Gransnet forums

AIBU

BBC Breakfast comment this morning

(39 Posts)
KatyK Tue 27-Aug-13 09:39:04

Maybe I am a bit touchy but on BBC Breakfast this morning the male presenter (Bill Turnbull I think he is called) was interviewing Claire Sweeney and John Thomson about their new play. They explained that they had to play the characters from their 20s to their 60s. Bill asked 'how do you go about playing someone in their 60s, do you have to be bent over with a touch of arthritis?' Really? Is that how they see people in their 60s? No wonder they get accused of ageism. Rant over.

Deedaa Tue 27-Aug-13 22:34:36

Actually it must be quite difficult nowadays to do a play that requires that sort of aging. I haven't changed agreat deal in the last 20 years - in fact I'm a lot more mobile with my new knees. My daughter is in her late 30's but could easily be a 20 something and gets mistaken for a student at the University. When I was a child it was much easier, you left school and started dressing like a grown up, in your 40's you were moving towards pastel colours and just a touch of lipstick and by 60 you were definitely sliding into old age and granny hood and probably started to stock up on Complan and Benger's Food.

I love Justin!!! Can't wait for the new grandson to be old enough to watch him grin

kittylester Wed 28-Aug-13 07:01:26

I love Justin but my daughters all find him creepy confused

thatbags Wed 28-Aug-13 07:12:15

Maybe we just need to accept that TV presenters will say silly things sometimes. After all, they are only people, and most people do say silly things sometimes.

Though, actually, if the question was as in the OP, I don't think it's all that bad. If you look at what he was asking (how does one actor play a person who is twenty and a person who is sixty?) rather than how he asked it, it seems like a reasonable question. Good make-up will clearly play a part, different clothes and hairstyles presumably...

Bags wanders off wondering what proportion of the over-sixties does have "a touch of arthritis".

Mamie Wed 28-Aug-13 07:16:59

Frankly I would be astonished to hear Bill Turnbull say anything sensible at all. BBC Breakfast has been almost bearable over the summer while the vacuous and incoherent "regular" presenters have been away..

petallus Wed 28-Aug-13 08:15:05

I was told I had a 'touch of arthritis' in my neck when I was in my early forties. Didn't give me much trouble.

In my sixties I developed polymyalgia rhuematica which causes severe aches all over the body and which would be quite crippling without medication. This condition seems to be quite common in elderly women.

Many people develop hip problems. Anyway, one loses height as the spine shrinks and curves. The whole body becomes stiffer. Sometimes when I am walking behind someone who looks and dresses in a young fashion I can still tell they are older by the set and flexibility of their body.

The radio comment was fairly accurate and entirely inoffensive IMO.

annodomini Wed 28-Aug-13 08:59:00

With you on all that, petallus- stiff as a plank this morning, after travelling home yesterday. Now I have to wind myself up and get going! Limping a bit with swollen achilles tendons. Ouch....

whenim64 Wed 28-Aug-13 09:46:09

anno yesterday, I was talking to a young woman of 25, who says she wakes up as stiff as a board every morning. She doesn't have any medical condition that causes it, but has been stock car racing for the last few months and yesterday had her neck in a brace. The doctor she saw told her if she keeps this up, she'll soon know what it feels like to be an eighty-year old with arthritis!

vegasmags Wed 28-Aug-13 10:38:04

I can't be doing with morning so-called news on TV - they all seem to be more of a magazine type thing, often with thinly disguised adverts for their own upcoming programmes. I have very rarely heard of the so-called celebs they invite on or talk about. It's such a relief to turn on Radio 4 and actually find out what is going on in the world. OMG, I suppose this means I'm turning into an old fogey. Oh well, so be it, I've probably been one for years and just haven't noticed.

ninathenana Wed 28-Aug-13 12:23:18

Justin/Mr. Tumble are great.
DGS has learnt lots of signs with which to communicate with DGS#2 who has C.P.

I think Bill Turnball has an individual take on humour. I do like him but agree the comment was crass.

whenim64 Wed 28-Aug-13 12:29:54

Love Mr Tumble! I went to see him last year with the grandchildren. I don't know who enjoyed themselves most! grin

annodomini Wed 28-Aug-13 16:50:07

I don't think, vegas, that BBC Breakfast is meant to be a news programme. A magazine programme is the usual description as it combines serious and trivial material. No need to watch it, though. The Today programme on Radio 4 is the best bet in my experience and always has been, though I do make the odd foray into the tabloid world of 5 Live Breakfast.

whenim64 Wed 28-Aug-13 17:32:11

Anno we know that but they don't seem to! grin

'BBC Breakfast is a national British morning television news programme simulcast on BBC One and the BBC News channel. It is presented live from Salford.......'

I agree with you, Radio 4 does the job much better!

Deedaa Wed 28-Aug-13 21:44:23

We were using sign language with my grandson before he learned to talk ninahtenanaand Mr. Tumble was a great help. I thought it was a bit OTT when we started but it really made life much easier and cut down on the frustration of him not being able to say what he wanted (and boy does he tell us what he wants now!!!)