Gransnet forums

AIBU

... to expect a "single" duvet cover to fit a standard single duvet?

(30 Posts)
MamaCaz Sun 05-Jan-14 16:22:00

I bought a Chad Valley Dinosaur duvet set from Argos today to go on DG's bed. I had a choice of "toddler" or "single". As I want to put it on a standard single duvet, I bought "single".

As soon as I got home, I unwrapped it and threw it in the washing maching, only to notice, when I came put it on the stand to dry, that it is way too small for a standard duvet - I haven't actually measured it, but think it is at least 15 inches too short!

I've since searched both catalogue and packaging, but no measurements are actually given.

I'm fuming! Not only do I have the inconvenience of returning it, but might have problems anyway as it has now been through the washer!!!"

Mishap Sun 05-Jan-14 16:38:36

Why would you wash it before ever using it|?!

Ana Sun 05-Jan-14 16:45:15

That's what I thought, too, Mishap, but some people do.

Surely a young child's bed is usually smaller than a standard single, though, so you'd expect the duvet and its cover to be correspondingly smaller? I agree that Argos should display the measurements.

petra Sun 05-Jan-14 16:45:57

I wash all bedding before I use it. Doesn't everyone ?

gma Sun 05-Jan-14 16:52:25

Well I certainly do not wash bedding before I use it......life's too short for that!! Do you wash new clothes before you wear them Petra, or undies, or tights.............confused

Lona Sun 05-Jan-14 16:59:16

Manufacturers put a 'finish' on bedding and towels, which is a bit like starch, so washing removes that and makes them softer, and in the case of towels, more absorbant. (As far as I know)

Pittcity Sun 05-Jan-14 16:59:26

I wash bedding before use as it is all stiff and starchy when new.

I don't know where you stand on returning it after washing though....makes mental note to check size before throwing in machine!

MamaCaz Sun 05-Jan-14 17:01:47

I think of all the chemicals that are used in the dying process, then the dirty sweatshops where such things are often produced ...

Such items frequently come with warnings to wash before use anyway, although there is instruction on this particular bed set.

merlotgran Sun 05-Jan-14 17:02:11

I wash towels before using them or they don't absorb moisture but bedding goes straight on the bed. As gma says, life's too short!

MamaCaz Sun 05-Jan-14 17:03:36

I meant to say, "there is no such instruction on this particular bed set" blush

jinglbellrocks Sun 05-Jan-14 17:18:00

A single duvet cover should fit a standard single duvet. Whether it is a child's design or not. Take it back. It is not fit for purpose.

Whether anyone washes bedding before using, is irrelevant.

jinglbellrocks Sun 05-Jan-14 17:20:56

Just tell them that you washed it before putting it on the bed. For hygiene purposes.

MamaCaz Sun 05-Jan-14 17:31:12

Jinglebellrocks: DH will be going near an Argos tomorrow (not the one we bought from, though), so I am really hoping he will take it back.

To be honest, I am wondering now if the item had been wrongly packaged, and I've actually been given a Toddler size.

Assuming they will play ball, any replacement will have to come out of its packaging in the shop so we can check the size before leaving the store.

glammanana Sun 05-Jan-14 17:49:58

MamaCaz When we had 1st DGS we bought him a cot/bed and when old enough to come out of cot it turned into small bed as you would expect and the bedding did still fit OK,as a spare at my sisters house she had a "toddler bed" which was slightly bigger than cot/bed but smaller than a standard bed,it sounds as though you have been sold a cover for a toddler bed ? so I would take it straight back and tell them they have sold you something not fit for purpose and explain that you always wash new bedding to get rid of the scratchy starch that is on new bedding.Just for your information I have just measured a toddler quilt cover and it is 35" x 50" as opposed to 35" x 75" for a standard single.hope that helps.

jinglbellrocks Sun 05-Jan-14 17:57:38

Just had a quick look. They come in toddler and single size. Check the packaging that it says "single". And that you paid the price for the single. The toddler one is cheaper.

LizG Sun 05-Jan-14 17:59:22

Make sure they play ball MamaC as Jingl says, if it does not fit a single duvet then it 'is not fit for the purpose' particularly as no sizes were given.

granjura Sun 05-Jan-14 21:02:04

I always wash newly bought sheets, duvets, towels before using them. They smell of chemicals and this is probably because they are treated with said chemicals in some way. I always wash them in a hot wash with very little washing powder.

Ana Sun 05-Jan-14 21:08:36

I don't care!

I quite like the crispness of new sheets and duvet covers etc. Agree about towels, although I don't always wash them before use. Am I a lazy slut? grin

Stansgran Sun 05-Jan-14 21:09:10

I think the sizes should be on the labels. I have plenty of spare sheets and duvet covers in cream for guest beds and as guest beds can be zipped togethr as superking size ,double or single and small single I am often unfolding the wrong size. I always think I will remember but never do.
I would go back to Argos and have a tantrum . You've wasted electricity and water as well.

Ana Sun 05-Jan-14 21:12:10

Well, the last claim is debatable - they could say that MamaCaz should have checked the size before she slung the whole lot in the wash...

Mishap Sun 05-Jan-14 22:11:17

I'm a lazy slut too!

Oldgreymare Sun 05-Jan-14 22:27:26

I had a similar problem with a John Lewis King-size duvet. Only JL covers fit, others are too big! (Clever ploy that methinks) I have since noticed that JL at Cribbs now indicate the size of their duvets in more than one place (I can't have been the only person to grumble)

MamaCaz Mon 06-Jan-14 10:24:28

It definitely says "single" on the packaging, but now that I've had time to think about it, I am in no doubt whatsoever that the duvet inside was the Toddler size, though I never even thought of looking for a label on the cover itself to confirm that.

Apart from the lovely smell, there is no obvious sign that it has been washed, so hopefully that won't even be noticed.

DH has agreed to deal with it this morning, so I'll let you know the outcome later smile

MamaCaz Mon 06-Jan-14 13:03:54

DH has just got back, and this time with the right size! As I suspected, we had been sold a Toddler size cover in a Single size package.

Not even an apology for our wasted time/inconvenience, according to DH, but at least I now have what I should have had in the first place. (And the washing wasn't mentioned.)

LizG Mon 06-Jan-14 13:24:04

That's good news MamaCaz pity about the lack of apology but duly noted by GN members ARGOS!