Gransnet forums

AIBU

Am I too 'needy', demanding and difficult?

(93 Posts)
Rowantree Sat 11-Jan-14 13:40:15

Well, maybe I am at times. Those who've read others of my posts will know I suffer from depression and anxiety, with all that encompasses.
What you don't necessarily know is that my father, who was a refugee from Nazi Germany and came to the UK in 1939 via Kindertransport, wrote his life story down for his family, over a period of years. It included translations of letters from my grandparents who were stuck in Germany. It all makes very painful reading and I still can't read it without crying (his parents were murdered at Auschwitz).
My DH and I have done a lot of family history over the years to piece a family tree together, on both sides of the family. Then suddenly our DD2 announced that she and her partner had worked on my father's story and got it published (the self-publishing firm called LULU) but only available to our family to buy. We were surprised and had mixed feelings - pleased they had done it but wished they'd consulted us first as there was a lot we could have added to the book. Still, we said nothing at all about that and I was very positive about the idea. We agreed it was best for my father to see it first before the rest of the family bought a copy.
DD2 told me she had ordered me a copy but please would I say nothing to my father till he'd seen it. My copy duly arrived and I skimmed through it quickly and texted her to let her know I'd had it. I said it looked good and thanked them for their hard work, though there were a few minor quibbles (I KNOW, I KNOW, WHY did I say that???) - the title was printed too high up so it was partly cut off, for instance. I didn't say anything else negative, but that was enough for her to blow up at me. I tried to apologise, said they were really minor points, that I hadn't meant to hurt either of them, that I knew I'd messed up - but to no avail, she said I'd hurt both of them. I was devastated. I said it was the last thing I'd want to do, but she wasn't budging. At that point I foolishly asked her to look back at my first text and said it really wasn't so terrible, and were we back to walking on eggshells again..? That unleashed a furious response from her - 'That's good coming from you - we have to tiptoe around you, spend huge amounts of time worrying what I can and can't say and not arranging things with people just in case it upset you, putting you first....' and so it went on. I felt terrible: so hurt that she felt like that and that I'd hurt her and her partner. I tried to be conciliatory and agreed I wasn't the easiest of people but that I was aware of it and trying to address it....nothing helped.

It's her birthday next weekend - her 30th. I had hoped we'd be able to take them out for lunch as we usually do around her birthday, but she declined the offer (made prior to this episode). I don't know how such a minor thing escalated, by texts, into something as painful as it has. She hasn't mentioned the book since; there was a silence from her for several days afterwards, and DH suggested leaving her to calm down, but I was so upset and I still keep crying - sometimes because I'm angry with myself and sometimes with her, because she didn't accept my apology which was sincerely offered, and then went on to say things she knew would hurt me.

To put this into context, she was diagnosed with Borderline (unstable mood disorder) several years before I was - but the therapy she had was amazing and has helped her turn her life around. Walking on Eggshells is a feature: people who suffer with it can be touchy, irritable, oversensitive - all of which I plead guilty to!

I don't know what to do now. I long to see her and our little granddaughter again - haven't seen them since Boxing day and was really looking forward to seeing them round DD's birthday, but it looks as though that won't happen and I don't want to pressurise her because it would be selfish of me, I know that. They are also in chaos at home because they hope to move soon and on that basis, ordered lots of new furniture which is clogging up the flat. The date has now been put off again. I hope it doesn't all fall through, leaving them with furniture and flooring they can't use!

Just not coping well emotionally right now with lots of things - and I don't know if any of what I am feeling is 'reasonable' or whether it's just me over-reacting yet again :'( I have fallen short yet again of who and what I know I should be. FAIL!

rosesarered Sat 18-Jan-14 19:45:57

absent you are right on the money with your comments
Aka I laughed at your post!
Mice Elf I also laughed at your post!

Rowantree Mon 13-Jan-14 20:09:21

absent - my own mother died aged 66, and my father, 5 years younger, married again two years later. We (my brothers and I) were delighted for him and I am close to my stepmother. I am really pleased my father has someone to share his life with.
Though he and my stepmother lead separate and full lives,family is very important to him - especially as his was torn apart so ruthlessly decades ago. And, as I've grown older, I've realised I feel similarly, though I had terrible problems growing up and establishing my own identity and life because both my parents were rather controlling (for the reasons I described earlier). We make sure we see various family members regularly, but we accept that we are no longer the most important parts of our DD's lives, though we know they love us and we love seeing them.
Penstemmon - it's sad that people find it so hard to move on from former hurts. Sometimes it takes a death in order that someone realises what they could have done to improve relationships - and then, of course, it's too late.

