Gransnet forums

AIBU

...to be glad when the weekend is over?

(98 Posts)
Soutra Sun 09-Mar-14 21:01:15

DD wished me a "fun" weekend on Friday. confused What is fun about weekends? Since retirement weekends are just like any other day only more so since the activities I enjoy - lit, film club, book group etc happen on weekdays or evenings. DH does his usual of taking most of the day to read the paper, do the crossword/sudoku/griddler and has no interest in going anywhere. His lack of mobility and energy rule out NT houses and when I have suggested visiting a garden he is apathetic. So today I cleaned 2 bathrooms ( his being a no-go area) spent 2 hours weeding and tidying up in the garden, did a load of washing and hung it out, hrated some soup for lunch, watched the rugby, made supper and now am watching Crufts. Himself has gone off for an early night and I am left wondering how I cope with all this excitement and fun. hmm

JessM Mon 10-Mar-14 07:17:54

I find sometimes that weekends are a good time to 1. do the cleaning, thus leaving the week completely clear (not every weekend you understand... just when it really needs it) and 2. Make a huge batch of food that will allow me to not cook on several weeknights (great big pasta bake for instance - mince, pasta shapes, sprinkling of cheese, less faff and less fattening than lasagne, re-heats well; or a big vat of soup)
Soutra I'm sure there are people out there who would love your company on a weekend. Since moving here I have found it easier to meet potential friends who are not in a couple - mostly through choir.
If you wanted to volunteer - the Cowper museum? Or helping at church? Or join U3a and start your own group on a Satruday or Sunday. I happen to know that a u3a near you always has a waiting list for book groups but short of people to organise them (for instance). I go to one u3a group, once a month, which is very low maintenance. We meet in a quiet hotel bar in the morning. We choose a theme and then look for poems on the theme (either old favourites or ones we have not read before) and then we turn up, get a coffee, and read out poems out. We don't discuss them. It is rather relaxing. All group leader needs to do is email everyone to remind them of theme. And any basic admin that u3a requires.
Just remembered that it is Monday (not Sunday) and therefore it is poetry today!!! grin

Aka Mon 10-Mar-14 07:32:46

Mollie weekends are different as I have the GC most weekdays. So they are my 'days off'.

gillybob Mon 10-Mar-14 07:50:23

Please spare a thought for us working grandmas. I love my weekends away from "the dreaded place" I am always very busy with family and I try to do most of my housework then too but I still love the fact that I am away from the stress of work. Only trouble is weekends are programmed to be shorter days than weekdays I am sure of it. smile

Mamie Mon 10-Mar-14 08:09:42

Living in the middle of nowhere, we also mainly use Sundays for doing the housework. The shops are all shut and there are no events at all in winter. Actually, there aren't many in summer either and the excitement of the local version of car boot sales soon wears off. We do get to Skype to "see" the grandchildren on Sunday and as the hunting season has finished now, I can safely go out for a walk.
The compensation this weekend has been blue skies, non-stop sunshine, the tiny wild daffodils, the bleating of lambs and sitting outside feeling the warmth of the sun on my face.
I am naturally active and gregarious, but I think living here has taught me a lot about how to use my time when there is nothing on offer apart from my own resources. On the days when it does get to me, I have found that only intense physical activity is helpful in keeping me (relatively) cheerful.
I do feel for you though Soutra and others living with partners with chronic ill-health. Must be really hard.

Soutra Mon 10-Mar-14 08:35:35

On reflection and after a good night's sleep I think it boils down to expectations. These can be changed. Anyway thank you for letting me get that off my chest!
It's Monday -hurray!! sunshine

Mamie Mon 10-Mar-14 08:44:43

Monday isn't much more exciting here. OH has just gone on a 30km round trip because yesterday he dropped a tiny bolt from the ride-on mower battery and hadn't got another. None of the local shops open on Monday and a lot of the larger DiY stores only on Monday afternoon.
This is the downside of the much-praised French work / life balance. A lot of other shops are shut for the two weeks of half-term, so everyone can go skiing. I shall do some more housework.
Glad you are feeling better Soutra.

granjura Mon 10-Mar-14 09:37:45

Soutra, I really do feel for you- but perhaps you could get used to short outings and maybe lengthen a tad slowly. Just go for a nice walk, or a garden or even garden centre- does not have to be anything grand. But, unless your OH is at risk during short absences (a couple of hours)- it's very important that you allocate yourself some 'me' time. Otherwise the OH's 'I don't like being alone but I won't go out' can turn into a bit of 'blackmail' and lead to resentment. Much better for you to 'take' time for yourself and come back refreshed and relaxed. I am fully aware that that can be VERY difficult if he is used to you accepting the status quo.

Much harder for Deeda if husband cannot be left alone for medical reasons- but even then- maybe someone could come in to be with him for a couple of hours from time to time to give you some time for yourself. Again, hard if you've never put your foot down before illness re you either sharing outings, or insisting that you go alone or with friends- if he does not want share with you. But it is never too late- go and enjoy a few hours, even on your own- and come back ready to face the world.

KatyK Mon 10-Mar-14 09:58:11

My DH is a volunteer for the National Trust too. It has been the making of
him since he retired (and consequently the making of me also) grin

ginny Mon 10-Mar-14 10:01:07

Soutra re. NT houses. If you plan in advance you can hire a buggy at many of their properties. I am restricted at the moment as to how far I can walk. Last Monday I had a lovely day out at Stowe and DD2 enjoyed driving the buggy around the grounds.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 10-Mar-14 10:03:49

Now Monday I don't like. Never really want to take it on.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 10-Mar-14 10:07:41

Mind you, it never works out as bad as I think it will.

