Gransnet forums

AIBU

...to be glad when the weekend is over?

(98 Posts)
Soutra Sun 09-Mar-14 21:01:15

DD wished me a "fun" weekend on Friday. confused What is fun about weekends? Since retirement weekends are just like any other day only more so since the activities I enjoy - lit, film club, book group etc happen on weekdays or evenings. DH does his usual of taking most of the day to read the paper, do the crossword/sudoku/griddler and has no interest in going anywhere. His lack of mobility and energy rule out NT houses and when I have suggested visiting a garden he is apathetic. So today I cleaned 2 bathrooms ( his being a no-go area) spent 2 hours weeding and tidying up in the garden, did a load of washing and hung it out, hrated some soup for lunch, watched the rugby, made supper and now am watching Crufts. Himself has gone off for an early night and I am left wondering how I cope with all this excitement and fun. hmm

Ana Mon 17-Mar-14 20:22:56

Just look at the instructions below the Message box for some of the information you're looking for, judidoo. I think 'flip' just means choosing which order you want to view the posts in, and 'convert links' is for when you want to insert a link to an outside source without going through all the brackets stuff...smile

judidoo Mon 17-Mar-14 20:17:56

Thanks, JessM. Yes distance is a problem, however this Forum thing does give an opportunity to say "stuff ".. and get other's thoughts etc.
I will have to learn computer-speak as I don't know what things like "Flip" and "convert links " mean,also don't know how to do people's names in BOLD letters and so much more. Never thought I would need to learn! !

JessM Mon 17-Mar-14 16:47:36

Nowhere near me then. Darn. I hope that Gransnet can provide you with some company and that your health continues to improve.

judidoo Mon 17-Mar-14 16:37:24

I hope this one doesn't fly away - the message, I mean.
I want to thank all those who've offered suggestions .I am really grateful for ideas re. the weekend. Might try the sewing day as I like making things, and also the bus trips. I am getting to do more now (a bit) after being hit hard by illness, operations,treatment, and not so long ago, bereavement. It is tough going. I have joined the local U3A. Go to a group once a month. Am also being vetted for(low-energy )voluntary work. It is still very lonely though. - Need to chat about things I've seen and done, share plans etc. The worst bit is when I shut the door and it's just me, but I am really trying hard.
By the way I live in Mon. (Monmouthshire) not Mon (Ynys Mon). Sorry if that was misleading JessM.

judidoo Sun 16-Mar-14 21:15:48

I just did a message but it's all disappeared. I'll try again tomorrow. Diolch JessM , beth bynnag.

wondergran Sun 16-Mar-14 19:58:41

I work all week and can't wait for the weekend, whether I go out or not. It's a myth that all families are together every weekend, having loving, happy family time. Family time can be tough and for women who work all week then weekends are an endless grind of housework that there simply wasn't time for in the week. I think it's time for you lonely, bored ladies to do something. Find some hobbies, especially ones that take you out of the house, try and meet other local people who are at a loose end at the weekend and start living. If hubby doesn't want to go out, fair enough but make it clear that they either start doing stuff with you or else you will need to find ways of filling the long, tedious hours. Honestly, life is too short to waste it.

Ana Sun 16-Mar-14 19:29:34

Crikey, Jess, that would be some drive...shock

JessM Sun 16-Mar-14 19:19:56

Noswaith da judidoo . There is an active U3A in the Bangor area that might interest you. They have meetings with a speaker every Thursday and a wide selection of groups you can join. Might be a way to meet people in the same boat. The majority of members are women. Also a small U3A up the top of the island. It might be a way of meeting others who are equally lonely at the weekend?
u3asites.org.uk/code/u3asite.php?site=365&page=32423

Random thought - I guess charity shops are quite keen to have Saturday volunteers ?

judidoo Sun 16-Mar-14 09:51:13

Thank you Biker and Jane for your good wishes,and Gaga for the ideas.Galen, I am new to computers as well as oneness and have been told I must not put in address etc. but you sound nice. I live in the top of Mon (Sir Fynwy ),- that is top with the map the right way up. (Am I being too cautious? I don't know...) Do you speak Welsh at all?
I think I looked for a Local Group but didn't find one.Do you know if there is anything around? Can't say distance is no object at present, as it is but hopefully things will improve.

