Gransnet forums

AIBU

To expect people to behave 'properly' at the theatre?

(58 Posts)
kittylester Mon 10-Feb-14 10:12:01

Every six months or so, my three daughters and I have lunch together and go to a musical. Yesterday our first such trip for a while because of a rash of babies, we went to see a matinee performance of 'Dirty Dancing', not particularly my choice but they were all really keen.

We had really good seats, in the middle of the stalls, about 10 rows back. The audience was largely made up of women. The whole thing was ruined, for us, by people who had obviously been lots of times before and persisted in talking loudly to each other, joining in with the songs at the top of their voices, swaying with their arms in the air, standing up and whooping loudly.

After DD2 had shushed a group of four women in front of us and been ignored, DD3 tapped one on the shoulder and very politely asked her to be a little quieter where upon the woman turned and told her to 'shut the f* up'.

The worst offenders for swaying were sitting next to me and, when I asked to get out during the interval, complained that I was an f***ing nuisance as she had to pick her [loads of] shopping bags off the floor.

All this behaviour seemed to be exacerbated by the fact that people were allowed to take drinks to their seats and lots of women were coming back with plastic half pint 'glasses' full of wine.

It was impossible to complain to an usher as we were in the middle of a row.

Sorry for the long complicated post but I am really cross angry

absent Mon 10-Feb-14 18:30:40

I think Galen has got it right. People are so used to talking, making cups of tea, eating biscuits, joining in the songs, pointing out the cute kid, asking what is happening now, getting up and wandering about, etc. while they are watching television in their own homes, they do it in theatres and cinemas without realising how disruptive it is for the rest of the audience.

I don't think it's age related. I have been irritated by two dozy old bats when I took absentdaughter to see The Wizard of Oz years ago – every time Toto appeared they said, "Oooooh, isn't he sweeeeeet!" among other annoying observations. Equally, I have been driven potty by people younger than me talking about the last play they went to see without watching the one we were currently attending. Presumably, that's the one they would talk about at the next play they went to "see".

Galen Mon 10-Feb-14 19:21:52

Not me! Honest gov!

absent Mon 10-Feb-14 19:34:47

Sorry! smile

GillT57 Mon 10-Feb-14 19:41:21

When my friend was living in Singapore she couldn't believe the cinema behaviour! Huge family groups all chattering and laughing, mobile phones on and being used, not just a glow from someone texting.....and worse of all the audience bring in pots of fish head curry bought from the vendors outside and eat it noisily with chopsticks, slurping, eating and talking. Nice shock

Gally Mon 10-Feb-14 19:45:40

Moi, I think - it begins with G so I can understand the confusion wink

Deedaa Mon 10-Feb-14 22:10:57

My DD has just booked tickets for us to see The Night Garden Live in July. I suspect the toddlers will be rather better behaved than some of the audiences we've been reading about - not sure about some of the mothers and grannies though hmm

whenim64 Mon 10-Feb-14 22:28:53

We went with twin grandsons to see In the Night Garden a couple of years ago. It was fabulous. We took a picnic to have first as the layout under the large tent was staged with loads of seating that looked like grass to resemble the programme. The children could run up and down and move around whilst it was on, and there were lots of helpers for mums with prams. The children were spellbound.