Gransnet forums

AIBU

Fashion???

(89 Posts)
GrumpyOldMan Sun 04-May-14 12:40:24

My better half brought to my attention a bunch of photos of celebrities??? at different functions.
She tended to agree with me that most of the dresses were not very appropriate / flattering or the correct colour for these people.
For instance a number of specimens were wearing mini skirts when their legs should have been hidden by long skirts ( chicken legs or even pencil legs). and those bubble hems are just ridiculous.
Anyone else agree that women should wear long skirts unless they have a very fine pair of pins.
Fashion just seems to be getting a lot of money for rubbish!

ninathenana Mon 05-May-14 11:30:09

Deedaa I agree with you about mirrors ! DH and I often comment to each other that he or she didn't look in the mirror before they left the house. Or that he or she got dressed in the dark when they are wearing bright or clashing patterns/colours.

The general idea of GOM's OP is right IMHO but I don't think it's fair to imply that it's just females at fault in this regard.

Mishap Mon 05-May-14 12:32:03

Putting aside the legs issue, I do think that most of the "fashion" items that slebs wear and that litter the Sunday papers are just plain ridiculous, impractical, inelegant over-priced nonsense for people with more money than brain cells. I am thankful that no-one I know would give any of it a second glance.

Silverfish Mon 05-May-14 21:41:49

To be honest some of todays youngsters should take a leaf out of the celebs books. I always thought that ordinary people copied their fave actors/singers etc but looking around the shopping centre today I have seen so many young girls in grey tracksuit bottoms and grey tops that I am thinking its the new fashion. The only thing though is that none of them fit properly, they are either showing builders bums as they bend over their kids buggies or the joggers are hanging below a huge belly. The tops are strained over huge waddling breasts bouncing around as they walk. If these youngsters would only look in the mirror they would see how gross they look. I am over weight but I take care to wear something that doesn't look so gross. I only wear joggers around the house. Being big does not mean you need look awful but you need to take care with what you wear. I see youngsters wearing onesies to the shops or pyjama bottoms, where is their self respect. So I hope they do copy the celebs because Ive never seen a celeb looking quite so awful as my city centre today.

Deedaa Mon 05-May-14 21:43:12

I'm beginning to wonder if fashion even exists any more. So many of the magazines seem to show stars "rocking" the latest look - which generally appears to be a rag bag combination of whatever clothes were lying on the bedroom floor. The fashion editor will then have the nerve to add " This shouldn't work, but on her it does!" Actually NO it doesn't!!!

Ana Mon 05-May-14 21:46:16

Agree about the extremely unattractive 'builder's bum' effect when bending over children's buggies etc., Silverfish! hmm

Silverfish Mon 05-May-14 21:57:09

I think the problem comes from our being so politically correct today. You cant tell someone they look awful, although the press give the celebs a hard time but it is a well known fact that any publicity is good publicity. Look at a well known singer and her 'meat' dress for instance.simply attention seeking.
The ordinary people on the street would have been told by their friends or family that they looked awful, a few years ago, but nowadays no one says anything. My 82 year old mother tells me now if I look less than acceptable when I go out, but the youngsters just don't seem to care.
I watched a girl with a see through skirt and no underwear the other day and I could not believe it (must have been cold).

shysal Tue 06-May-14 08:09:01

I wonder what GOM would have made of that, Silverfish, perhaps it would have needed a second look!
I am a fan of jogging bottoms for comfort, but for outside the home I wear only my well fitting Next ones, which they don't make any more. I read that large numbers of women have copied the Duchesse of Cambridge's style, so there wil be some smartly clad ones around!

thatbags Tue 06-May-14 08:28:39

I think elegance is out of fashion.

tiggypiro Tue 06-May-14 08:36:36

Can anyone explain to me how young men hold up those trousers that hang well below the crotch ? They don't seem to possess hips to hang them on either. Do they use braces? Am I the only one who wants to 'accidently on purpose' step on the hem of the trousers (they always seem to be trailing in the muck) just to see what happens?

MiceElf Tue 06-May-14 09:03:45

I understand that it's a 'fashion / street statement' that comes from the States where prisoners are deprived of their belts.

I did once see a cool dude, both skinny and spotty, examining his phone and when the tube arrived he stood up and the trousers descended to his knees. It cheered up a lot of commuters that evening.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 06-May-14 09:10:22

The original post is obviously narrow minded twaddle.

