Gransnet forums

AIBU

You cannot be proud to be…

(130 Posts)
absent Sat 22-Feb-14 20:04:38

…Scottish, a woman or gay any more than you can be proud to be blue-eyed, naturally blonde and have long legs. These are random qualities. You cannot be proud of your daughter's PhD, your grandson's portrayal of a sheep in the nativity play or your son's promotion. These are their achievements, not yours. You can only be proud – if that's an emotion to which your susceptible – of things over which you have control – your own achievements, behaviour and, I suppose, possessions.

Ceesnan Wed 26-Feb-14 11:14:03

Phew! Thanks for that Jingl

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 26-Feb-14 11:11:25

No!!! Can't! Sun's shining. Got to get my sorry ar sit-upon out and about a bit!

Laters.

Elegran Wed 26-Feb-14 11:07:21

jings If you return to the Daft Game another round has started. Your expertise hmm is lost somewhere invaluable.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 26-Feb-14 11:05:01

shock can't believe I'm back on this silly thread when there's a sunny day out there! hmm

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 26-Feb-14 11:03:08

Last paragraph of postMon 24-Feb-14 23:35:47. That's when it got personal, rather than about the post.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 26-Feb-14 11:01:18

It was janeainsworth. To avoid any more dreadful confusion.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 26-Feb-14 10:59:47

God no!It's not you ceesnan! I agreed with you (and yours) Still do!

Ceesnan Wed 26-Feb-14 10:55:56

Just come back after a day away to find this state of affairs and I'm sure it's me that Jingl is pointing the finger at. In retrospect it was probably insensitive to pass on the opinion of my family, and if in doing so I have upset you Absent then I am sorry. However, I do think that by posting the statement without clarifying the meaning of pride to which you were referring was opening yourself up for negative comments. Peace!

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 26-Feb-14 09:19:32

Thank you bags. smile

thatbags Wed 26-Feb-14 09:16:44

Yes. Stop the Jingle bashing, folks.

Again.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 26-Feb-14 09:14:40

shock I'm the only one who disagreed then? I don't think so!

I think another particular poster, naming no name, could be the one who turned it personally nasty.

janeainsworth Wed 26-Feb-14 00:33:25

Only from you, jingl

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 25-Feb-14 23:05:14

Putting the original post on a forum for grannies/nannas was rather asking for trouble. hmm

Agus Tue 25-Feb-14 22:05:39

Exactly When and for me these feelings are treasured in today's sense of pride as opposed to the OED sense. Not for me, for my family.

ffinnochio Tue 25-Feb-14 21:32:17

I've also thoroughly enjoyed this thread. I don't think I've changed my personal view on being proud, but it has set me thinking and am going to let it all filter through for a while. Perhaps it's because I've experienced shame that I find holding pride inhibiting.

...but I certainly embrace and hold my children's goodness and their place in this world with much happiness.

thatbags Tue 25-Feb-14 21:26:01

All is well then.

absent Tue 25-Feb-14 21:20:32

thatbags is the conclusion I have also reached – and what I was inquiring about in the first place.

thatbags Tue 25-Feb-14 21:12:36

I don't think proud is used much in that OED sense nowadays, absent. I'm not sure what such overweening opinion or inordinate self-esteem would be called – narcissism, maybe? – but I think that meaning for pride is, if not obsolete, then nearly so. Jane Austen might have agreed with that definition more than most of us. I think modern interpretations are milder, as much of this thread seems to be saying.

whenim64 Tue 25-Feb-14 20:42:17

Yes, that's how I feel Agus. Bursting with pride at times, but try not to overdo it grin

Agus Tue 25-Feb-14 20:40:22

I do think though When someone who is a modest character can still feel pride in their family but doesn't shout it from the rooftops.

Depending on the job too, there are occasions whereby people are expected to big themselves up to impress the interviewer, ie Salesmen/women and more so in the current employment climate.

janeainsworth Tue 25-Feb-14 20:36:15

absent this has been one of the better threads, IMHO. I'm not going to say anything about those who tried to disrupt it because I think they're best ignored.

Nonu Tue 25-Feb-14 20:27:35

Stick around long enough and you most certainly WILL .
wink

Kiora Tue 25-Feb-14 20:22:55

REALLY!shock How come I have never seen any rude words?

whenim64 Tue 25-Feb-14 20:07:54

I thought most of this thread was an interesting debate. Made me think a bit more about the different ways I express my feelings about my friends and family. Like janeainsworth says a little modesty impresses, too. The most memorable person I interviewed for a job working with women gave competent answers to everything the panel asked her, but blew us away when we asked her if there was anything else she'd like to tell us, and she said 'well, I worked voluntarily for a year helping a group of women set up a work cooperative to trade their craft goods in Malawi.' After listening to other unsuitable applicants bigging up their ability to listen or empathise, this young woman's modest description of what she did got her the job.

Nonu Tue 25-Feb-14 19:59:02

Kiora , you had better believe it , some posters do !!

L O L