Gransnet forums

AIBU

To get a wee bit bored with my DDs conversation at times

(36 Posts)
felice Mon 27-Jan-14 14:43:14

Feeling a bit guilty, as some of you know I live in the granny flat in DD and Sils house, very cheap rent and they are very good to me. If we are not going out I go upstairs for a cup of tea morning, And today went up after SO had been for lunch, always when invited, just spent 30 mins hearing about Xbox One, ummmmmm, tried to sound interested but just failed,,,,!!
DD is an intelligent young woman but yes her hobby is gaming, hubby works away a lot and i know she enjoys playing the games in the evenings, but i really havn't got a clue what she is talking about., Now feel a bit guilty about doing a runner.

rosesarered Fri 07-Feb-14 16:46:38

The thing is; we all think our own conversation is riveting and a lot of others on the boring side. grin We have to grin and bear it for the sake of relationships.

felice Thu 06-Feb-14 14:51:32

Would love to Elegran, but as I am a retired chef and SIL trained originally as a chef, she is quite honest about why my sauce is better than hers, I don't have to tell her, the text will be to tell me when she needs the sauce upstairs, she was very sneaky, started with how much nicer my sauce was to hers and would i come up later and help her make one!!!!!! I said ok, then it was ah maybye it would be easier if I gave you the stuff and you can do it in your kitchen,,,,,,
She is quite nervous about cooking her dad is also a chef, works for a celebrity one actually, and she never seems to be confident in the kitchen, except for pastry and her flaky is to die for.
Most people cook from scratch here, even shopping for fresh stuff daily, ready meals are not popular, used more for emergencies then regular meals.
Still at the end of the day it is nice to be needed, although she is very open in how much she appreciates me, SIL too, I just needed a moan i think.

Aka Thu 06-Feb-14 14:22:45

That's inspired Elegran

Anyway better get off into town before Mr Aka gets back and attempts to bore beguile me with his exploits on the golf pitch.

Elegran Thu 06-Feb-14 14:17:48

You need to get in there smartly before her with 45 minutes on why your white sauce is so much better than hers and giving her tips on how to improve her own, then diverting into cheese sauce, onion sauce, parsley sauce, apple sauce, sauce au diable, hollandaise, bearnaise, uses for left-over sauces of all varieties, how to freeze sauces so that they don't dry out or lose their flavour, the best combinations of meats with sauces, etc etc etc.

You are just not trying, felice !

Aka Thu 06-Feb-14 14:12:12

Didn't mean to blank your post felice we crossed in hyperspace. Oh dear! Was she upstairs on the Xbox when she texted you.

Text her back 'I am not programmed to respond in this area' hmm

Aka Thu 06-Feb-14 14:09:39

Beats having to listen to his prowess (or lack of it) on the golf pitch court or whatever they call it red

Luckily Mr Aka doesn't take offence easily and I do listen with rapt attention when he describes how he's tidied the kitchen for me (for me?) and praise him to high heaven.

felice Thu 06-Feb-14 14:05:22

She did it again, went upstairs for a nice cup of tea and a chat, got 45 minutes on Minecraft,,,,,,,,,, Xbox game. Managed to change the subject eventually, then got a nice request, could i make a white sauce for her for tonight as mines is much nicer than hers, here is the milk, butter etc, i will text you 30 mins before i need it.
Ok SIL is away tonight and friends come round taking turns to provide dinner, they are all childless so easier if they come to here.
I am always invited but my language skills arn't really up to listening to chat round the dinner table sometimes.
Ok got that off my chest, thanks folks x

rosesarered Thu 06-Feb-14 10:59:14

AKA not really, if you don't want a] a huge row or b] hurt their feelings.

Aka Wed 05-Feb-14 23:56:53

At least with the DH there can be no problem with telling them 'You're mistaking me for someone who's interested darling' ... surely?

JessM Wed 05-Feb-14 18:36:37

There was a chap in a cafe holding forth about his opinions to all and sundry today, so loudly that I could hear him upstairs .

ninathenana Wed 05-Feb-14 17:55:27

SiL has two topics of conversation, his car and work. DD's friend avoids visiting at all costs when he's home, I don't have that luxury grin

Ana Wed 05-Feb-14 17:45:42

Yes - strange how a lot of men assume that the subject of their conversation must be riveting to you, but woe betide you if you presume to interrupt one of their favourite tv programmes to impart information of your own...hmm

janerowena Wed 05-Feb-14 17:41:55

I found that it was better to keep quiet about any nice things I got up to, as DD's life is all work and very little play and she gets a tad jealous. We just stick to the GCs and family news. She doesn't ask and I don't tell, she sees snippets on fb but rarely asks for details. She isn't boring though, we have good conversations.

I know what you mean about being in mid tv-programme though. I was in the middle of The Bridge when DBH got around to opening his post. There was a photo of a small section of railway line showing a worker's crossing and end of the platform. He waxed lyrical about it for at least ten minutes. I can't believe how polite I can be at times.

