Gransnet forums

AIBU

Dicipline, Did I get it wrong?

(31 Posts)
Ananke Tue 31-Dec-13 02:50:01

We don't get to see our wee, almost 2yr old Grandaughter as often as we would like as she lives in a different country. She is our only Grandchild and we love her to bits.

It's usualy only my Stepdaughter who is here with her and we get to babysit all the time and love it. The other day, she was trying to climb up on an old wobbly side table that I have and I said "no Sarah, don't climb on that, you'll fall" Thinking that her Dad, who was sitting right there would step in, he did but didn't see it through when she kept on going.

I said "no Sarah, don't climb on the table" and everytime she got her knee up, I pushed it back down. After two or three attempts, she gave up and got interested in something else. The night went by and we all had a great time, I didn't think anything else of it.

Tonight however, they stopped by for a few hours and told a story about how a few weeks ago, his sister was babysitting and Sarah was trying to climb up on a table and was told off, he was saying that "she was only putting her knee up, that's what she does, she wasn't going to climb up", he seemed pretty upset about it.

My Stepdaugher said that they are now not going to let this sister babysit again because of what happened. I don't know if I'm being paranoid or not but I get the feeling that I just had a warning, what do you think?

rosesarered Wed 01-Jan-14 18:44:23

Reading your posts makes me outraged on all your behalfs!Your children are lucky to have caring parents/grandparents, and as you say 'your house your rules'.I would never stand for my own children climbing the furniture and certainly don't allow the grandchildren to do it;quite apart from any danger, what about good furniture bought with our hard earned money, humf!!!
numberplease who is your SIL, Rab C Nesbit by any chance? Poor you.
Isn't it time that everyone stopped walking on eggshells around their own children and just said it like it is?Because if we don't, this is encouraging them to carry on being as rude as they like to US . To be honest, I would prefer to see less of the grandchildren if my own children acted like this, what a cheek.

numberplease Wed 01-Jan-14 23:44:53

Rosesarered, that SIL is fortunately no longer my SIL, my daughter is now married to a much nicer man. Said event actually took place around 20 years ago, and granddaughter is still hale and hearty.

rosesarered Thu 02-Jan-14 16:10:50

Glad to hear that Numberplease as I was worried on your behalf!smile

janerowena Thu 02-Jan-14 16:15:40

I didn't know what to do at first, but in the end I gave my daughter and SiL my few rules and let them enforce them, rather than me telling the GCs off. Then I can be Nice Grandma. grin Things to do with china cupboards, the woodburner, drawing on things, climbing on things. It has worked very well but perhaps I am just lucky.

rojon Mon 06-Jan-14 20:12:17

My D-I-L has said to my GS "Grannies house Grannies rules". If I tell him not to do something they reinforce it even if it is several weeks later when he does it again.