Gransnet forums

AIBU

Mothering Sunday

(114 Posts)
trendygran Thu 27-Mar-14 17:32:04

Am I being unreasonable to feel very hurt that my DD ,SIL and DGS will be spending Sunday with SIL's Sister and BIL, several miles away. They live about half an hour away from me, but I don't see that much of them ,unless they want a babysitter! I was really hoping to spend time with them on one special Sunday in the year. I have been given a small present and a card,which is nice, but time spent with them would be much more meaningful . I lost my younger daughter 4 years ago and her family are 300 miles away ,so seeing my 2 GDs is not possible. I live alone since losing my DH in 2008 and find Sundays difficult to get through in general.

Ariadne Fri 28-Mar-14 09:22:12

And I am always reminded that I don't have a mum any more...

flowers for you, trendygran with love.

thatbags Fri 28-Mar-14 09:38:20

like this 'take' on Mothering Sunday wink My attitude? Just another day. I shall not be upset by there being no evidence that anyone in my family has even thought about it. It's just commercial nonsense nowadays regardless of its history.

One can be nice to one's mum any day.

kittylester Fri 28-Mar-14 09:45:47

I went to see my Mum yesterday. Both my brothers are going on Sunday so it seemed to make sense to spread it out a bit.

Sook Fri 28-Mar-14 09:50:25

It's the same for me Ariadne I would love to have the chance to spoil my mum flowers

janeainsworth Fri 28-Mar-14 10:28:13

Bags your link doesn't seem to work - can you post it again please?

gillybob Fri 28-Mar-14 10:40:07

I am always at a loss as to what to do about Mother's day. I think the fact that I too am a mother is somewhat forgotten. My mum would be very huffed if I didn't go to see her "on the day" even though I see her 3-4 times a week every week. My mum will not go to see grandma (her mum) so I will feel obliged to even though I make a point of having Sunday as my day off from seeing my grandma.

Sometimes I feel like my life is not my own.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 28-Mar-14 10:49:38

My daughter is bringing younger grandson to see me whilst son in law takes older grandson to see his mum (other gran). I think it's a bit odd. Sort of, sharing the kids out. confused

Doesn't bother me. I shall still cook, and eat and enjoy, a nice Sunday roast.

(When did food get to be the be all and end all in life? shock

thatbags Fri 28-Mar-14 10:57:30

That link again from The Daily Mash

thatbags Fri 28-Mar-14 10:59:51

About twenty years ago an old friend of mine recommended a book called "Pulling Your Own Strings" by Wayne W Dyer. There is some good stuff in it about situations like the Mother's Day disappointment mentioned on this thread.

harrigran Fri 28-Mar-14 11:24:58

I know that DC care about me and I don't need a specific day to be reminded. I would be happy not to see DS if I thought he and GC were pampering DIL. Last year I was with DD in Brussels, their mothering Sunday fell on my birthday in May so we had a double celebration.
I do worry that children are spending money, they can ill afford, on expensive bouquets.

thatbags Fri 28-Mar-14 12:04:36

Exactly, harrigran, No-one needs a special day to know whether their offspring appreciate them.

Here are Joanne Harris's thoughts on the subject. Refreshing, as usual.

thatbags Fri 28-Mar-14 12:05:52

Just one of the many "Hallmark holidays".

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 28-Mar-14 12:11:14

Actually I think it should be called Bad Mothers Day. (I always feel so guiltywhen they bring stuff hmm) Don't they realise they brought themselves up?!

harrigran Fri 28-Mar-14 12:31:00

Thank you bags, I enjoyed reading the article. I am reading French children don't throw food at the moment and that too gives an incite into French parenting. The book may seem odd to the younger generation but it describes accurately the way I brought up my children.

NfkDumpling Fri 28-Mar-14 13:59:47

Thank you Bags

I don't worry too much about Hallmark days either. Although I do like to have a family get-to-gether sometime over the Christmas and Easter breaks. Sometimes, just occasionally, these gatherings actually match the day itself - although rarely at Christmas. As for Mothers Day, I feel chuffed if any of them remember to send a card!

nightowl Fri 28-Mar-14 14:31:53

Like Ariadne, I would love to have a mother to visit.

flowersto those of you who are missing your children, for whatever reason.

goldengirl Fri 28-Mar-14 17:07:15

I think it's the days in between that are more important. Not the day that we're told to think of mothers by those who make money out of it. For me it's always nice if I see my family but if its not on THE day it certainly doesn't worry me.

FlicketyB Fri 28-Mar-14 17:19:12

Both DC live a long way away from me, DS and family, 200 miles. DD 100 miles. She also works shifts and is working on Sunday.

I rarely see them on Mother's day, I have cards from both of them waiting to be opened. I really do not want any gifts. I think it depends on family traditions, I and DSs only ever sent our DM a card but otherwise didn't make a big deal of Mother's Day and as a recipient I feel just the same.

wisewoman Fri 28-Mar-14 17:30:01

I think Mothers Day is a day for small children to bake cakes and make mess, make lovely home made cards and give their mums breakfast in bed. Doesn't need to cost money but the children enjoy doing something for mummy and harassed mums feel pampered and loved. I don't think it is for grans and certainly not for expensive bouquets etc. We have had our day of lovely home made cards and cardboard daffodils made out of egg boxes!! It is time for the next generation to enjoy.

FlicketyB Fri 28-Mar-14 17:39:34

Absolutely.

rosequartz Fri 28-Mar-14 17:50:05

And a bunch of daffodils

Iam64 Fri 28-Mar-14 18:00:39

Yes to the last 3 posts

annodomini Fri 28-Mar-14 18:19:15

If it gives my DSs pleasure to spoil me a bit, who am I to complain and, Bags, they are nice to me the rest of the year as well. I am one lucky mum and granny.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 28-Mar-14 18:38:46

When do we stop being a mother then? confused

We all enjoy the day here. I make sure the mother of my grandkids is spoiled too. (She is a better mother than I was)

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 28-Mar-14 18:41:46

If my little GS turns up with a pansy in a little decorated pot which has been done in church, like last year, that will do me fine. smile