoyed (whisper) an Eton education, he is surprisingly ill informed.

bluebell Tue 27-Aug-13 15:09:19

Not at all surprising!

ginny Tue 27-Aug-13 15:42:03

Certainly a silly comment to make. He obviously doesn't have any problem with arthritis and those who haven't find it hard to image what it is like. as for getting more 'touchy' as we get older, I seem to be finding the reverse. These days I tend to think 'Ok, whatever' !

KatyK Tue 27-Aug-13 16:09:37

I am trying persuade myself he was joking (although it didn't seem that way) after my initial annoyance. Trying to give him the benefit of the doubt. Pretty insensitive even if meant in a jocular fashion. I'm afraid I do take offence far too easily these days. Must try harder.

Galen Tue 27-Aug-13 16:23:27

What? To take offence?hmm

bikergran Tue 27-Aug-13 17:19:31

right! well! what about inviting him in Gransnet?? (I could pick him up on my bike)!! (mind you! I would have to deflate Eric first)for those who are not familiar with Eric, he is my inflatable friend ! wink

KatyK Tue 27-Aug-13 17:26:57

Must try harder to take things with a pinch of salt !

MrsSB Tue 27-Aug-13 17:43:28

Katy, even if he was joking, it was a very silly comment to make. I think I'd have been very irritated too if I'd heard him.

KatyK Tue 27-Aug-13 18:32:00

MrsSB. Yes it was.

LizG Tue 27-Aug-13 18:33:11

I think it was a silly thing to say too even in jest. Arthritis is very painful in all its forms. Galen I can imagine you throwing your remote through the TV screen but I bet you enjoy Justin on CBeebies grin