Gransnet forums

AIBU

First-time grandma, desperate to see granddaughter:'(

(30 Posts)
wisehedgecrone Thu 05-Sep-13 13:03:59

Hi, my daughter had her first and probably only child early in August. My daughter has a congenital disability and we were fearful the baby would inherit it, but that didn't happen. My daughter's early days, weeks, months and all through her adolescence were dominated by her health issues which were very worrying as well as rare. We are so happy for her that despite everything she has forged herself an independent career, found a wonderful loving and supportive partner and had a beautiful baby. However, we would love to be part of the baby's growing up and it feels now as if my daughter is trying to hold us at arm's length. She has always 'blown hot and cold' and we often have had to walk on eggshells, and it seems that it's the same now. She doesn't ring up to share experiences, chat or let us know how she's doing and if I text or email it's generally ignored, which I find very hurtful and I feel devastated and rejected. We love her so much and understand her need for space because we felt similar needs when ours were new, but we did visit our parents often so that they could get to know their granddaughters and form a bond with them. I am so anxious about being sidelined and I know it's my problem, not my daughter's, and suspect I am just being clingy and needy and I certainly don't want to be that or to convey how sad and rejected I feel to my daughter as she is struggling with breastfeeding and feeling low in confidence as it is. I have tried instead to send loving and encouraging texts now and then, but I just wish the painful silence could be broken somehow. Any advice, anyone? Am I just being unreasonable feeling as sad and depressed as I do?

KatyK Fri 06-Sep-13 18:17:56

That's exactly it Rowantree although I don't get a rebuke really - just a sort of 'oh that was ages ago' attitude. I think we are all in the same boat with some things. In my DD's case, it's just thoughtlessness I'm sure. She has a lot on her plate. confused

Atqui Fri 06-Sep-13 20:09:52

Rows tree. I do hope you manage tomsortboutbthe problem soon. it must be heartbreaking. I hope it has nothing to do with S I L

Flowerofthewest Sun 08-Sep-13 18:49:18

I do so agree regarding the NCT having a lot to answer for. The dad bonding thing also. My DDH bonded with our son as did my ex with our 4 children. He wasn't there at the birth in the early 70s and still bonded and has a lovely relationship with them. Family members were welcomed and made for a wonderful upbringing. The world has gone NCT mad.

I do feel for you Wishedgecrone, I am estranged from two of my grandchildren but I am sure that with gentle persistence you DD will come round. Just give them time to enjoy the sleepless nights and they will probably need you before long. sending you hugs to be going on with.

annodomini Sun 08-Sep-13 20:14:46

My son and his partner 'did' the NCT thing but events panned out that they needed me both times and this certainly didn't prevent any bonding going on. Families are should be inclusive.