Gransnet forums

AIBU

What would YOU do?

(96 Posts)
Ladyblue Tue 01-Oct-13 23:15:08

About 4 weeks ago I had an email from my SIL accusing me of being unkind to my Granddaughter - she had told me she was looking for a job and I asked how it was going - absolutely nothing more!!! I was totally shocked as I had no idea what he was talking about, he then said to just forget it!! I was terribly hurt by the tone of the email and politely suggested to him that before he takes it into his head to chastise me like a naughtly child to check his facts first (actually ASK her what I had said!) He knew how much he had hurt me but rather than apologise he "unfriended" me on Facebook and behaved like nothing had gone on.
My DD tells me that it was nothing to do with her, she wasn't there! Now - am I being silly here - but if I knew that my husband had hurt my mothers feelings I would want to know EVERY detail of what happened! Now she in turn is treating me like a naughtly child and gave me a real mouthful when I asked her if she's OK the other day - she seemed strained at a family gathering. I was then told that I was saying she looked crap (had told her she looked lovely)...........I can't read this situation..............what does it look like from outside? I have got to the state where I no longer want to take this treatment from them and feel maybe it's time to step back.

bluebell Wed 02-Oct-13 20:27:52

I've just emailed GN suggesting that they must have planted JO because nothing else explains why she gets away with so much and has done for so long. The halcyon days when she was on holiday - sighs- and the sickening thread asking where she was and welcoming her back - FFS. Sorry absent to add to all the awfulness but some of us are just bloody fed up with her and are saying so. It is interesting this time that she's not getting her usual supporters speaking up for her

Greatnan Wed 02-Oct-13 20:27:42

Absent - please keep posting - we need your common sense views.

absent Wed 02-Oct-13 20:16:50

I have only just got round to reading this thread and, frankly, I wish I hadn't bothered. (Nothing to do with you Ladyblue). I started to make a comment and then realised that it would be completely pointless – as is becoming increasingly common on almost all the forums. sad

Greatnan Wed 02-Oct-13 20:16:08

Odd, I don't get routine emails from GNHQ and nor, I suspect, do many other people. Has it ever occurred to you, jingle, that your constant deletions might actually have something to do with the unpleasant things you sometimes say? Or do you think people are picking on you without any justification? You have been allowed to get away with telling people , including me, to fuck off, which would have got some people banned. You have been given a great deal of leeway but there must surely come a time when even your little band of loyal supporters has had enough and can no longer defend you.

bluebell Wed 02-Oct-13 20:07:13

Bags and Lady blue this week and it's only Wednesday.Well done - come on Gagagran - how come you aren't criticising people today for being nasty to JO - you couldn't get at me quick enough yesterday!!

annsixty Wed 02-Oct-13 20:05:28

Yes it was ,no question about it.

MiceElf Wed 02-Oct-13 20:03:56

How can you know? If those comments had been written by someone else and directed at you, the comments would still be perceived as hurtful. Indeed the OP herself described how she felt. Only someone with hide of a rhinoceros would fail to be hurt.

j08 Wed 02-Oct-13 20:01:55

Can't be bothered. Going back to real life.

j08 Wed 02-Oct-13 20:00:35

I doubt very much if my comment was genuinely hurtful.

MiceElf Wed 02-Oct-13 19:59:51

No idea what these are. Perhaps you could copy and paste.

j08 Wed 02-Oct-13 19:57:42

No. I'm not talking about the thread. Justt the emails gransnet is fond of sending out.

annsixty Wed 02-Oct-13 19:53:10

And those comments were very hurtful.

MiceElf Wed 02-Oct-13 19:50:14

Are you seriously suggesting that the reason why both of your posts above (and many others) were deleted, is because this site is a business?

To repeat, it was because they broke the guidelines, guidelines which are there for all to read.

There's nothing wrong with running a business, and there's nothing wrong with making a profit, and there's nothing wrong with providing employment.

But there is something wrong with posting personal hurtful comments.

j08 Wed 02-Oct-13 19:41:10

I've been thinking, (!) and I realise that the reason Gransnet and I would always be at odds is the false sincerity behind it.

Gransnet is, of course, a business like any other and as such it needs, and wants, to make money. It needs a high number of signed up posters simply so that it can give that number to potential advertisers. The fact that only a relatively small number of posters actually post anything is neither here nor there. The number of official members is the important thing. And if any gransnetter, no matter how much they might have, or might not have, contributed to the forums, steps out of line and thereby threatens the business side of things, that person has to be stamped on. Heavily.

I don't like that. I appreciate it is the way of the world but still.... I don't like it.

I think it is a shame that Age UK has joined its name to this idea.

merlotgran Wed 02-Oct-13 19:17:29

I wasn't commenting on rights or wrongs, Greatnan and I know you have suffered a lot of pain over the breakdown of your relationship with your daughter. I wasn't making a sweeping generalisation because there just might be another side to the OP's situation.

And I consider it wise to keep an open mind if you don't know the full facts.

Greatnan Wed 02-Oct-13 18:58:25

Merlotgran - some of us have not had any disagreement with our children - they have simply cut us out of their lives for some perceived offence. It takes two to disagree and I have never done or said anything to hurt my daughter. She suffers from paranoid delusions brought on by ten years abuse of codeine and painkillers since she was badly damaged by an incompetent surgeon. I have spent years of my retirement fighting the MDU to get her fair damages, sold my house to help her and had to pay rent for five years, left my lovely life in France to care for her and her children, tried to keep her business going when she was in hospital........where in this do you think I have been at fault?
It is probably not wise to make sweeping generalisations when you don't know the full facts.

MiceElf Wed 02-Oct-13 18:25:14

J08. Your comment was removed. I have noticed that many of your comments have been removed. They have been removed for breaking the guidelines.

It is wise to learn from past errors and refrain from making comments which cause distress to people. And shouting doesn't make anything correct.

Mishap Wed 02-Oct-13 18:24:22

I have removed myself from facebook today - it is such a pain getting so many emails from them when I hardly ever use facebook - I needed to have it ages ago for work. There are far better ways of communicating with people.

merlotgran Wed 02-Oct-13 18:19:21

Greatnan, If there is a disagreement between two people, how can there not be two sides to the story and how on earth can my comment be unfair?

Since when has keeping an open mind been wrong?

j08 Wed 02-Oct-13 18:17:30

It's not worth this.

j08 Wed 02-Oct-13 18:17:02

Yes, of course they have. The ones mean minded posters reported.

j08 Wed 02-Oct-13 18:16:32

I THOROUGHLY OBJECT TO YOUR USE OF THE WORD "SPITEFUL". I HAVE NEVER BEEN A SPITEFUL PERSON AND NEVER WILL BE. PERHAPS SOME PROJECTION GOING ON THERE?

Elegran Wed 02-Oct-13 18:16:24

But maybe the moderators have read a few more of your posts. Jingle?

MiceElf Wed 02-Oct-13 18:12:49

I imagine that there are a number of members who 'do not appreciate' being the target of spiteful and unkind comments.

Greatnan Wed 02-Oct-13 18:10:38

I resent being told that Facebook is only for teenagers - it enables me to keep in daily touch with my far-flung family and friends.
Several of us have had major or minor estrangements or misunderstandings with family members (even you, jingle, I think) and it is quite wrong to suggest that all those affected have somehow failed in their parenting skills.
There seems to be a habit amongst some members to blame anybody who is bullied or mistreated in any way and insist it must be partly their own fault. This is the way bullying was treated when I was a child and the way some judges treat victims of abuse.