Gransnet forums

AIBU

Apparently it's a write-off!

(37 Posts)
Anne58 Thu 12-Sep-13 16:26:42

My car, that is.

Just had a call from B, the friend I lent the car to. The insurance assessor phoned him to say that one of the body work parts needed to repair it is no longer produced, and they are offering to write the car off!

Surely they must be able to source a second hand one from somewhere, EBay, a breakers yard etc?

I am [cross] and sad

Anne58 Fri 13-Sep-13 00:09:45

Thanks all.

Sel the reg doesn't mean anything to me, so no desire to put on any car! However, I may now look properly into selling it, as I believe it is easier to sell on a certificate than on a car.

Trying to keep my optimists head on, i.e. every cloud has a silver lining....

(Exit stage left, whistling "Always look on the bright side of life.....

Lona Fri 13-Sep-13 06:41:13

flowers phoenix I know how hurtful it is when friends lie, it shows such a lack of moral fibre.
Chin up ((hugs))

Riverwalk Fri 13-Sep-13 09:04:52

Phoenix I hope this situation doesn't escalate ........ did you get them to sign the car back over to your ownership?

Any forthcoming cheque will be in his/her name.

sunseeker Fri 13-Sep-13 10:00:45

I have only just come to this discussion (have now read the "doing someone a favour" thread). I think you need to be careful in dealing with these people as they may decide as the car is in their name to keep the insurance money for themselves.

They have treated you very badly after your kindness. Perhaps you could start telling a few "hard luck" stories of your own. I appreciate you are concerned for them, especially the wife's health, but you also have to consider your own position. Can you afford to lose the car and the insurance money?

Anne58 Fri 13-Sep-13 10:18:15

Good morning all, and many thanks for all the good wishes.

sunseeker I am 100% confident that they will pass on the money they get from the insurers, I know they haven't exactly behaved well through all this saga, but they def. wouldn't go that far!

On the subject of the number plate, it was on the car when we bought it, the owner had previously transferred it from another vehicle but didn't want to bother this time around as she was moving abroad somewhere. I have never had any desire to have a personalised plate, there would always be something I would rather spend the money on! When I last had it valued (the registration) it was between £750 and £1,000 shock I doubt if we would actually get that much for it, but we will see!

Movedalot Fri 13-Sep-13 11:16:45

phoenix like you I have no desire to own a personalised number plate and so don't know much about it. Have you looked into how you transfer it to a new owner? It looks to me as if at the moment your ex-friends own it so you will need to get it transferred to you before you can realise its value. I just think you need to look into this carefully before the car is declared a write off, no idea how the retention thing works but I wouldn't trust these people an inch. Good luck and I hope it all works out in the end.

Anne58 Fri 13-Sep-13 11:24:01

Thank you Moved I'm feeling more confident that all will work out, fingers crossed!

Anne58 Fri 13-Sep-13 17:50:17

Well, 'tis done! phoned J & B just now and said we would accept the NFU's offer, providing they will definitely arrange transfer of the registration to a certificate. (I also asked them to take the stereo out, don't see why that should get scrapped or whatever)

J is still presenting it as an enormous stroke of luck though, which I find a bit erm "unfortunate"

However, Mr P feels that if the car does need new shocks, springs etc, then it probably would cost around £400 to get it through it's MOT.

So, chapter closed and all (hopefully) well.

Ana Fri 13-Sep-13 18:08:40

Probably not such a stroke of good luck anyway, phoenix - fully comp is often cheaper than third party only these days. How can she look you in the eye ever again?

Glad it's sorted and you're not going to be too much out of pocket! smile

ginny Fri 13-Sep-13 18:12:55

My you are certainly far more patient than me. These "friends" have really tested you. I would have to really talk all this through with them. However I am glad you feel able to put this all away.

Anne58 Fri 13-Sep-13 19:03:27

Life's too short ginny. After all, it's only a car and I don't think I have lost out, and currently I have more important things on my mind.

The lies hurt, though.