Penstemmon Mon 13-Jan-14 18:57:32

I look back and think how in that time between leaving home and having a baby of my own I 'lost touch' with my parents because I was learning about being an independent adult. I did visit and communicate but I put my needs first. TBH my parents had my 2 brothers still at home so were not abandoned! Once I had children of my own my relationship with my mum blossomed again...sadly for only 6 years as she died at 61.

I tell my SiL who has a tenuous relationship with his mum to think carefully before he says 'never' about seeing her! She is not a very warm person to him(he was a handful as a teen) and she is not interested in his children. She is close to her daughter and her children and to SiL it looks like favouritism. He is now settled and successful but she cannot move on from the 'wrong' he did almost 30 yrs ago!

Iam64 Mon 13-Jan-14 18:53:40

Wow absent - couldn't agree more with your post.

absent Mon 13-Jan-14 18:19:20

I think it is very interesting how the dynamics of family relationships change – or in some cases, don't change with time and age. As someone else has pointed out, mum is usually at the heart of a child's world. When that child grows up, his/her partner and then children (not always in that order) take over and mum slips down the list. It's not that she is any less loved or is regarded as having become useless or unwanted, just that her motherly role is less central. Some of the next generation seem to have a problem recognising that this is a two-way street and still want to be regarded as the focal point of mum's life – hence those instances of huge resentment about middle-aged divorce and remarriage, for example. Some of our generation still refer to their children, or even more disconcertingly, to their grandchildren being the focal point of their lives. I don't mean that the love felt for children or grandchildren is anything but valuable and natural but it is as if they are unable to be or don't want to be involved in any aspect of a life that isn't to do with being mum. I don't think that is valuable and I do think it is unhealthy, especially when it manifests itself in controlling behaviour whether obvious or disguised.

Eloethan Mon 13-Jan-14 17:59:06

I can't understand what you did that was so insensitive. Surely, it was reasonable to comment - it is your dad's history and in many ways his experiences must be closer to you than your daughter. A couple of remarks regarding format and content don't seem that terrible to me, particularly as you thanked them for the hard work they had put in.

I also don't see why parents should feel unable to express an opinion. My own feeling is that adult children should be treated as such - parents should not have to pussyfoot around them.

Your daughter is under some pressure at the moment and possibly over-reacted. I'm sorry that this has been so upsetting for you and hope that things will soon settle down.

Rowantree Mon 13-Jan-14 16:17:47

Just wanted to add my total agreement to Janeainsworth's post - I would never feel I had 'rights' over my grandchildren, or actually even my children. They are their own people and when our relationship hits rocky patches, as relationships sometimes - often? - do, then I am sad, to say the least. But I am always trying to find ways of strengthening our bond which is, I hope, a loving one.
Both our DDs know that our love always was and always will be unconditional, even if we don't always like what they say or do. We've made that clear many a time over the years, and also emphasised that they must always make their own decisions (unless they specifically want advice!), irrespective of whether they think we will approve or not. And we do our best to honour that.

Easier said than done, however - I often fall short of those ideals: I am trying to see it all as a work in progress, which won't stop evolving till one or more of us shuffles off this mortal whatsit.

Iam64 Mon 13-Jan-14 13:26:42

This is a very interesting thread,with so many honest and heart felt comments from contributors. I enjoyed and agreed with Janeainsworth's own comments, and her support for Absent and Merlot's posts. The breakdown of the relationship between a mother and her adult child is something I never thought could happen to me, until it did. The sense of failure, and loss can be overwhelming at times, but life must go on and the very best must be made of it.

Elegran Mon 13-Jan-14 11:21:27

Or did you mean your post? Getting confused here, better shut up.

Elegran Mon 13-Jan-14 11:20:03

Should I copy it over to there, Anno? I don't like to repeat myself (Could look narcissistic)

First shot at this post vanished into the ether,. It could reappear now that I have typed it again.

annodomini Mon 13-Jan-14 11:03:24

I think that last post could equally have been in the 'good mum' thread. There are quite a few threads on the subject of our relationships with our adult children, often on the lines of 'where did I go wrong?' Perhaps, we should look at previously existing threads before beginning a new one.

