Gransnet forums

AIBU

Do you have a lucky charm/item in your home to bring you luck!

(37 Posts)
bikergran Sun 09-Feb-14 18:17:23

I havn't! I used to have a soapstone fish that was supposed to bring you wealth lol but!!! 24 yrs on I'm still waiting hmm

Grannieanne Sun 16-Feb-14 13:46:29

It never seemed to work with regard to wealth either!

Grannieanne Sun 16-Feb-14 13:39:59

No, I never mentioned it, but the really odd thing was that my DD had been trying for ages to get pregnant, and was almost on the point of going to the doctor about it - weird or what?

Judthepud2 Sat 15-Feb-14 23:48:08

Sorry. I meant runic necklace! Time for bed!

Judthepud2 Sat 15-Feb-14 23:46:11

Great story Grannieanne! grin Do your family know about the pentangle and it's secret powers?

Marelli Sat 15-Feb-14 10:28:30

Grannieanne grin! I mentioned the pentacle that I've kept in my purse for years. I'd been really very ill in hospital and was awaiting the doctor's ward round. I clutched my pentacle tightly, as he gradually made his way around the beds and when he got to me, he again examined me and said that I could go home. I wouldn't have to have the dreaded operation after all, even though I'd been all 'marked-out' for it....! Many might scoff hmm, but I wouldn't like to lose that wee talisman! wink

Grannieanne Sat 15-Feb-14 08:09:29

I've never been the slightest superstitious, but this did make me think - a few years ago I had an important birthday, and my nearest & dearest wanted me to choose a piece of jewellery. We were in Scotland at the time, and I chose a lovely silver necklace with a purple enamel inset with a runic symbol on it (obviously my hippie roots coming through) I asked the assistant what the sign meant and she said it was the symbol for Freya, who was the goddess of wealth and fertility. We both joked that a little wealth wouldn't come amiss, and I wore it constantly for the next few days. Imagine our surprise to discover within a week or so of coming home that both my DD and my son's girlfriend were pregnant, and went on to give birth within 2 days of each other! I don't wear it so much now!!!

ffinnochio Thu 13-Feb-14 13:22:22

Good news Jud.

How did I miss this thread?

I have a wonderful Temari made for me by thatbags based on the Chinese HOU - meaning Good Luck.

Shortly after receiving it, I was able to make a decision that had been bothering me for months. I choose to believe it is the wonderful Temari that helped me make it. smile

Marelli Thu 13-Feb-14 10:05:31

Judthepud2 - wonderful news! smileflowers

baubles Wed 12-Feb-14 20:40:37

Good news Jud smile

thatbags Wed 12-Feb-14 20:34:09

Glad to hear that, jud. Time to celebrate wine cupcake

Judthepud2 Wed 12-Feb-14 20:17:23

The miracle charm worked indeed Marelli. I'm signed off! No more drugs or treatment. Crossed the 5 year hurdle at last! I'm officially a cancer survivor. Hurrah! grin wine

bikergran Tue 11-Feb-14 22:22:33

strangely enough today! my friend whom is very religious (I'm not) gave me a little wooden type bracelet with stickers on depicting Saints, she said they will look after me! hence I have the bracelet on now as I typesmile and tomorrow I shall go and do the Irish lottery (which means I have to go in the Betting Shop) shock

Marelli Tue 11-Feb-14 21:25:21

Best of wishes for tomorrow, Jud. Your charm will have worked its magic, I'm sure. flowers.

Judthepud2 Tue 11-Feb-14 21:18:00

Thanks KatyK.

KatyK Tue 11-Feb-14 19:16:35

Hope it goes well Jud flowers

Judthepud2 Tue 11-Feb-14 17:15:39

I was not usually superstitious but like FloweroftheWest that changed when I was diagnosed with breast cancer. My daughter gave me a little metal charm with 'miracle' printed on it before my surgery. I held it in my hand constantly for the next 6 months and then at every review. Tomorrow going for my final review and hope to be signed off! Can't find my lucky charm though hmm

granjura Mon 10-Feb-14 19:40:46

I don't have one. Made me smile to hear today that Jenny Jones, who won the first ever British medal on snow, for snowboarding, at the ripe old age of 33, and having learnt on an artificial slop near Gloucester- keeps a lucky tea-bag in her bra for good luck smile

Marelli Mon 10-Feb-14 18:08:30

I keep a piece of citrine in my purse. It's supposed to ensure that your purse will never be empty of money. I also keep a small, very worn pentacle in my purse as well. This from my 'hippy' days when I chose (and probably still do choose) to believe that the power of nature and not orthodox religion is the way to go! smile

bikergran Mon 10-Feb-14 17:22:02

I have heard of 2 teaspoons in a cup indicates a wedding...

besottedgran Mon 10-Feb-14 01:01:19

Can anyone remember the superstitions surrounding setting the table? My great auntie Liz believed that while setting the table if by mistake --2 teaspoons in a saucer meant birth/pregnancy --2 knives meant an argument--dropping a knife meant a gentleman caller (a fork meant lady caller) . Can anyone remember any others or was my family just extra superstitious? Btw they belonged Leith.

LizG Mon 10-Feb-14 00:34:45

You aren't my daughter are you ga? I get teased by my family because I get upset when shoes are left on the table. I won't walk under ladders and touch wood regularly but I am forever saying 'I don't believe in these things'!

newist Sun 09-Feb-14 23:51:42

Cockington forge has happy memories for me I used to go there quite often

harrigran Sun 09-Feb-14 23:18:16

I have a little horseshoe bought at Cockington forge in 1966. I have carried this when I sat my Nursing final exams and when I sat my driving test, all passed. DC were given horseshoe for O and A levels again all passed with flying colours. I am not really superstitious but the horseshoe was a very handy little keyring.

grannyactivist Sun 09-Feb-14 22:15:52

My Taiwanese son has given me lots of 'lucky' symbols over the years, mostly dangly jade things. I have accepted them all and appreciate his good wishes, but I don't have a superstitious bone in my body.
My mother and siblings however are incredibly superstitious. My sister is a business woman and once gave an important presentation whilst wearing her cardigan inside out, because it's 'bad luck' to change an inside out garment. confused Who thinks these things up? Like believing that putting new shoes on a table is bad luck? A few years ago I did this in my mother's house and the way she reacted you'd have thought I'd put a live snake on the table - her shriek of get that box of there could be heard a mile away. hmm

Flowerofthewest Sun 09-Feb-14 20:55:14

A friend popped some Rose Quartz inside her bra one day, think it was for luck, that evening she phoned me in a panic to say that she was getting undressed and had found a lump in her breast. I suggested that she undress completely and examine herself then see her GP the next day. A few minutes later she rang to say that - YES, it was the Rose Quartz crystal.