Gransnet forums

AIBU

What am I doing wrong?

(31 Posts)
kittylester Sat 07-Dec-13 07:17:34

You are not being unreasonable soutra they are a rude ungrateful bunch! Unless you get a lovely plant and card on Monday. tchhmm. I expect you will be really busy next Christmas.

FlicketyB Sat 07-Dec-13 07:10:20

Soutra with you all the way, it was bad manners, but some people are like that. I was brought up like you, to always say thank you and I will always thank people who do things for me, including arranging events.

Notso Sat 07-Dec-13 06:16:22

Didn't they thank you after the meal?

LizG Sat 07-Dec-13 00:22:39

No doubt you will be asked to do it again next year 'because it was so amazing last year' and that will be the first you know of how much they enjoyed your efforts. Have to say W.I. is very good at saying 'thank you' and we have a particularly good president this year who sends lots of cards.

Agus Sat 07-Dec-13 00:12:56

They sound like an ungrateful bunch to me Soutra. Not to acknowledge the work involved organising the event plus the personal touch of the shortbread is the height of bad manners, as my DM would tell me as she drummed into me how important good manners were.

Soutra Fri 06-Dec-13 23:57:36

I undertook to organise our Book Group Christmas lunch today - emailed pub, got menus, collated choices, liaised with pub re times et and took round a cheque for the deposit. I also baked cardamom shortbread biscuits, put 6 each in little cellophane bags from Lakeland, tied a bit of ribbon round the top, attched a Christmas tag to say" Happy Christmas, love from Soutra "and put one at each place.
While I did not expect a speech, bouquet or even undying gratitude I am feeling let down that only 1 person has sent me an email to say it was lovedly (it was - gorgeous meal) thanks for arranging and thanks for the biccies. Is it unreasonable to think that one expresses thanks for even a small gesture? It was drummed into me as a child and I wonder if I am wrong to expect it from others? it is like when you have friends round for a meal, or to stay - a quick text/email/phone call just to say "Thank you" the next day is the least I would expect to do. AIBU?