Gransnet forums

AIBU

Christmas toys back at my house...

(42 Posts)
Aka Fri 27-Dec-13 17:04:37

Am I being over sensitive or should I be hurt that, for the second year running, most of the toys I bought for my GDs are returned, by my DiL, to my house for them to play with here? hmm
It's not as if I don't already have a huge selection of toys and games available at my house. She is very house proud and I get the feeling she doesn't want her house cluttered up with anything more than the essentials. With this in mind this year I only bought them one main toy, a game, a book and the rest were clothes.
My DD doesn't do this and I childmind her boys too.

Dragonfly1 Sun 29-Dec-13 14:53:39

My five year old gs leaves toys here - some bought by me, others not - so that Nanny can play with them when he's not here in case she misses him. He can clutter up my house as much as he likes!

annodomini Sun 29-Dec-13 10:11:25

There is light at the end of that tunnel. As they get older the big toys are replaced by computer games, consoles and tablets which, although a source of irritation, at least don't take up as much room as big toys. What they do take up is time. hmm

Agus Sun 29-Dec-13 09:53:57

NannaAnna I wouldn't expect an almost 3yr old to assemble a flat packgrin My youngest DD had a farm set and used to spend her pocket money buying various animals etc. I put it in the attic when she outgrew it and now my GDs play with it. Hope your GD enjoys her farm.

My 4yr old GD was getting frustrated attempting to construct a craft item and lost interest in it. She was trying to follow the diagrams but couldn't read the instructions. I offered to help but she decided to start something else she could do herself.

Lilygran Sun 29-Dec-13 08:45:31

Same thing as absent. But my DS and DDiL are quite open about leaving the noisy toys here! They leave other toys as well and I think it's rather nice. We live too far away to see them often and it's an indication they'll be back before they grow out of them. We have pyjamas and toothbrushes, too. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year - just surfaced from the fray.

NfkDumpling Sun 29-Dec-13 07:40:41

Two of my DGDs aged 2 and 5 have sooo much stuff - and mostly pink. There's a net over each of their beds to hold some of the soft toys, large toy boxes, book shelves, and the conservatory is now their toy room with box seats - full. The trouble is SiL's parents split up so now there's extra (competive) grans on the scene. Hence we give small presents and dosh towards swimming lessons etc.

Flowerofthewest Sun 29-Dec-13 00:09:42

Hmmm - I wish that my DDGS would BRING BACK some of the toys he has stuffed in his mummy's nappy bag.grin

My DD has such a small house with a tiny living room. Most of DGS toys are in that room. I may suggest that she brings a few more here so that he has more of his favourite toys to play with and to give them more room to move.

I have a feeling that the very loud robot which he had from us for Christmas may be put in the garden soon wink

Tegan Sat 28-Dec-13 23:53:44

Youngest grandson was here this afternoon, and was most put out by the fact that a lot of his toys are here. I explained that I'm looking after them as mummy is having lots of work done on the house [and that I did buy them in the first place] but he seemed adamant that he wanted them back when the work is finished [his mum is adamant that they'll stay here].

NannaAnna Sat 28-Dec-13 19:47:33

Agus I bought my GD who is coming up for 3 a wooden farm this Christmas. It was flat-packed, as are most things these days. I reckon she'd be too old to play with it by the time she was old enough to assemble it herself wink

granjura Sat 28-Dec-13 19:30:09

Spot on Lona- it is absolutely ridiculous how much 'stuff' kids have- and yet still receive more and more...

At least DD1 ensures extra 'stuff' is not thrown away, but given to charity. But even so - it actually makes me not keen to buy more, even though I love our grand-children so much.

rockgran Sat 28-Dec-13 16:11:17

Well I do agree with that. No amount of stuff makes up for a bit of loving attention. We spent nearly a whole day, once, playing a homemade picture bingo with a three year old.