Grumpyoldman - you can be old without age having the effect of loss of brain power.

Elegance will never be out of fashion. Time and a place.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 06-May-14 09:12:54

"I did once see a cool dude, both skinny and spotty, examining his phone and when the tube arrived he stood up and the trousers descended to his knees. It cheered up a lot of commuters that evening."

Which bit of "skinny" "spotty" or "examining his phone" made you feel so unkindly towards him?

MiceElf Tue 06-May-14 09:44:39

It was a description, dear, just like the OP's. No unkindness, just amusement smile

rosesarered Tue 06-May-14 10:25:29

If they wear such daft jeans then they deserve to have them descend to their knees.Grey track suits sounds pretty awful as well,but as a lot of young women are very overweight now, perhaps these are their comfy everyday clothes.Going out in onesies or pyjamas seem to be a growing trend in some cities, although I have never seen it where I live.
I dress casually a lot of the time, but there is a limit.
Young men don't seem to be as weighty as the girls do they? if they were, it may keep their jeans up naturally. grin

HollyDaze Tue 06-May-14 19:14:29

I totally agree with silverfish and rosesarered - onesies should be banned for use outside the home; next it'll be popping out in pyjamas, nighties, dressing gowns - how lazy do you have to be think that's okay!

Ana Tue 06-May-14 19:54:47

Some do go shopping in pyjamas, HollyDaze! One branch of Tesco tried to ban it, but I don't know how successful it was.

janeainsworth Tue 06-May-14 20:13:02

I have to confess I frequently go out into the garden in my dressing gown to hang out the washing, Holly blush

rosequartz Tue 06-May-14 20:18:26

I have been known to do that janeainsworth, but have not yet gone to Tesco in my pjs. I understand a certain Tesco not that far from here is frequented by persons in pjs who pop in on their way from dropping their children at school. It brings a whole new concept to 'dressing to impress on the school run'.

Silverfish Tue 06-May-14 21:37:58

Holly, I too go out to hang washing in my dressing gown (hang it on the line I mean), but my garden is surrounded by leylandiis which are over 8ft high so no one sees. I often see young girls sitting on the garden walls chatting to neighbours and having a coffee and they are all in their dressing gowns. it is comfortable but what kind of message is it giving to the kids about being smart etc. grumpy old man needs to go for a walk locally and he may see girls in their onsies/dressing gowns etc that will maybe give him something else to grump about.

Silverfish Tue 06-May-14 21:55:21

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

HollyDaze Tue 06-May-14 21:56:10

Hmm, okay, we'll make it our personal property - as I have also been known to go into the garden or, dare I admit it, to the bottom of the drive in my dressing gown.

But definitely no shopping and collecting the children from school in onesies or night attire! grin

Silverfish Tue 06-May-14 22:09:45

must admit Ive gone shopping in leggings that I once wore for bed, I had been so tired I just dropped into bed wearing my clothes. Mind the leggings were washed (not ironed as im allergic to ironing).lol

rosequartz Tue 06-May-14 22:22:42

Oh dear, Silverfish, my DH is an old man who wears polo shirts (clean and pressed, no dribbly egg)!
Perhaps developing a slight tum, known to be grumpy sometimes, but not in the habit of criticising how other people dress.

GrumpyOldMan Tue 06-May-14 22:32:23

I am afraid that a lot of posters have missed my points in my original post.
First I was quite merrilly doing something else when my better half thrust her laptop under my nose and complained about the slobs (as you call them).
Second my main point is that these specimens (as in on a microscope stage) have starved themselves to an unhealthy extent and look awful in the short skirts. Without botox and breast enlargement and butt enlargement etc they probably would not look so good.
In our day women had legs they could be proud of and a man would look at twice (or more times). even in min skirts ladies had tremendous legs that they could show off - probably makes me sexist to say so but hey I am a male).
The women in the long dresses at least hide their legs and give the appearance of elegance.

Ooops Must go my better half wants me to look a a "ridiculous photo of a slob that is showing her knickers. I suppose at least she has knickers on". Notice the quotes!

GOM

Ana Tue 06-May-14 22:34:17

What a fun life you two seem to lead, GOM! grin