Gransnet forums

AIBU

To think playpens are a short term safety device and not a prison?

(35 Posts)
Atqui Fri 30-Aug-13 09:57:28

My dd is finding life hard with a 13 month old ,into everything baby, but won't have a playpen. To be fair it's not because she thinks its un pc but says it wouldn't work. Having spent time looking after DGD and of course our own children, I think they are a godsend. if only to be able to go to the loo without having to move everything and have the loo roll decimated.

hummingbird Sun 01-Sep-13 22:06:24

I couldn't bear to use a playpen after watching a friend's little one pile up all her toys in the corner to try to climb out. Neither of my children have used them either. Might be different for twins, though! grin

j08 Sun 01-Sep-13 22:15:06

I think when they get to that stage hummingbird, it's time to let them out!

Nelliemoser Sun 01-Sep-13 22:38:59

Perhaps the modern dislike of these goes along with the lack of harnesses. These and playpens seem now to be considered as undignified restraints instead of a sensible and convenient safety measure.

Somewhere safe to put the baby when cooking or answering the door.
I used one in the garden to keep the kids on the blanket on the lawn and stop them eating the mud or the flowers.

In many ways they allow babies more freedom by giving them a safe place to play.

nightowl Sun 01-Sep-13 23:03:04

I'm not sure that having or not having a playpen is any different now than when my children were young. I never had one nor did anyone I knew. I don't recall having any strong feelings against them, or hearing any expressed, but I just never felt the need for one. DD doesn't use one either, but a young friend of mine uses one for her 18 month old. Funnily enough, when I visit her with DGS aged almost 3, he always makes a beeline for it and will happily spend hours in there on his own grin

Aka Sun 01-Sep-13 23:15:12

I turned ours into a ball pit and the GC loved to spend time in it.

Elegran Sun 01-Sep-13 23:22:21

If playpens were marketed complete with a box of plastic balls, they would be snapped up as mini ball-pits.

Aka Mon 02-Sep-13 07:18:15

Exactly my point!

Gally Mon 02-Sep-13 07:35:39

I have a 5 sided, heavy, modern cast iron one which is mainly used as a fireguard or room divider when the gc's are here.. Also good for keeping the (now deceased) dog in the kitchen without having to shut her in completely. I had a 'lobster pot' for DD1 and inherited an old wooden one for the other 2 but it wasn't used very much. I had a friend who used her playpen herself to do the ironing safely away from the children grin

felice Mon 02-Sep-13 15:51:28

We also use reins for DGS, the Belgians were horrified, 'why is the baby on a leash' then his Godfather spent the morning chasing him around a flea market and was seen rummaging in the baby bag for them and now, never takes him anywhere without them, DGS knows as soon as he sees them that he is going somewhere 'exciting', French SIL also loves them. I like them for walking him up and down stairs as I know if he takes off too fast I can catch him. Only place we could buy them in Belguim was Mothercare.