Elegran Mon 13-Jan-14 11:03:10

Babies are born with just that description, MiceElf, totally self-centred, with no knowledge that anyone exists outside themselves or has any needs or rights of their own. Parents have total responsibility for that baby, their food, shelter, comfort, safety, happiness, everything, and continue for its childhood.

Trouble is, they are also responsible for any other children, a husband and relatives, a house and its contents, earning money to pay for all that, and indirectly for not endangering or annoying friends and neighbours or even strangers. ALL children have to face frustration and restraint when what they want comes into conflict with other people, or even with otyher people's possessions that they are bent on destroying.

Where does that frustration come from? Parents, particularly the one they are most reliant on - mother. As the child gets older, reining in their own instincts to grab and slash gets internalised, and mother does not have to be a constant conscience, but it takes time. Some people never quite internalise that control, and it always seems to them as though mother is the nagging conscience and the cause of all their problems, and they have to keep rebelling and retaliating, right into their adult lives.

Equally some mothers find it difficult to believe that a child can make a decision for his/herself and be responsible for his/her own life, however old he/she is.

annodomini Mon 13-Jan-14 10:48:34

When my ex decamped, I was in the middle of doing a basic counselling course which I believe helped me to find my way more clearly through the morass of the breakdown and to work with my sons to re-create our household without a father in it. Maybe I leant on them more than I should have - they were only teenagers - but they were enormously supportive of me while managing their relationship with their father and his new partner. They grew up a lot in that time. Although there were times when they went off the rails, they got back on, in the knowledge that they had my unconditional love, not to mention occasional financial support. I try not to lean on them now, but know that if I needed to they and their partners would be there for me. Advice? If they want mine, it's there, but the boot is more often on the other foot nowadays.

MiceElf Mon 13-Jan-14 10:10:00

I've just googled it. The narcissistic description is a person who is self centered manipulative, demanding, cocky, has an inflated sense of their own self importance and is vulnerable to slightest criticism. It's described as a 'disorder'. But I suppose it's easier for a psychologist to describe this unpleasant behaviour as a disorder instead of saying to the person "You are self centred ....".

Aka Mon 13-Jan-14 09:54:03

Well here on GN let me air the idea that you can have 'narcissistic daughters or sons' and 'toxic' ones too. It's not exclusive of the younger generation. So stick that in your disposables nappies Mumsnet hmm

baubles Mon 13-Jan-14 09:18:58

I had never heard of the expressions 'narcissistic mother' or 'toxic parent' until I read them on Mumsnet.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 13-Jan-14 09:12:43

I think Mumsnet has a lot to answer for. They can get some silly ideas off of each other on there.

Gagagran Mon 13-Jan-14 09:08:56

Another vote "aye" Jane. You have perfectly summarised my own views.

Lona Mon 13-Jan-14 09:05:55

I agree too jane, although I adore my dgc, my own children are much more important to me.
They respect me and I respect them.

MiceElf Mon 13-Jan-14 08:54:08

Wise words Janeainsworth

ffinnochio Mon 13-Jan-14 08:49:57

Janeainsworth - You've expressed my views perfectly.

janeainsworth Mon 13-Jan-14 03:03:16

I agree with absent and merlot.
I've never, ever, once thought of my relationship with my DCs in terms of power.
Responsibility certainly - responsibility to provide a loving environment in which they could grow and develop, responsibility to educate, responsibility to provide financially for them until such time as they were able to provide for themselves, and responsibility to advise and mentor if they themselves perceived a need.
But power over them? No.
I wouldn't want power over anyone, because that implies inequality.
As for grandchildren, I have no 'rights'. They are my children's children, and I love them dearly, but I have no rights and expect nothing.
If my relationship with any of my children broke down, I would be broken-hearted, but it would be the loss of my own child that I would mourn.

merlotgran Sun 12-Jan-14 20:59:25

I can honestly say there's no pecking order in my family. hmm

Tegan Sun 12-Jan-14 20:46:47

I think that, as social animals our whole life is based around where we are in the pecking order, especially within families.

JessM Sun 12-Jan-14 20:37:08

Power is not always exercised in these relationships - you're lucky *absent". But when it is, then the trouble or stress starts. I know someone who runs a "family business" and it is painful to see how his mother (who knows nothing about running a business having never been involved) pulls the family obligation strings (giving jobs to relatives, that kind of thing).
I guess the bottom line is - and people don't really like to acknowledge it, but I believe it to be true:
The way parents feel about their adult children is completely different to the way those younger adults feel about their parents.