Greenfinch Sun 16-Mar-14 05:17:29

Galen Do hope you feel better when you wake up. Just one foot is keeping me awake tonight though the morning is nearly here. Hope you have a good Sunday.

Galen Sat 15-Mar-14 22:28:26

judidoo!where in Wales are you?

Galen Sat 15-Mar-14 22:25:52

Don't know why it's so bad today, but it is!
I'm going to take load of painkillers and go to bed and hope for the best in the morning!
moonshamrock

Galen Sat 15-Mar-14 22:24:06

Archery tomorrow smile if my painful ankles and feet will let me get thereangry

Gagagran Sat 15-Mar-14 21:38:16

judidoo you sound in need of a bit of cheering up! Let me tell you about a friend of mine and what she did to fill her lonely weekends after her marriage broke up and she was transferred to a new town with her job.

She decided that if she sat and moped at home the weekends would be long and bleak and the only person to suffer would be her so she decided that she would make herself go somewhere new every Saturday. She didn't have a car but did live on a 'bus route so she got hold of 'bus and train timetables and every Saturday set off good and early on a different route to a neighbouring town. She had some lunch out in a nice restaurant or cafe and went back home for teatime. Each week she tried somewhere new. She looked at the shops, visited the art gallery/museum if there was one or even went to a cinema if the weather was poor. On Sunday she did her laundry, chores etc. and got ready for the coming week. We used to meet then too when my own commitments allowed.

She met a lot of very nice people on her travels, including, eventually, the man who became her second husband. He had asked to join her table for lunch as the restaurant was full. They had several happy years together until he unfortunately died suddenly. She is still on her own but has lots of friends and interests and lives her life as best she can.

I suppose what I'm trying to suggest is that you could try something similar and see if it makes your weekends more bearable. Worth a try? flowerssunshine and even a glass of wine sent with good wishes for a happier time ahead.

Nonu Sat 15-Mar-14 21:36:46

That sounds really good Soutra , ENJOY !!

janeainsworth Sat 15-Mar-14 21:21:25

Welcome judidoo
Have a lovely day tomorrow Soutra smile

Soutra Sat 15-Mar-14 21:18:51

Well I am hoping this weekend will be different! I have glued myself to the rugby today (bit if an obsession - and SO exciting) and tomorrow we are meeting up with 2 of our DDs plus SILs and my most favourite little men in the whole wide world for a joint birthday lunch at a pub near Althorpe ( being sort of midway between us and DD1 and family in Birmingham).DD2 is too busy to join us as she has the designs for 2 plays and an opera on the go at the moment and says working 24/7 is like plate-spinning. (Anybody who likes Stratford look out for The Roaring Girl in The Swan opening on April 12.)
Had hair done and treated myself to a nice new EAST jacket in honour of the occaasion smile

bikergran Sat 15-Mar-14 21:01:50

I'm sure you will judido lol I'm sure you will smile

judidoo Sat 15-Mar-14 20:41:23

Don't like weekends alone. Family is shrinking with the years and only child too far away and busy. Am looking for things to join, but the walking group is out for me now and not much else goes on in this neighbourhood on Sat. and Sun.. Roll on Mon. for the jolly round of shopping, Dr.'s appointments , and scintillating company of workmen sticking bits back on determinedly disintegrating house. Oh, and a few hospital visits as variation.
Longing to get a bit of conversation. Maybe I'll find it here?

Purpledaffodil Thu 13-Mar-14 07:46:22

durhamjen I did buy him a Kindle when they first came out because he lost his ability to read and write effectively after a stroke and Kindle does have a text to speech facility for a lot of books. It is a bit robotic but better than nothing. Similarly he can use Dragon software which is speech to text to send emails. However I'm afraid apathy has set in and it is so much easier for him to watch TV!
bikergran that was such a lovely message. Thank you.

granjura Wed 12-Mar-14 20:52:02

Indeed- good luck all. Small steps, one by one smile

bikergran Wed 12-Mar-14 20:25:28

thankyou smile tomorrow is a new day, let's see what we can make of it smile

Ana Wed 12-Mar-14 19:15:04

It certainly was, biker! smile wine

Nonu Wed 12-Mar-14 19:12:21

What a very nice post Biker !.
X

bikergran Wed 12-Mar-14 19:06:01

(think I will have the wine ) grin