KatyK Wed 05-Feb-14 16:07:46

I feel as you do Tegan. My life is of no interest to my DD at all. DH and I have been to so many fantastic places, and done so much 'stuff' but it is of little interest. She is most impressed by her friend's mum and dad as I have harped on abut on GN before. If I am out with her and she meets someone she knows, she never introduces me, I just lurk about in the background. I rang her once at work (the only time I have ever done so) to tell her that I had been nominated by my workplace to go to a garden party at Buckingham Palace. I was really excited. She was slightly irritated that I had phoned her. Now I just go with the flow. I listen to her but don't expect to be asked about my life. Most mums I speak to have the same problem. Hey ho.

maxgran Wed 05-Feb-14 15:57:41

My daughter phones me regularly.
I can be on the phone for half an hour without saying hardly anything at all.
She rabbits on about her job and about the kids and her friends problems....

I have to 'switch off' Its like listening to a machine gun going off!

My OH often looks across to see if I have fallen asleep!

Tegan Mon 03-Feb-14 18:34:51

I phoned my daughter up a few days ago to tell her something that I found quite important, but she was tied up with something. Thought she might phone me back at some point to talk about it but, thus far haven't heard from her. I feel that my life is of no interest to her sad, even though I seem to do far more than she does. My ex, whenever we set off on holiday would straight away start telling me what work needed doing on the car; I was a captive audience confused.

kalexie Mon 03-Feb-14 15:47:04

I have to admit to the (very) occasional pang of guilt over being bored to oblivion when my DH embarks on a detailed comparison of the virtues of one diesel engine over another diesel engine (mega YAWN) he being a motor mechanic for the last 40 odd years. And you can bet your bottom dollar it will happen at a crucial point in the middle of Columbo or Midsomer Murders!!!!!

As we live in France, I'm sometimes tempted to ask him how interested he would be if I endeavoured to explain to him the intricacies of using the french subjunctive and all it's conjugations. Mmmmm, is that a bit naughty?

felice Wed 29-Jan-14 13:16:04

Dutch, French and in some areas German although at the moment there is a bill going through the parliaments, we have two of them !! to make English the fourth official language.

rosesarered Wed 29-Jan-14 12:22:56

Thats the wine Felice [or are they REALLY speaking in French or whatever they speak where you live?]

felice Tue 28-Jan-14 23:13:57

DD knows I hate the bloody thing, but she talks to her wee half-brother through it,,yes yes,,,
I actually have used it and had fun playing some of the building games at times. That is the problem, I enjoyed it, now I get lectures on it, ummmmm
She doesn't bore her DH as she doesn't play it when he is at home.She is actually very up on local and european politics, we do like to have a laugh at Ukip, especially when we see them in the bar across the road!!!
it has been raining here all day, I wonder who is to blame for that,,,hehe.
Sorry had an old friend round for dinner tonight, and 2 glasses of wine make me a bit facetious.
On another trend watching what I think would be a good detective movie if i could actually make out what they are saying!!!!

janerowena Tue 28-Jan-14 19:44:38

I think I would give the xbox a go. I did, just for my SIL's sake, it just wasn't my thing but I think, at least I tried. DBH bores me rigid at times, I did try to get involved with and be excited by the world of bogeys and shunts, but in the end I just had to say to him it's the equivalent of me reading him out loud to him the first twelve rows of a fairisle knitting pattern. Now he keeps it shorter and to the point.

JessM Tue 28-Jan-14 16:27:09

You are obviously a good listener sunseeker.
OP reminds me of my son, at 12, when space invaders was the latest thing. After a long day teaching 12 year olds, I was of course, riveted, to hear all about this exciting new form of play. hmm
Suggest you point out gently that you are happy she is enjoying her new hobby, but it is not a suitable topic of conversation when addressing adults who are not similarly enthralled. It's your duty as a mother to stop her boring the *s off her DH, the people in the supermarket queue and any other adult she wishes to relate to, however briefly grin
Perhaps you could take up a new interest together as she is not out at work? Widen her horizons a bit, bless her?

MamaCaz Tue 28-Jan-14 16:06:55

Felice. This idea might be a bit radical I know, but could you start faking a really big interest in her gaming? Keep pestering her to let you have a go, and if you can play act well enough she might become worried that you are going to want to play on her Xbox One (whatever that is!!!) all the time. This fear might prompt her to start avoiding the subject when she sees you. smile Either that, or you might find that it is genuinely more fun than sitting there bored, in which case you will have a new pastime!

But I suppose there is the danger that it could backfire - it might just encourage her to talk about gaming even more than she does now! hmm

sunseeker Mon 27-Jan-14 21:18:08

I was at a dinner party once and was sat next to someone I didn't know, making conversation I asked if he had any hobbies - I then spent the next 2 1/2 hours listening to the details of his successes and failures in archery competitions.

I must be a better actress than I thought because when we said goodbye at the end of the evening, he said how nice it was to talk to someone so interested in his hobby!!

felice Mon 27-Jan-14 19:54:45

We don't live in Uk and Dr Who not really our thing, so I would not be able to talk much about it since i watched it as a child. DD watches local TV except for satirical comedy on BBC.
I think it is just me who is bored, it is cold and damp here and my Arthritis is keeping me in the house, and this time of year just gets me down a bit. I am probably annoying DD as much as she is me, but she is too polite to say so, lol.
Too much to think about in Scotland just now to make it very relaxing and as I don't have a say in it as not a resident now not much point really AKA.
Ah well a nice glass of wine I think and feet up on the sofa for the rest of the evening, have a good evening all of you.