Gransnet forums

AIBU

Apparently it's a write-off!

(36 Posts)
Anne58 Thu 12-Sep-13 16:26:42

My car, that is.

Just had a call from B, the friend I lent the car to. The insurance assessor phoned him to say that one of the body work parts needed to repair it is no longer produced, and they are offering to write the car off!

Surely they must be able to source a second hand one from somewhere, EBay, a breakers yard etc?

I am [cross] and sad

kittylester Thu 12-Sep-13 16:33:09

phoenix, that's awful. I remember how much you did for these friends and I think they have behaved appallingly. What a mess (((hugs)))

petallus Thu 12-Sep-13 16:34:37

In view of what has gone on before, can you rely on this information?

Do you know the name of their insurance company?

Ana Thu 12-Sep-13 16:34:54

They won't do that, it's more trouble than it's worth to them. You could source the part yourself and the Insurance company would probably then pay up...

Marelli Thu 12-Sep-13 16:42:33

Are the friends prepared to help you in any way over this, phoenix? Are they just saying that 'it's happened and it's just too bad'? I can't actually remember al of the details, but did one of them not damage your car, and not tell you?

Movedalot Thu 12-Sep-13 16:46:58

These are 'friends'? Nope, they have strung you along for far too long when they must have known they would have to fess up eventually. What does Mr P say? Have they offered to replace the car? Perhaps they were only covered for third party so the insurance company are not involved at all? I don't swear but feel like it now. [hug]

JessM Thu 12-Sep-13 16:54:24

What is the value the insurance company are offering then?

JessM Thu 12-Sep-13 16:55:26

If it is not too personal a question - what I mean is, if it's a write off, presumably you should get a cheque, really soon?

Ana Thu 12-Sep-13 16:58:30

But will the cheque go to the 'friends'? hmm

kittylester Thu 12-Sep-13 17:01:59

Presumably, if the insurance is in their name. angry

Sel Thu 12-Sep-13 17:02:06

I think there are different categories of 'write offs' Does what they are offering equate to the whole value of the car prior to your lending it to your friend? If so would it perhaps be better to accept and replace with a second hand equivalent if that's possible?

I agree with Movedalot on questioning if they are friends. flowers

Anne58 Thu 12-Sep-13 17:36:03

Thanks to all. I have spoken to my Ds, who is very clued up about these things, and yes Sel there are different categories.

When B phoned I said that I wanted to think about the options before getting back to him.

I think I will start by asking what the insurers are offering, and also which specific part are they saying is no longer available. I could then do a bit of a search to see if I can source the part. The car also has a fairly valuable registration number. Apparently the NFU have already said that it could be put on a retention certificate, so that I would be able to sell that separately. (Any Katherines or Kathleens out there?)

Then of course there is the fact that J originally had got a quote from some local firm who seemed to think they could fix it.

Sorry, a bit rambly and unstructured, NOT a good day, after spending over an hour doing JSA application on line, then getting a text from them to say that they are proposing joint income based JSA, and need Mr P to attend too. They have more chance of plaiting snot.

JessM Thu 12-Sep-13 17:36:13

Well yes, but it is Phoenix's car so they should hand over the dosh surely. Or am i missing something?

Nelliemoser Thu 12-Sep-13 17:54:00

Oh Phoenix What a flipping mess this all is. I really feel for you. You don't need all this hassle along with job hunting etc. (((hugs)))

Bez Thu 12-Sep-13 17:57:16

Is it possible that they would 'sell' the car back to you and deduct that amount from the money they pay you? I had a car some years ago that the insurance did that for and I had a man do the repairs. The money I had from the Ins Co almost covered the bill - and the man did a great job on fixing the door panel!

merlotgran Thu 12-Sep-13 18:29:43

I was just going to suggest the same, Bez. You should be able to get the money and the car (strike a deal) then you can get the necessary replacement bits from a local breaker's yard who sell vehicle parts.

Iam64 Thu 12-Sep-13 18:45:28

Phoenix - what a horrible mess this is for you. If your car is a write off, I imagine you may find it hard to replace it with the value they give you. Can you check the best 2nd hand value for your car, and make sure your pals give you at least that. So sorry to hear this latest update

Anne58 Thu 12-Sep-13 19:37:54

Well, J phoned a short while ago. Apparently I'm very lucky that they insured it fully comp. confused

The insurance company are offering £1,400, plus arranging to put the reg. number on a retention certificate and pay all associated costs. Also it would seem that when they took it to Mr X in the village, he said it needed new springs, shock absorbers etc etc so of course it would cost a fair bit to get it through the MOT (which is due).

Mr P feels that we should go down the route of telling J & B to accept the offer, and I think he could be right. Mr P had a quick look on the "We buy any car.com" website and their valuation (just based on vehicle model, age & mileage) was a lot lower. (Although I would never advise anyone to sell a car that way, they undervalue by a considerable amount)

I think I probably will phone her tomorrow and tell her to go ahead with the write-off, but I feel a bit miffed that there has never been even a hint of an apology. In fact, it is now being put across as a lucky stroke of fortune! Several mentions of "that figure is not to be sneezed at, think what you could do with it, also think how much it will cost you to get through MOT etc"

The worst bit is the lies, but I cannot confront that issue because I'm not sure, oh heck, let's go for bullet point options!

1) B lied to J about what happened. If I tell J what B told us the other night, then they might fall out.
2) J knew what really happened and she decided to lie about it to us.
3) The above, but she doesn't know that B has since come clean

To quote a cliché "lessons have been learned" and I doubt very much if I will ever lend a car again.

(Actually, I think I might have "mug" tattooed somewhere, as when I got my divorce settlement, I lent a friend £1,500 and never got a penny back. Any one available to do a spot of debt collection in the Stafford area?)

Galen Thu 12-Sep-13 20:33:48

I would write them off as "friends", more like fiends!

merlotgran Thu 12-Sep-13 20:34:37

Glad you seem to be getting to the end of the nightmare, phoenix but I wonder why they let it drag on when it could all have been sorted out when the damage first happened?

Thank goodness they had fully comp insurance. Now you can move on from it all. smile

Galen Thu 12-Sep-13 20:35:42

How much do you think the car might have been worth when you lent it?
This is NOT the same as it was insured for?

Elegran Thu 12-Sep-13 21:46:16

You could also point out that THEY are very lucky that they insured it fully comp. because returning it to its previous value (as borrowed) is THEIR responsibility.

Introduce them to the friend you lent £1.500 to, then they can lend one another cars and cash. They deserve one another.

harrigran Thu 12-Sep-13 22:30:20

With friends like this who needs enemies ? I suggest you distance yourself from these people.

Anne58 Thu 12-Sep-13 23:03:24

Thank you all for the responses. Galen I think tbh the car was probably worth around £1,200 ish, so in that regard it's not a bad option, but it's the other aspects that are pissing me off making me less than happy.

Yes, I will miss the car, I really rather liked it, yes, I will probably be perhaps better off if I take the write off money, but it's the lies and lack of apology that hurt.

Sel Thu 12-Sep-13 23:12:58

phoenix financially that doesn't sound like a bad deal and it would settle the matter. Perhaps you could find a similar car and put your reg on it and pretend. An awful thing for your friends to do though and to take so long - appalling. I'm sure it will be hard for you to get over that part of it. flowers on a bad day.