Gransnet forums

AIBU

Am I a prude ?

(59 Posts)
HMHNanna Thu 01-May-14 13:17:42

I play on-line Scrabble. If I request a random game and the player has put a rude word I don't play. Also if I am in the middle of a game and could play a rude word (which are totally acceptable) I don't play it , in case I offend someone. I lose rather than play a rude word! Any advice please.

apricot Mon 05-May-14 18:56:58

Ma's out, Pa's out, let's talk rude!
Pee,po, belly, bum, drawers!
So goes the old song. Acceptance of obscene words and swearing has changed hugely since we were young so yes, you're a prude if they offend you.

Elegran Mon 05-May-14 19:37:04

It is the young who are not offended by certain words, while older people still are.

Then there are things that offend the young which do not offend the old. Does that mean the young are prudes about those things?

Or is it just that different people have different areas of prudery?

Ana Mon 05-May-14 20:09:05

Older people tend to be prudish about words with sexual connotations. I think the young are quite blasé about those, but can get very offended by racist or sexist words/remarks (although I realise that isn't being 'prudish').

I suppose it's just a sign of changing times...

Elegran Mon 05-May-14 20:16:39

I am not sure that older people are really being prudish about sexual terms. They are offended by swearwords more than young people, and a lot of sex words are (or have been in their lifetime) used to swear or deliberately insult, much the same as the racial words which are taboo now are used. Those same racial words don't have the same shock effect on older people, who have heard them in the past used without intent to insult.

I don't consider myself a prude. I will discuss sexual matters. But I do not like to hear the words for sex and for sexual body parts used as expletives and "attack" words.

annodomini Mon 05-May-14 20:48:07

I have a feeling that, while my sons sometimes use swear words in my presence, they would be quite shocked if I came out with them in their presence!

HMHNanna Sat 10-May-14 13:48:29

mrsmopp I got the Scrabble game from play store and play it on my iPad

Aka Sat 10-May-14 14:03:42

Apart from the odd expletive when Mr Aka is being more than usually obstreperous the only place I have sworn is on GN, once I think. I do have to say i was provoked. Then I was told off in no uncertain terms by one of the self appointed forum police!

The other exception was once when I dropped a large frozen chicken onto my bare foot and broke my big toe ¥#%!?

Like Anno my children and friends would be extremely shocked if I swore in their presence, and I don't think I've ever heard them swear in my presence either. Having said that I'm not especially shocked by swearing and can even appreciate it has it's place, occasionally.

DebnCreme Sat 10-May-14 14:47:56

I have been playing online Scrabble with one friend for several years now and we use all sorts of words but it took some time before we agreed to relax our choice of words. On one never to be forgotten occasion we almost seemed to be following a theme. I would not do this with anyone else and amazingly we have never met.