Gransnet forums

AIBU

To expect an understanding of basic maths in shops?

(28 Posts)
Aka Tue 22-Apr-14 14:05:45

Visited out local M&S food today. Special offers £10 for three instead of £4 each. Checking my bill on way out of shop noticed I'd been charged full price. After a lot of fuss managed to get someone to, reluctantly, agree to a refund.

That'll be £3.25 we owe you he said confused fiddling with till
No, you owe me £2.....more fiddling with till
That'll be £2.25 we owe you then hmm still fiddling with till
No, £4x3=£12. So if it's 3 for £10 that's £12-£10=£2

So we owe you £3.25 then? shock

I give up and take the £3.25 because factoring in my time yes, they do owe me!! wink

FlicketyB Thu 24-Apr-14 09:50:40

Don't children play shopping games with plastic money? My DGD certainly does. I am always visiting her café and buy cups of tea, beans on toast, cakes and whatever else is on the menu. She has all the makings of a good waitress, so is clearly heading for university!

annodomini Thu 24-Apr-14 09:56:13

When I was at school, we had arithmetic included in maths lessons throughout secondary school. When we sat our 'Highers' we took a separate arithmetic exam which included 'bills' - setting out a bill for x lbs items @ 2/2d per lb; or 12 yards @ £2.2/5 per yard. Things like how much wallpaper would it take to paper a room with certain dimensions? How much easier that would have been with decimal currency and a calculator! But the discipline has stood me in good stead.