Gransnet forums

AIBU

spiders!! (big) and conkers!!

(78 Posts)
bikergran Sat 28-Sep-13 13:07:18

anyone else started being invaded with the BIG spiders..shock the ones with BIG legs little bodies.. one of our cats shot! across the lounge the other night and cornerd one..so got my glass caught it and took it outside threw it in bushes (the spider that is! not the cat) smile then about 20 mins after this other BIG spider (would have sworn it was it's twin) ran hell for leather across the room! so out comes the glass again! it must have measured approx. 2 full inch with it's legs splayed!
now then! apparently earlier this week they were talking about invasion of spiders coming in the home..and! if you place "conkers" around the home it deters the spiders! I seem to have heard this before somewhere..so of course whos going conkering soon grin

PRINTMISS Tue 08-Oct-13 08:09:30

We have spiders indoors, and watch the odd one or two run across the living room carpet - depends what is on t.v. whether they stay or not! No seriously, they do not bother us, and I always understood that they are good at keeping other insects at bay. Why are people frightened of these things, they are quite small, and you can crush them with a finger if need be (horrible!). The only time I have ever removed a spider is when one was lingering on the ceiling of the bedroom, and I had visions of lying on my back asleep with my mouth open, and him(her) winding down on a web and entering the open space.

whenim64 Tue 08-Oct-13 08:14:22

No spider that comes near the floor survives in this house. My dog worries them, and jumps up and down on them till they're dead, then walks away leaving the body for me to remove grin

Brendawymms Tue 08-Oct-13 08:18:17

My husband lived in Madagascar many years ago and in the bungalow they had a tarantula living indoors and a large snake outside under the home. Between them there were no other intruders!

Bez Tue 08-Oct-13 08:21:30

We have had loads of small spiders here this year - had them for months now - at times I have opened a door and gone back a couple of minutes later to feel a web as I go through and no sign of a spider! I am going round all the time with my de-spiderising brush which is like a huge toilet brush with an extendable handle - does a good job.

maxgran Tue 08-Oct-13 14:25:23

My friend uses the conkers method of keeping spiders out - She reckons since she started doing it 3 years ago she has never seen a spider since.
She says its best to have the conkers in their green spikey shells - but it also seems to work with just the inner conker.

FlicketyB Tue 08-Oct-13 15:35:36

Huge conker trees outside our house that have started dropping all over the gravel. Spiders seem unfazed. I vacuumed the living room yesterday and found a whopping great spiders web where I had cleaned today.

henetha Tue 08-Oct-13 17:10:12

The biggest spider in the world ran cross my feet the other evening during
Downton Abbey! I leapt up, ran and got a plastic bowl which I threw over said spider, - amazingly capturing it without breaking it's legs! Then managed to get Sid the spider outside and threw him (gently) into the hedge.
One of the better side effects of living alone is that you just have to get on
and deal with things like this, as it's highly unlikely that Superman is going to zoom in and help.
I've now placed a conker on my bedroom window sill in case Sid decides to return and get his revenge during the night. Hope it works. shock

Flowerofthewest Tue 08-Oct-13 21:38:34

Have just seen the most enormous spider on FB. Found in by a family who called the fire-brigade who were too scared to move the thing and called a spider expert. It is the biggest British spider I have ever seen.

Flowerofthewest Tue 08-Oct-13 21:50:29

Apparently the Manchester Spider is a hoax and been doing the rounds for years - I have been reliably informed. - Sleep well folks

goldengirl Tue 08-Oct-13 22:06:09

I put my dressing gown on the other night and there was this HUGE, well LARGE bodied spider with long legs scurrying down my sleeve - on the outside fortunately. I screamed blue murder and I don't know who was most scared, the hairy crittur or me! DH didn't exactly come running to the rescue but he did managed to capture it and put it out. I shook like a jelly for a while afterwards and always give my dressing gown a shake now before I put it on. My study has loads of little body long legs ones but if they mind their own business and let me mind mine then so be it. Every time in the past when I tried to get rid two seem to come back to take its place confused

Flowerofthewest Tue 08-Oct-13 22:08:31

I once mislaid my net food cover to find it in my DS1's bedroom where he had used it to cover his face while he slept. I mentioned before that he also used it to cover his 'bits' and to keep the sheets away after his op.

bikergran Tue 08-Oct-13 22:27:27

one thing is nice to know!!! that we all kind to the spiders and don't go round stamping and swatting them! and we do return them to the outside world smile in a gentle manner..(although I have just emptied one out of the bedroom window on to the top of the conservatory roof) shock "well it was too much faffing to go downstairs with it unlock the door etc .....!

