Gransnet forums

AIBU

Taste nostalgia. Good or bad thing?

(104 Posts)
papaoscar Sat 04-Jan-14 03:26:58

I've always had a sweet tooth, hence my lack of teeth, but the other day I stumbled upon a bar of Fry's Chocolate Cream which I hadn't seen in the shops for a long time. Oh, the simple pleasure, it actually tasted just like it used to. What a relief as I was beginning to think that my sense of taste had changed forever. Does anybody else feel the same way?

annsixty Sat 04-Jan-14 12:24:48

Memories are coming back now.Does anyone else remember the Horlicks and Ovaltine tablets which came in tins during the war? We used them as a poor substitute for sweets. The Horlicks were awful but the Ovaltine quite nice.

sherish Sat 04-Jan-14 12:25:39

Fry's chocolate cream bars were what we used to take to Yorkshire for our Granny. She loved them and to her it was a treat. I saw them yesterday in Sainsbury's. Do you remember 5 boys chocolate?

Mishap Sat 04-Jan-14 12:25:43

I used to love those plain chocolate bars with pink coconut filling - I can't remember what they were called though.

Nonu Sat 04-Jan-14 12:40:02

You can still get batter scrapings [scraps as they call them] at our local chip shop !

poppydee Sat 04-Jan-14 12:53:37

What about a sherbet dip with a liquorice stick, or in the car on long journeys, Murraymints?

papaoscar Sat 04-Jan-14 13:00:36

You lucky thing! We don't get any. They just chuck 'em away.

AlieOxon Sat 04-Jan-14 13:04:59

Wartime fried bread - just dipped in fat (preferably bacon fat) on ONE side, and that side just grilled brown....I still make it sometimes and it's delicious.

AlieOxon Sat 04-Jan-14 13:05:38

My daughter had Murraymints recently, must ask her where she got them.

Ana Sat 04-Jan-14 13:11:05

Murray Mints are still widely available - most supermarkets sell them.

papaoscar Sat 04-Jan-14 13:14:56

Pan Yan pickle? Mmm! Where's it gone?

jinglbellrocks Sat 04-Jan-14 13:16:36

I wish you could still buy potlucks tablets. Pretty sure grandson would like them. He is partial to a teaspoon or two of dry potlucks powder.

jinglbellrocks Sat 04-Jan-14 13:17:43

HORLICKS!!! Not potlucks! hmm #soddingfire

jinglbellrocks Sat 04-Jan-14 13:18:57

Where did it get 'potlucks' from? And why?! confused

papaoscar Sat 04-Jan-14 13:26:28

Potlucks? I thought for a moment I'd missed a sensory secret!

Gagagran Sat 04-Jan-14 13:54:28

We used to buy 2oz of butterscotch tablets and 2 oz of poor bens, which were - like a mix of aniseed and liquorice, and pop one of each in the mouth to chew together. They were a firm gum and tasted really nice together! Anyone else remember them?

I also vaguely remember a chocolate bar called "Tiffin" which was a bit like KitKat but I think had raisins in as well.

TwiceAsNice Sat 04-Jan-14 14:34:55

I used to love fry,s chocolate cream too and my dad used to buy me five boys chocolate on a Friday as a treat when I was a child. Mishap the coconut chocolate you are talking about is a raspberry ruffle bar you could buy them by the quarter as individual sweets too. I loved those as well.

AlieOxon Sat 04-Jan-14 14:37:36

My daughter says there's a shop in Oxford High Street that sells all kinds of retro sweets. I can't identify it online but we're going to go there sometime!

rosesarered Sat 04-Jan-14 15:06:31

AlieOxon don't know about the shop in Oxford but there is one in Abingdon and one in Bourton-on-the Water.
What memories the names of these choc bars bring back, the Fry's choc cream bars were my Mother's favourites. I think they were white inside, but I do remember a pale green marzipan choc bar.Tiffin was one of my faves as a child, with raisins and bits of biscuit in it.There were wonderful toffee bars called McCowans [rectangular bars] either plain toffee or best of all covered in chocolate. YUM.Also toffe, there were penny arrows, anyone remember them?I find that age brings a reduction in the sweetness of tooth, and nowadays I prefer good Belgian or swiss chocolate only, and not very often, but still remember the happiness and anticipation [ a bit like the 5 boys!] of waiting to be served in the local sweet shop.

Ana Sat 04-Jan-14 15:22:58

I remember penny arrow bars, I loved them as a child but my teeth wouldn't be able to cope now! sad

Ana Sat 04-Jan-14 15:23:49

Same with fruit salads.

MiceElf Sat 04-Jan-14 16:16:29

Rockgran, thank you for that list. I'd forgotten what the five words were, but I do remember my father announcing 'annihilation' when they had all een eaten.

I remember dandelion and burdock 'pop' too and gob stoppers which (and I think I've mentioned this before) Sister Mary Fidelis said were vulgar and we must call them 'Big Balls' instead.

annodomini Sat 04-Jan-14 16:17:29

I've seen a retro sweet shop in Reading too, though I can't remember exactly where it is.

Nine Sat 04-Jan-14 16:29:39

Penny arrows, bazooka joe.bubble gum, aniseed balls ,pineapple chunks, flying saucers, fizz bombs, candy shrimps. My local sweet shop used to sell 10pence mixed bags which consisted of 10 penny sweets - a little bag of heaven! smile

Agus Sat 04-Jan-14 16:38:28

Something I bought in one of our retro sweetie shops was Creamola Foam, I loved the raspberry flavour one

Nonu Sat 04-Jan-14 16:48:02

I wonder if these "Retro" sweet shops are the same as I was talking of earlier ?
Which seems to be , they are franchised !
Who knows ?
smile