Lona Sat 28-Dec-13 14:08:35

rockgran I don't think lack of storage is the problem, I think they just have far too much stuff!

rockgran Sat 28-Dec-13 13:54:16

Oh , just realised why I started posting this. I dutifully buy from their "wish list" and try not to worry what happens to the items as I feel my job is then done. However, I think the toys often get "cleared out" sooner than I would wish. I guess not everyone has room to store things.

rockgran Sat 28-Dec-13 13:49:52

My grandsons would always bring their latest toys for us to admire but I have a stash of toys - cast offs from my son, other grandparents, junk shop finds, crafting bargains, etc. and keep them in the loft. When the grandchildren arrive (or any other children) there is always plenty of old Lego, Thunderbirds, Starwars, etc. plus paint, crayons, sticky things etc. I think they enjoy the novelty of something they don't have at home. I've never had any complaints anyway. Now they are overseas for a while but I have kept most of the stuff as I think they will ask for it eventually. We recently had some other children here and they loved the "treasure" from the loft.

jinglbellrocks Sat 28-Dec-13 13:27:17

They won't stand for it much longer anyway Aka. Can imagine the fireworks if it was suggested to our two. tchgrin

Stansgran Sat 28-Dec-13 11:46:06

@Agus but how would we keep the OPs, the DHs ,the GPs amused on Christmas Day if they had nothing to construct,glue ,fly or tread on .

bikergran Sat 28-Dec-13 10:57:33

the toys etc that we have bought for GS are still here and they will prob stay here (lego, new colouring pens books,jigsaws etc) but then he is here every morning bar one before school for a couple of hours so we have always had toys left here (In fact I would be annoyed if the lego went home lol what else would I play with) smile

Agus Sat 28-Dec-13 09:55:00

The only objection I have re presents are the ones given to children who can't read yet and only an adult can assemble. Where's the fun or sense of achievement in that for children?

Lona Sat 28-Dec-13 09:18:43

She does sound a bit 'anal' Aka, it's a shame, she isn't really enjoying her children. I was a bit the same!

janeainsworth Sat 28-Dec-13 09:17:26

Aka my DGCs are 2,3 and nearly 4 and I gave them a couple of books each, the American ones had a packet of stars that glow in the dark to put on their bedroom ceilings, and the British one had a small toy with buttons which plays various tunes. I sent the parents money for the children to be used as the parents see fit.
The musical toy which cost £5 was DGD's favourite present.
I don't think that age-group is at all too young to learn that sometimes the cheapest things are the most valuable. Some parents could do with learning that too.
Perhaps your DiL simply feels that the children have 'too much'.

Aka Sat 28-Dec-13 09:12:15

Reading your replies I'm realising its not my problem but poor DiL who has an issue with trying to keep her house extra neat and tidy. I tend to let play get quite messy and then shove everything back in boxes in the conservatory when the GC get picked up. She likes things put away before others are got out, which is commendable.
I feel less hurt now so thank you all tchsmile

absent Sat 28-Dec-13 08:33:02

If it's messy – paints, modelling clay, tie-dyeing – it comes here. If it has a battery and makes a noise, it comes here. I can't think why. tchwink

jinglbellrocks Sat 28-Dec-13 08:25:22

Which is what judthepud said really. tchhmm

jinglbellrocks Sat 28-Dec-13 08:22:57

Can't the toys live at their own house in their own rooms, and then they choose what to bring to yours? They ought to have the full ownership.

Am I overthinking this?

Judthepud2 Sat 28-Dec-13 01:05:45

I thought it just happened to me! My house has more toys in it than DD's! But DGSs bring and take their toys back and forward. I also 'inherit' toys they have grown out of for when younger DGCs come to stay.

Aka Sat 28-Dec-13 00:40:30

Thank you all for your advice. To answer some of the questions.
* Yes, the GD are here 3 days a week, all day.
* They have loads of toys here to play with and these get updated often.
* Yes, I feel my toys are being rejected.
* No, the GDs get absolutely no choice in what they take home and what is left. The GSs get a choice (cousins) it's a completely different regime and I look after the GSs too, often at the same time,

If they were older I'd give them money instead, but they are 2 & 4. I know my son is embarrassed by this. I think a conversation is long overdue.