Gransnet forums

AIBU

Values

(57 Posts)
suzieq Wed 04-Dec-13 07:47:27

My background is one of being careful with money and valuing skills, health, education, the environment -fairly lefty all round. My son is married to someone who sees how things look as very important.
We've bought some duplo for our two-year-old granddaughter because she has few toys that are encouraging her fine motor skills and she enjoys playing with what she already has. We have been asked also to buy some wellies for her and the ones requested are Hunter, which will also need the coordinating socks. Not much change from £40 if we are lucky. I have never been interested in brands for their own sake and think this is completely ridiculous - the child doesn't care what she wears. I don't think she has ever been fitted for properly supportive shoes and wears what her mum and other grandmother think are pretty -often they buy them without fitting.
As an unfortunate contrast, our daughter, of necessity, lives very frugally.
I know I must work it out for myself, but has anyone else been caught in this quandary? I must resolve it without upsetting a person who has joined our family but whose values and what she cares about are so different to mine.

Galen Fri 06-Dec-13 15:44:11

I agree about the narrow ankles. I have swollen ankles from arthritis and couldn't get hunter or any other make of wellies or boots. In the end I found a pair of Ecco that fitted but the price tchshock

Bellasnana Fri 06-Dec-13 16:21:41

Am I the only one who had never heard of 'Hunter' wellies until reading this thread?

Enviousamerican Fri 06-Dec-13 16:54:26

No your not. smile

Deedaa Fri 06-Dec-13 20:28:34

I am reminded of Ab Fab when Saffy bought Edina earings for her birthday " I like them if they're Lacroix darling" grin

ellecowan1975 Fri 06-Dec-13 22:13:38

oh dear, i don't envy anyone caught in this dilemma... personally i would not want to buy shoes or boots for a child without said child being able to try them on, i think its best to speak honestly to the parents if not in time for this xmas then definitely put in some groundwork before the next one comes around.
Best of Luck ;) x

rockgran Sun 08-Dec-13 05:20:10

After a few mistakes - such as duplicating what they already had - I always used to pick something from their amazon wish list. That way it was a surprise but definitely wanted and you can spend an appropriate amount. As they are now abroad I have sent money and my DiL told me what we had "bought" and wrapped it from us. Luckily my DiL is quite sensible about what they receive but I don,t think you can do much about it anyway or your gift won't be used - and I hate waste!