Gransnet forums

AIBU

spiders!! (big) and conkers!!

(77 Posts)
bikergran Sat 28-Sep-13 13:07:18

anyone else started being invaded with the BIG spiders..shock the ones with BIG legs little bodies.. one of our cats shot! across the lounge the other night and cornerd one..so got my glass caught it and took it outside threw it in bushes (the spider that is! not the cat) smile then about 20 mins after this other BIG spider (would have sworn it was it's twin) ran hell for leather across the room! so out comes the glass again! it must have measured approx. 2 full inch with it's legs splayed!
now then! apparently earlier this week they were talking about invasion of spiders coming in the home..and! if you place "conkers" around the home it deters the spiders! I seem to have heard this before somewhere..so of course whos going conkering soon grin

Tegan Sat 28-Sep-13 13:11:08

..I've got one under a cup in the living room..must go and find a way to take it outside. I did have one run at me when I was lying on the bed watching telly a few weeks ago but I'm afraid to say I killed it [normally try not to do that but it freaked me out; run along the floor, spider, but don't leap onto my bed and come after me....].

yogagran Sat 28-Sep-13 13:16:05

My DH always calls me when he finds a spider. I pretend that I've put it outside but usually pop it in a corner and tell it to make itself scarce! DH is none the wiser and is happy to go back in the room - wicked grin

sunseeker Sat 28-Sep-13 13:19:33

As I live in the countryside, trying to keep spiders out can be a full time job! I have found a product called "No More Spiders" (from Home Essentials). It is made with chestnut extract and clover leaf oil and I spray it around windows and doors (and anywhere else the blighters get in!) and it has reduced the number I find around the house.

Why is it that something so small scares the life out of me blush

tanith Sat 28-Sep-13 13:27:32

I've used conkers for the last 3 winters and it works in our house, might get the odd one but on the whole no spiders appear, I put the conkers by the front and patio doors and in 2 corners of each room downstairs.. I went and collected my conkers fresh as its apparently the smell that does the business... works for me. OH calls me for any kind of insect flying or otherwise the other day he nearly had a fit when a large dragon fly that had been whizzing around the pond all day made a b line for the living room and landed on the blind, it was so beautiful close up by OH was having a blue fit and left the room while I caught it and placed it back near the water.

annsixty Sat 28-Sep-13 13:43:22

Until recently we had a static holiday caravan and we were plagued with spiders but these were the huge bodied things. I did the conker thing on every windowsill and as much round doors that wasn't a hazard and it certainly worked for us.Although they lose the fresh smell (the conkers,not the spiders!!) they seemed to be effective until they were replaced the next season.

Bez Sat 28-Sep-13 14:13:51

Putting them around the edge etc must be the answer as I have tried them in bowls but it failed to work. At the moment we have dreadful cluster flies - eventually resorted to clearing all surfaces and spraying with a strong fly killer several nights in a row - no dead bodies and just as many flies!

bikergran Sat 28-Sep-13 16:51:42

Tegan I always catch them in a glass ( can keep my eye on them then) lol then I slide an envelope or something under the cup to contain the spider...I try not to trap its legs! then just fling it in the opposite direction...confused

Ana Sat 28-Sep-13 16:56:20

What, in the house...? shock confused

Lona Sat 28-Sep-13 16:58:33

I heard on the radio last week, (don't ask me what programme hmm ) that the conker thing has been proved to be rubbish!

tanith Sat 28-Sep-13 17:16:32

Well if it works for me I'll carry on using them, rubbish or not !

Anne58 Sat 28-Sep-13 17:46:52

Problem is, that round here it seems to be proper spider season, but too early for conkers!

PS Are you sure that the ones with tiny wee bodies and long legs are actually spiders, and not harvestmen?

harrigran Sat 28-Sep-13 17:50:44

I have trapped some enormous spiders in the last two days, I have one of those hoover thingies, I then take them outside and release them. I have learned to go right to the garden boundary though because a year or two ago a gigantic spider raced me back to the door and beat me into the house.
I found that conkers worked but have not acquired any this year.

Nonny Sat 28-Sep-13 19:42:22

I use along handled duster or feather duster to catch them in then shake them outside.

Deedaa Sat 28-Sep-13 21:00:27

Had a massive one in the bath earlier in the week. Had to dislodge it so I could use the bath but I think it's still around somewhere.

Brendawymms Sat 28-Sep-13 21:18:05

Spiders in the bath can escape with a length of loo roll draped down into the bath. They can then climb up the paper and escape. It's seems to be a bad year for spiders but my real hate are Daddylonglegs. I'm still scared of them. My brother used to chase me round the house with them caught between his fingers. Aren't brothers right ****s.

Hunt Sat 28-Sep-13 23:39:15

Had to use a wastepaper bin to catch one the other day. (actually it wasn't THAT big but the tumbler would have squashed it's toes.) When you put them outside they really do seem to be racing you for the back door. My country friend had a saying,''If you want to live and thrive, let the spider stay alive''

bikergran Sun 29-Sep-13 09:24:14

Ana lol.....as far away as I dare walk in my dressing gown grin

Aka Sun 29-Sep-13 10:00:31

Why do we only see them, especially the giant ones, at this time of year? And then where do they go? I'm sure they're living in our houses secretly all year and they just show themselves for a couple of weeks each year at this time of year hmm

Elegran Sun 29-Sep-13 11:03:28

The giant ones live in the garden until it gets cold enough for them to decide to move indoors. Quite intelligent of them really.

Ana Sun 29-Sep-13 11:09:39

It would be even more intelligent of them to keep out of sight once they're in...

Aka Sun 29-Sep-13 11:22:29

So why don't I see them in the winter months? Where are the beggars hiding then?

Flowerofthewest Tue 08-Oct-13 00:00:40

The Kleeneze book which drops through my letter box at intervals has an anti-spider spray - to spray around windows and doors - this contains Horse chestnut Oil so there may be some truth in the conker thing

Flowerofthewest Tue 08-Oct-13 00:03:19

My DH excuse for not removing used toilet roll inners is that he uses them for catching spiders to free them!!!! I've heard it all now. So that why, when I deliberately leave the empty rolls they accumulate. The other month my DH and DS managed to not remove around 12 of them (not spiders - toiled roll, rolls)[hmmm]

Eloethan Tue 08-Oct-13 00:10:45

I picked up a very large spider in my hand the other evening and put it outside. My son's partner said wasn't I afraid it would bite. I said spiders don't bite. She said they do. I looked it up on the internet and apparently they do - that was news to me.