Gransnet forums

AIBU

Men!

(39 Posts)
Grummy Mon 28-Oct-13 18:17:34

I have just been told by a male acquaintance the same age as I am (55), when I said hopefully by some miracle I may still find someone special or they may find me, that nobody will want me because I have osteoporosis and cannot romp around! He said I'm very nice otherwise! Am I being unreasonable to feel as mad as a snake or do you think it's the end of the road for me?

ffinnochio Mon 28-Oct-13 18:19:49

Grummy Pay the silly old bugger no mind!

absent Mon 28-Oct-13 18:21:04

Perhaps he thought you were hitting on him.

Grummy Mon 28-Oct-13 18:24:34

He knows I wasn't hitting on him, he is an old acquaintance and is happily partnered

Ana Mon 28-Oct-13 18:26:22

In that case he's just plain inconsiderate and/or rude!

Grummy Mon 28-Oct-13 18:38:17

Okay, thanks for your comments!

JessM Mon 28-Oct-13 18:40:38

tosser.

ninathenana Mon 28-Oct-13 18:42:06

One of my married friends has spinal problems her husband has arthritic hips and knees. They are in their 50's. They manage very well, so she tells me grin
I sincerely hope you find the guy who cares enough to over come any problems. He is out there.

Grummy Mon 28-Oct-13 19:01:38

Well romping to me isn't the be all and end all, there are so many other factors which count, that's why his comment hit me a bit hard

ninathenana Mon 28-Oct-13 19:16:26

Of course being loved,cherished and cared for are important. I didn't mean to offend.

petallus Mon 28-Oct-13 19:17:26

What a shallow man. Take no notice. They're not all like him.

Nonu Mon 28-Oct-13 19:23:01

Sorry he cannot be very nice , otherwise he would not have made such an insensitive remark. If it was I would totally blank him from now on in !!

Mishap Mon 28-Oct-13 19:27:06

What must there be in his brain!? A very stupid remark indeed.

JessM Mon 28-Oct-13 19:28:36

Hope he has not upset you. Not worth bothering with that's for sure. May have thought he was being funny I suppose - a lot of men have very inept ideas of humour - gauche teenagers 'til the day they die.

Tegan Mon 28-Oct-13 19:46:01

Was just going to say what Jess has said. In his defence maybe he didn't really know what to say which is why he just came out with something that he thought was funny.

Marelli Mon 28-Oct-13 19:49:07

I'm sure you'll be capable of some quick and very sharp reply if he was ever stupid enough to say something like that again. My late brother-in-law used to think he was very handsome and that women fell at his feet in admiration. He also used to think he could say what he liked to them. One evening, at a family gathering, he said loudly to me, "I thought women were supposed to have t.ts!!" I replied, "I thought men were supposed to have balls, but you're obviously the exception!" Everyone laughed, and he kept his distance from me from then on! thlgrin

annodomini Mon 28-Oct-13 19:50:06

Ignore the lout!

glassortwo Mon 28-Oct-13 20:13:32

Insensitive tosser!
grummy ignore him, and anyway as far as romping is concerned where there's a will theres a way. wink

annodomini Mon 28-Oct-13 21:11:49

Marelli. grin

specki4eyes Mon 28-Oct-13 21:34:02

Conversely, I think he was, in a silly blokey way, trying to be kind and nice. Perhaps he was a bit embarrassed by the subject matter?

After 30 years of enduring my soon-to-be ex's thoughtless comments, your pal's response would just make me smile!

Tegan Mon 28-Oct-13 22:17:15

Hello specki; was thinking about you today [and you appear as if by magic]. It's the sort of comment my ex would make as well sad. Marelli; that's the sort of reply that I only think of hours after the event; good for you!

Galen Mon 28-Oct-13 22:42:37

Sounds like the sort of remark the old GIT next door, who is the original grumpy old man would make!

LizG Mon 28-Oct-13 22:49:20

As soon as I saw this thread and before reading it through I decided that you were not being unreasonable (AIBU men!) smile. Having now read it I have no reason to change my mind. What a stupid, stupid man and no, not the end of the road but losing that acquaintance could be a good beginning.

Grummy Mon 28-Oct-13 23:04:48

Thanks all of you, you're great, feel a bit better now!

Hunt Mon 28-Oct-13 23:16:21

I have osteoporosis and we carried on romping till we were both eighty so no worries there then, Grummy.