Hey ho. Pull your finger out (me) and clean out the grate. And wash up. And Change the bed. And get the washing on. You know, like you did last Monday. And the one before....

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 10-Mar-14 10:08:30

Oh shoot me now. hmm

rosesarered Mon 10-Mar-14 10:08:31

Soutra flowers wine cupcake
I know several men , now retired that seem to sink into apathy about going out. I have a friend who when she suggests going somewhere [just for a wander about and a coffee] says 'what for?' These men are all able bodied as well! However, if they go with you [and seem unhappy] then it's hardly fun is it?My Dh is always ready for a jaunt out somewhere[probably more than me] but as he is still working [long after retirement age] he does like to rest/garden/watch rugby at the week-end, or see the DGC now and then.So, my week-ends are not very special either.Your husband isn't very well which impacts on both of you doesn't it?Still, wishing you a fun week-end seems a bit strange, it's probably something your DD says to all her friends!Once the weather is nicer [from now on?] promise yourself something that you like either on Sat or Sun, a walk, shopping, or visiting a museum/gallery etc. I like doing all those things by myself as I can take all the time I want.I also like sitting in a sunny spot and reading poetry [which I need quiet for.]I really don't think that any of our children understand [did we, when we were younger?]

FlicketyB Mon 10-Mar-14 12:32:13

Could you plan special actiivities for weekends? I have Sew Sundays. I usually do little bits of sewing and knitting as and when I can during the week but Sunday afternoon is my afternoon for having a good run at big projects. I am currently making a quilt with some applique work on it and on Sunday afternoon the living room furniture is pushed to the corners so that I can spread it on the floor and do work on it.

Not everybody sews but most people have something they do that could be made an indulgent whole or half day activity kept specially for weekends. Even just sitting in comfort and giving a whole half day to reading novels, is a way of differentiating weekends and making hem indulgently special.

I suspect that for some people just telling their DH that Sunday belongs to them and although they are in the house, they intend to devote it to their own activities and that DH will have to look to himself for the day might be difficult and may be the first step forward. He will have to make his own mid-morning/afternoon coffee, possibly fix his own lunch. Could be the start of a whole new world.

inishowen Mon 10-Mar-14 12:48:13

Since I no longer work, I love Mondays. i go to a Pilates class and catch up with my friend. It sets me up for the week. Saturday night tv is very poor, so I prefer week days for tv.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 10-Mar-14 13:02:31

Does anyone else still cook Sunday roast dinner at midday? Even if it's just the two of us I still get a little easy-to-cook joint and cook it up with all the trimmings. Makes Sunday special. And it's enjoyable! (the eating)

And then have Sunday tea, with cake. smile

Aka Mon 10-Mar-14 13:53:43

Soutra and Deedaa I don't know what to say as I'm not in that position, yet. Is there no one who can take over care duties and give you a break?

janeainsworth Mon 10-Mar-14 14:19:19

jingl sticking the easy-to-cook joint in the oven is the easy bit - getting all the other bits ready and hot at the same time is what I find stressful.
So we only have a roast dinner if any of the DCs are there, and then it's usually in the evening.
But I like the main meal in the middle of the day in some ways, as the rest if the day then seems more relaxed, as the thought of cooking the big meal isn't looming over me.

Galen Mon 10-Mar-14 15:05:56

As all the family except me seem to be veggies, and I'm usually on my own, I really can't remember when I last had a roast dinner?

Mamie Mon 10-Mar-14 15:29:08

We normally have roast meat of some sort and make it last two or three days. Tonight I am making curry with yesterday's pot roast veal and Saturday's left over escalivada from the barbecue.

Dragonfly1 Mon 10-Mar-14 15:59:26

Since DH died I rarely bother to cook a roast either, Galen. I do miss it.

Bellasnana Mon 10-Mar-14 16:08:45

Galen - it's the other way round in our family. I'm the only veggie but I do cook roasts for the rest of the family if they are around. Yesterday, DH, DD2 and SiL were painting the house so I did them a roast chicken for when they called it a day. In my own kitchen I can do it standing on my head, but in DD2's it was a lot harder, plus watching 3yr old DGD at the same time. Makes me think back to when the family were all at home, plus my mum and step-father, making eight of us every week. Happy days.

mollie Mon 10-Mar-14 16:21:15

Jingle, couldn't fit a roast in for mid-day and haven't had a proper Sunday tea since I was little! How did we ever fit it all in? I try to cook a roast every few weeks but it's too much for the two of us. We have a late breakfast between 10-11 (Sunday special, Mr M describes it) and probably eat our main meal about 4-ish depending on what we are doing. It was roast beef yesterday so left-overs tonight...better get the potatoes on I suppose...

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 10-Mar-14 16:28:38

Well, we fitted in roast chicken (easy-to-cook) bread sauce (knorr packet) roast potatos, Yorkshire puddings, carrots and broccoli. Followed by crumble and cream.

'Tea' was just toast with a bit of cheese, and cake. By the fire. In front of Countryfile.

Sunday can be very nice. smile

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 10-Mar-14 16:30:18

(Only eat porridge for brekker)