Gransnet forums

AIBU

vanessa feltz

(84 Posts)
damson Wed 15-Jan-14 15:00:04

Just seen this on mumsnet and have to say I am slightly aghast! Can't imagine my DDs being very happy were i to tell them i felt like breastfeeding any of my grandchildren... confused
[http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/telly_addicts/1967494-Vanessa-Feltz-wants-to-breastfeed-her-grandson]

damson Wed 15-Jan-14 15:03:49

oops fat fingers www.mumsnet.com/Talk/telly_addicts/1967494-Vanessa-Feltz-wants-to-breastfeed-her-grandson

glammanana Wed 15-Jan-14 15:15:00

It has been said since the report that she meant that birth of her new DGC would bring back the bonding feeling you get when you breastfeed,so maybe taken out of context again by the media.

gillybob Wed 15-Jan-14 15:16:18

Yes I think so too glamma I certainly don't think she meant it to be taken literally. shock

merlotgran Wed 15-Jan-14 15:21:56

Still a funny thing to say though. Probably had her DSIL running for the hills.

damson Wed 15-Jan-14 15:23:17

aha i see. well you can count on the media to do that. lobely that she's so excited but i did have images of my daughters horrified faces if i ever suggested such a thing!

Aka Wed 15-Jan-14 15:34:37

Bejesus! She'd smother the poor child if she tried it!

glammanana Wed 15-Jan-14 15:49:44

Aka I wouldn't think she would have a milk shortage do you ? grin

JessM Wed 15-Jan-14 16:19:13

There are grandmothers that do this (I can think of one GN member) and have done through the millennia no doubt. But the point is that it is done out of need - if mother ill or dead, or failing to lactate, or if there was a multiple birth perhaps, then for most of history, unless a relative steps in, then the baby would die. So it is not unnatural in the grand scheme of things.
This however just smacks of celeb culture - trying to get lots of attention fluff.

ginny Wed 15-Jan-14 16:20:32

Typical media. Comment reported totally out of context.

Anne58 Wed 15-Jan-14 16:26:35

Re breastfeeding, an "amazing but true" story of a friend of mine. Her youngest was found face down in a neighbours pond at 18 months, pronounced DOA at local hospital, then small sign of life and transferred to Great Ormond St. Made it, kept in a coma for a couple of days, seemed to be in almost a state of rage when he was revived. Sister on the ward suggested that he was put to the breast. My friend had breastfed him, but had stopped when he was just over a year, milk had dried up after that. She put him to the breast he, sucked and calmed down, after around a day, her milk came back.

Problem was, he was still wanting to breastfeed when he was 4.

Ana Wed 15-Jan-14 16:27:29

Surely a grandmother couldn't just 'step in', Jess? She wouldn't suddenly start lactating because her grandchild was hungry, could she? confused

Ana Wed 15-Jan-14 16:28:13

(should have been 'would she?')

Joelsnan Wed 15-Jan-14 16:48:14

I think that if you can stimulate the breasts either by suckling or with a breast pump, you can kid the brain and initiate milk production. I am not sure if this would work with a menopausal woman though.
I think I would have to resort to Cow and Gate

Atqui Wed 15-Jan-14 16:53:45

AKA I presume you don't have the misfortune to have been over endowed in the breast department. Some of us are quite sensitive about having big breasts.I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks your comment is not very funny.

Nonu Wed 15-Jan-14 17:06:37

Atqui ---sigh !

Nonu Wed 15-Jan-14 17:07:25

fairly innocuous IMO

Lona Wed 15-Jan-14 17:10:24

In mine too.

JessM Wed 15-Jan-14 17:15:08

Well breasts will lactate if stimulated by a newborn sucking. Women have got lactation going for adopted babies, even without ever giving birth.
Stone age grans would have probably lactated almost continuously throughout adult life so v easy for them.

Aka Wed 15-Jan-14 17:15:23

Oh I'm quite well endowed Atqui and I hope I have a sense of fun too.

papaoscar Wed 15-Jan-14 17:49:57

Well, shiver me timbers! Here I am looking forward to a jolly debate about Vanessa's twitterings or whatever, and instead I find myself deeply submerged in a sea of motherly 'creme de la creme', as it were. Faced with the prospect of a heavy broadside from flotillas of breast-feeding grannies, I strike my colours and surrender, ladies, and will make a dash for the lifeboats. Bye, bye!

Ana Wed 15-Jan-14 17:51:43

Thank goodness for small mercies...hmm

Anne58 Wed 15-Jan-14 17:56:53

Why are you deserting papaoscar who knows which direction this thread might go in, and as yet you don't seem to have contributed to "a jolly debate" perhaps if you did the thread may take another direction, they often do............

Nonu Wed 15-Jan-14 17:58:08

winkwink

Judthepud2 Wed 15-Jan-14 19:03:20

Poor Vanessa. She always opens her mouth to put her foot in it!

My DDs would be horrified if I had suggested this! Which I wouldn't, much as I adore all my GCs. There is a time for everything and then that time is gone. I think that Stone Age grannies would rarely have passed 40 and didn't get to the stage of menopause.

Personally speaking, I haven't much in the way of female hormones left to do the business. Thanks Anastrozole! grin