Gransnet forums

AIBU

Am I a prude ?

(58 Posts)
HMHNanna Thu 01-May-14 13:17:42

I play on-line Scrabble. If I request a random game and the player has put a rude word I don't play. Also if I am in the middle of a game and could play a rude word (which are totally acceptable) I don't play it , in case I offend someone. I lose rather than play a rude word! Any advice please.

glammanana Thu 01-May-14 13:36:53

Whilst I do not play on line games as you do HMHNanna I would keep to my own standards and play as you do now,I do believe smutiness leads on to more smutiness so I would rather loose a game than carry on with rude words.

HMHNanna Thu 01-May-14 13:48:04

Thanks glammanana. I play to win, but cannot bring myself to play rude words.

Aka Thu 01-May-14 15:39:46

Spec savers moment there..did a double take as I thought it said HRHNanna though we had out first Royal GNetter hmm

HMHNanna Thu 01-May-14 15:42:19

No Aka HMH are the initials of my three grandchildren. Sorry to disappoint you.

Boots Thu 01-May-14 15:43:47

I also play on line scrabble. No idea who the people are or their age and sex. I try not to use rude words, but occasionally do use a word that is a bit doubtful, as do some of them. I have not used or seen used any really bad words.

HMHNanna Thu 01-May-14 15:54:02

Some of the people on-line post a photograph but I prefer not to. However I have "met" some really interesting people on Scrabble chat. I am playing with a lady in the USA at the moment who was caught up in the tornados and storms earlier this week. Also I am playing with a lady who is a scientist in Antarctica , and a young man in China who is studying to be a lawyer. There are many people who are trying to improve their English too.

Aka Thu 01-May-14 15:56:08

I don't play scrabble online but do indulge in the board game occasionally. Being a very competitive person quite keen to win I will use any word found the the Oxford Dictionary.

thatbags Thu 01-May-14 16:07:06

If a word is not directed rudely at someone, it's not rude. Rudeness is defined by how things are said, not what is said. One can be disgustingly rude using only 'polite' words. If a word exists it's suitable for use in a game. Whether one would use the word elsewhere is another matter.

thatbags Thu 01-May-14 16:10:50

So, yes, I'd say your choice is prudish. However, it's your choice. I expect your opponents shrug and move on.

thatbags Thu 01-May-14 16:13:21

You did ask! wink

HMHNanna Thu 01-May-14 16:19:17

Thanks that bags I have just done YouGov survey which asked me what had made me laugh today. Your comment " Whether one would use the word elsewhere is another matter" really made me laugh.

AAAHappyMan Thu 01-May-14 16:21:20

Professor C. E. M. Joad of The Brains Trust was renown for opened his answers thus: "It all depends on what you mean by…"
It all depends on what YOU mean by a rude word.
Some consider many Anglo-Saxon, rather than the equivalent Norman-French, Latinate or Hellenic, words to be rude per se. Others rejoice in their use - D H Lawrence for example. It was, after all, the chief prosecutor, Mervyn Griffith-Jones,who during the trial of THAT publication asked if it were the kind of book "... you would wish your wife or servants to read".
The book was found NOT guilty!

Aka Thu 01-May-14 16:25:12

Bags unless HMM chooses to say something like 'you'll never guess what I was tempted to use my K,C and U for, but restrained myself' how will opponents even know?

thatbags Thu 01-May-14 16:35:11

HMH smile

thatbags Thu 01-May-14 16:38:04

aka, does it matter if the opponent knows why, or even if, one has withdrawn from the game? They'll cotton on eventually, one assumes! It might matter if one were playing a friend, but many online opponents in games like Scrabble are just an unknown number.

thatbags Thu 01-May-14 16:38:41

I should say unknown numbers

thatbags Thu 01-May-14 16:39:06

Well... one recognises the numerals of course, but....

HMHNanna Thu 01-May-14 16:43:30

I think that the occasional rude word might be appropriate then if the book was found NOT guilty!

HMHNanna Thu 01-May-14 16:49:29

Aka your comments have also made me laugh, so I will try to use my K's , C's and U's where appropriate.

Mishap Thu 01-May-14 18:28:12

I wouldn't have a problem with it. We play a version of Rude Scrabble with double points or a rude word, triple for a French word and quadruple for a rude French word! It's just a bit of fun.

HMHNanna Thu 01-May-14 18:55:03

Ah yes Mishap but that is with people that you know. I don't know any of the people that I play with on-line , and say that I am old fashioned! I probably am.

Flowerofthewest Thu 01-May-14 18:55:50

My, somewhat, naive mother a few years ago was playing scrabble with my father and some friends. She put down the word W..k.r - her friends were horrified, my father said 'You can't use that word' she replied that W.....r was a word and that she was going to use it. She really did not know what it meant.

HMHNanna Thu 01-May-14 19:00:51

Flower of the west any Scrabble player knows that a W..k.r is a winker and not an offensive word at all. ( but she might have put something different).

thatbags Thu 01-May-14 19:06:10

HMH, I like your sense of humour smile