Gransnet forums

AIBU

Am I a prude ?

(59 Posts)
HMHNanna Thu 01-May-14 13:17:42

I play on-line Scrabble. If I request a random game and the player has put a rude word I don't play. Also if I am in the middle of a game and could play a rude word (which are totally acceptable) I don't play it , in case I offend someone. I lose rather than play a rude word! Any advice please.

HMHNanna Thu 01-May-14 19:12:47

I like your honesty too thatbags[ smile]

HMHNanna Thu 01-May-14 19:14:47

Where am I going wrong with my smiley things?

thatbags Thu 01-May-14 19:19:21

A superfluous space got in between the word smile and the square bracket.

HMHNanna Thu 01-May-14 19:33:17

Thank you. I will try and get used to this.

Aka Thu 01-May-14 19:54:01

Bags I was trying to be amusing light hearted. Thank you HMH for your appreciation of my attempt.

thatbags Thu 01-May-14 19:57:07

You asked a question. I answered it. Also light-heartedly.

I think we've already agreed how easy it is for words in print to be misinterpreted. Both ways.

Aka Thu 01-May-14 19:59:03

Ain't it just!

Aka Thu 01-May-14 19:59:18

PS smile

Aka Thu 01-May-14 20:00:46

PPS I didn't take offence just thought you'd missed the intended humour and taken me seriously.

petallus Thu 01-May-14 20:54:49

You could use words like 'tit' and 'bum' and 'sod' which are both rude and not rude and then plead innocence.

rosesarered Thu 01-May-14 21:05:07

Don't forget to mind your pees and queues!

Ariadne Thu 01-May-14 21:54:00

Think I have told this story before, but my rather innocent mother was intrigued by words new to her. She never managed to use them appropriately, however. She discovered the word "w****r" and was rather taken with it as a derogatory term, using it freely. She was about 68 at the time.

In the end, I had to say something, and gently asked her not to use it. "But what does it actually mean then," she said.

Ever tried explaining masturbation to your mother??

Flowerofthewest Thu 01-May-14 21:56:17

HMHNanna She did grin

Flowerofthewest Thu 01-May-14 21:57:23

Ariadne I am so glad I wasn't playing scrabble the night my mother used the word.

JessM Thu 01-May-14 22:03:27

My mother was a marriage guidance counsellor and a sex therapist, but not what you would call street wise. I once told her about a troublesome pupil who had gone on an army interview and in front of all the other applicants the sergeant had announced "We don't want this one, he's a wanker!"
My mother's response? "How did he know?* grin

Nelliemoser Thu 01-May-14 22:48:14

I would not worry if it was the only word I could make, as Thatbags says with rude words, it's the context and the intent that makes words offensive.

numberplease Fri 02-May-14 00:04:55

I remember several years ago now that someone used the word wanker on Countdown, in Richard Whitely`s day, and it was allowed.

thatbags Fri 02-May-14 07:35:57

When someone is called a wanker it means they are a useless person, or stupid, or both. Sexual innuendo is often used in insults and name-calling.
It is not meant to be interpreted literally, only rudely. It's used for effect. So ariadne's mother probably understood it quite well without knowing its derivation.

feetlebaum Fri 02-May-14 08:37:03

In the US comedy show Married with Children, Al Bundy's useless wife was
Peggy Wanker Bundy, from Wanker County (played by Katey Sagal).

I have a feeling there was at least one Brit among the writers!

HMHNanna Fri 02-May-14 12:12:08

Thanks everyone for all your comments, from now on I will see some words differently.

papaoscar Fri 02-May-14 21:02:09

Thanks, FB, 'Married with Children' with the Bundys was a US comedy that I really enjoyed. I shall look it up on YouTube and hope to snatch a few moments if pleasure from many years ago. Another US favourite had Mary Tyler-Moore and an older English actress in it, was it 'Bewitched'? Then of course there was the Lucy Show, and Sergeant Bilko + Private Doberman, and the Dukes of Hazard, with the short fat Mayor in the white suit and big hat. What memories!

JessM Fri 02-May-14 21:59:46

Whereas my mother only understood the literal meaning bags grin

thatbags Fri 02-May-14 22:17:18

grin

Grandissimo Mon 05-May-14 11:17:55

I play Scrabble on line with my son in Australia. I wouldn't like to shock him! We're quite circumspect!

mrsmopp Mon 05-May-14 13:58:44

Tell me which online scrabble you use.
Is it an app for an iPad or a website?
Is it free?