Sel Tue 08-Oct-13 22:49:29

Three different people have mentioned this conker remedy to me in the last week. Prior to that I'd never heard about it. One told me the key is heaps of them, not just an odd one.

I've never killed or removed spiders, they don't bother me. My SiL is scared of them and now my grandchildren are. For the first time I now find I have to bother about them or I might traumatize the children when they visit my spider haven. I'll collect some conkers to show willing.

soop Wed 09-Oct-13 12:34:08

Flower We purchased the anti-spider essence well over a year ago. Can honestly say that, since using, it we haven't had a visit from a spider. smile

Grannylin Wed 09-Oct-13 13:24:20

Just spent a lovely weekend with my 3year old DGS playing and being gentle with spiders, worms, snails and woodlice while his Mum hopped about squealing -don't understand confused As for mice and silverfish -yikes shock

goldengirl Wed 09-Oct-13 15:24:21

When I was small we lived in a very damp Victorian property where black beetles popped out from under the radiator. Much to my mother's horror I used to play with them. Yet show me a spider and I'm off!!

PRINTMISS Wed 09-Oct-13 17:10:20

Black beetles are my one hate! We were bombed out during the war and so moved house, where a new Anderson Shelter was erected in the garden for us. Over-night for about three nights we were totally over-run with black beetles and I can still hear the noise of them as my mum and dad collected them in pieces of newspaper and crushed them. I can now just tolerate them, but at one time I would assassinate them without a second thought. Can't think how I used to do that, would not occur to me now.

LizG Wed 09-Oct-13 17:25:52

Spiders no problems but snakes now that's another matter entirely!

My s.i.l whom I used to like (still do actually) caught a spider at my house and killed it. It quite upset me but both my DD and he are scared of them. I collected a load of conkers at the weekend and will be spreading them around. Did the same last year and it worked well.

NfkDumpling Wed 09-Oct-13 17:35:07

We had a very large black mini-tarantula living under the TV cabinet (by an air brick). Never had any other spiders downstairs. I haven't seen her for a while and fear she may have died of old age as now we are beset with lots of little fine long limbed spiders building webs all over the place and giving me work clearing them out. Hopefully another large lady will come in through the air brick and eat all the little ones again.

annodomini Wed 09-Oct-13 18:44:03

In one of our houses we had a spider that came out of the skirting board behind the TV - we called him Fred. He used to come out and wave his front legs at us and then go back in!

pamelaJEAN Wed 09-Oct-13 20:58:17

I have had loads of the so called pin head spiders, they are not easy to spot... a tiny pin head and long long legs...yuck....they have moved inside for the winter... making webs everywhere... three pin heads living down the side of the freezer, every morning I clean the webs away, but the little blighters scurry away before I can get them... I have tried the conker trick placing conkers in every corner of each room... but they dont seem to mind them... !!!

Skylark Fri 11-Oct-13 17:38:08

Oooh dear; not a fan of spiders here, and generally yell for OH to scoop them up and throw them outside. We've recently moved to a house in a village, and we saw RATS in the garden and the lane a few times. That is TOTALLY different ball game, and I got the rat man in. Not seen them since. Eeeeeeuuuuuugh!

NfkDumpling Fri 11-Oct-13 18:06:48

Pin head spiders. Is that what they're called. Very fine webs too. And they're every bloomin' where.

Skylark Fri 11-Oct-13 22:40:21

Prefer those to be ones with huge thick hairy legs!

MamaCaz Sat 12-Oct-13 19:53:59

Flowerofthewest, I am still laughing at your last post. grin