Gransnet forums

AIBU

... to feel annoyed when professionals get the blame?

(30 Posts)
janeainsworth Tue 10-Sep-13 21:37:51

Small report in today's Telegraph that 'experts' have warned that children are becoming obese because health visitors are worried about offending their parents shock
Excuse me? I thought children became obese because they ate too much of the wrong sort of food given to them by their parents.
I sometimes think that the combined wisdom of Gransnet could do a better job than the 'experts'.
angry

Grannylin Thu 12-Sep-13 22:10:40

www.google.co.uk/search?q=omelette+norvegienne+recette&client=mobilesearchapp&hl=en&v=3.0.2.20993&source=mobilesearchapp&channel=iss&rlz=1MDAPLB_enGB525GB525&qscrl=1&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=Hi0yUvLIHeHC7Aa35ICgBQ&ved=0CDAQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=686&dpr=1
Love that story Jen- never knew that and thought I was pretty good at French!

Jendurham Thu 12-Sep-13 22:16:29

This was 1979 or 1980, so it did not look as ornate as many of those even though it was a very posh restaurant. Ken and I both studied A level French, but somehow Baked Alaska did not appear in our vocabulary.

Greatnan Thu 12-Sep-13 22:46:03

France is not an easy place for vegetarians. You might get offered a cheese omelette if you are lucky.

Jendurham Thu 12-Sep-13 23:02:40

When we went there we used to stay in vegetarian guest houses, which were usually run by English people. One we stayed at in Normandy, I think, had a foie gras farm next to it. It did so well that the owners bought the farm and freed the geese.
I was looking through all the photos yesterday because my 11 year old grandson needed some French photos for the cover of his French book. Most of the photos of places to eat were creperies. Galettes are very nice. In fact when we had a guest house in York, I used to cook buckwheat pancakes for breakfast.
We once stayed at a farm in Brittany and had a very good conversation with the farmer and his wife about vegetarianism, helped by their teenage daughter and a dictionary.