The Granny Alphabet.

(31 Posts)
Ana Sat 28-Sep-13 17:59:29

Here's a sample:

www.thewomensroomblog.com/2013/09/09/the-granny-alphabet-by-tim-walker/

janeainsworth Sat 28-Sep-13 17:28:59

Bloody hell hilda!!!
In complete agreement with you.
The photos depict doddery old ladies, not grandes dames!
I dare say we might all come eventually to walking with a pronounced stoop, wearing pastel button up cardigans, and plastic pixie rain hoods, and no disrepect to those who do, but to suggest that such images are typical of modern grandmothers is way off the mark.
Surely the guy realises that most people become grandparents in their 40's 50's and 60's and not their 80's and 90's?

HildaW Sat 28-Sep-13 17:12:39

Have just done a general Google on it....its evidently supposed to raise funds for an organisation called 'Friends of the Elderly' which somehow makes it worse...or perhaps I'm missing the point....but the art work does not look ironic to me.

HildaW Sat 28-Sep-13 17:08:20

petallus, was just quoting what the book is described as by the Telegraph....but its the photos themselves that the book is comprised of that gets my goat. I'd be happy to be described as a grande dame...but that's not what the pictures show. I'd love to do a link but its beyond my technical abilities.

petallus Sat 28-Sep-13 17:04:04

Is there a link?

Why are you annoyed HildaW

I thought 'grande dame' meant something else confused

HildaW Sat 28-Sep-13 14:31:03

Am just perusing the Telegraph Magazine in today's paper...on page 22 it recommends Tim Walker's celebration of 'all things grande dame' and describes it as being full of 'affectionate portraits'.
Now, I am a Granny and I have a sense of humour and I am aware that bits of me are getting a bit worn out....but from what I can see in this magazine it is full of stale clichés that were out of date when my Grandma was alive. Normally I shrug this sort of thing off but honestly it has actually really annoyed me.
If anyone else sees this I'd be interested to know if its just me.