Gransnet forums

AIBU

To consider cutting contact with mother in law

(36 Posts)
suzied Tue 04-Feb-14 19:38:25

I have never really got on with my Mil, she has made it clear I am not good enough for her DS, is hypercritical and cantankerous, often saying upsetting things. I cope with this by being polite but distant. I know she is my DH mother, is 93 and not in the best of health, even though she lives independently . I have tried to involve her in family events etc. DH takes her shopping, out to lunch, and she regularly has a meal here( at least twice a week). However, last night was the last straw. Nothing was good enough. The pasta was not cooked ( it was), her tv wasn't working ( it is), there are too many black people around etc, ,but when I asked her to stop being aggressive and angry when it wasn't our fault, she really went into one. I am the worst DiL in the world! she much preferred my DHs other girl friends, I dont put any photos of her on the wall, I am a rotten mother, why couldn't I be more like my sister, everyone loves her except me etc etc. when I said calmly that I was cool towards her because she had upset me on many other occasions and had never apologised she got even angrier. I didn't shout ( unlike her who shouts and spits all the time) and this makes her even worse. She stormed out saying she was never going to come to our house again. My DH calmed her down and took her home,she didn't finish her meal except for the wine! My DH feels he us still got to maintain contact,, although he is golden boy and never comes in for her bile, apart from marrying me I suppose! DH says we should just let her stew for a bit and she will be lonely and forget her anger. Should I insist on an apology? Just avoid her totally and say DH has to see her alone? Exclude her from family gatherings? Or just carry on as before and pretend she hasn't said such upsetting things to me? Excuse the rant, just writing it down makes me feel a bit better.

suzied Wed 05-Feb-14 10:28:54

Yes she always been a difficult "my way or no way" personality, and as she's got older and inevitably no longer the queen bee this makes her even more grumpy. She does have some good qualities doesn't moan too much about her health ( that would be an admission of weakness) , works hard and doesn't give up, but her constant criticism from the minute she gets in the door ("you haven't laid the table yet I see" or "I hope you're not cooking me sprouts as I had them for lunch " ) I know this sounds minor and we do try to smile and my DH says " the sergeant major's arrived" is irritating beyond belief. The racist remarks about the neighbours and personal attacks are less easy to smile at. I do compare her to my own gran who lived to be 100 and was sweet and smiley and loved to sing to us. Being nasty at any age is surely unacceptable, however I do know she won't change, won't apologise ( it's all my fault and she is only telling the truth after all is the way she sees it), so I will just keep my distance and try to avoid any further unpleasantness. I don't see myself avoiding her completely though. I know we all have a limited time , but this has been going on since she was widowed about 20 years ago. Before then she had her poor husband to terrorise. To be honest I've had enough of gritting my teeth.

Mamie Wed 05-Feb-14 10:55:21

I would challenge her a bit. Not over everything, but I would say, "Actually MiL we don't like racism in our house, much rather you didn't make that sort of comment". Say it calmly, in a non-confrontational way and smile. "Oh, I can't agree with you there". "No, I haven't laid the table yet, are you very hungry?". Mumsnet would suggest "Did you mean to be so rude?"
My MiL was cantankerous and would have just got more and more difficult if had let her get away with it.

Mamie Wed 05-Feb-14 11:09:22

Sorry interrupted by a delivery mid-post.
I would also let her see that bad behaviour has consequences. If you take her for coffee and she behaves well then you can say that it was nice and arrange a day to do it again. If she behaves badly, then leave it longer than normal to contact her. She may not get the message, but you will be in control.

janthea Wed 05-Feb-14 13:23:10

Mamie grin

POGS Wed 05-Feb-14 13:24:07

Suzied

Having had a lifetime of dealing with exactly the same MIL as yours I will say the advice Mamie has just given you is pretty much bang on. It sadly took me years to do it but it worked and we are now, reasonably sociable with each other.

The advert on the tele where the old granny leaves the room after being rude at the dinner table and bangs the piano keys on her way out and says "We never knew who your father was" always makes me smile as it sums her up to a tee.

At her age I would carry on with the contact but introduce the actions Mamie has mentioned. Why?. Because I would suspect you are the better person and one day you will be glad you did.

I wouldn't mind betting that there are many folk around you who have the situation sussed and I would say lastly, don't be hard on yourself if you start to take control, she may even respect you more.

Good luck. flowers

maxgran Wed 05-Feb-14 15:50:40

If you have put up with it for a long time - you may as well carry on as she is 93.
Just bite your tongue and refuse to get into an argument.

However, if it is really upsetting you and making you feel stressed I think it is perfectly reasonable to ask your DH to visit his mother on his own or bring her to your house when you are out.
You don't HAVE to tolerate this if you don't want to.

Discuss with your DH - He should be helping you come to some sort of solution over this!

merlotgran Wed 05-Feb-14 16:06:28

She sounds like a female Alf Garnet, suzied. I think your only option is to grit your teeth and try to see the funny side of some of her comments. You could also imagine a little thought bubble above your head where you store all the things you would really like to say but can't. I used to do this when I was teaching and it worked every time. grin

shysal Wed 05-Feb-14 16:20:10

Does DH stand up for you to her face or only behind her back? I really think he should put your feelings first in these circumstances, and intervene immediately. If he insisted on taking her home early each time she is rude it is possible she might think before speaking out of turn!

I had the opposite problem with my ex MIL. She mistakenly thought I was wonderful. Until I divorced her DS!

suzied Wed 05-Feb-14 17:41:04

My DH does support me, but he teases her too, which makes her mad (come to think of it most things seem to make her mad!). I agree I must be the bigger person and not let her get to me, but its very wearing! Ill try some of the strategies suggested, maybe even initiate a conversation (something I avoid like the plague). Fortunately we are away this weekend so excuse not to have her round, so we have an excuse not to see her for a bit, by which time she will no doubt have invented a story to justify her unpleasant comments.

jeanie99 Wed 05-Mar-14 09:55:46

MIL I know exactly where you are coming from.
The thing that upset me the most apart from the nasty comments was our children were always treated differently to my husbands sisters children.
She couldn't do enough for them, she took them on outings and had them stay for weekends, praised them until you were sick of hearing it.
I was never good enough for her son and she made it clear. we had nothing in common her only interest was bingo.
I tolerated her as you do to keep the cart on the wheels as you say and after the children grew up just visited occasionally with my husband, he was a very good son to her but when we moved out of the area I stopped visiting and we only had her occasionally for a stay over.
She died last year at 92 and she never realised that I was the one who asked the children to visit her because they never would have bothered since they didn't have a relationship with her.
I have to smile because after all the bragging about her daughters children being so clever they never did get to University but ours did, that must have really stuck in her throat.
As she got older my husband visited her on his own did the shopping and gardening staying over if she needed him.
My husband only realised later what a nasty person she could be he had made excused for her behavior for years.

Tell your husband you don't want her in your home, life is too short to put up with nasty people.