Gransnet forums

AIBU

Worse that shop lifting

(48 Posts)
Aspen Sat 10-May-14 15:47:37

I have just returned from shopping in Boots where I watched a customer apply mascara then return the item to the shelf before moving on to try out other products. I eventually found an assistant to report it to and was pathetically told " lots of people do that, there is nothing we can do about it". The shop is full of cctv cameras does anybody look at these. I will only buy such products in future if they are sealed.

Greenfinch Sat 10-May-14 22:50:59

Talking of unwashed hands, I always remember many years ago when going to Weight Watchers being told not to be tempted by the peanuts and nibbles at the bar. "Think urine " we were told. Ugh !

PRINTMISS Sun 11-May-14 09:37:51

Recently I chose a top and trousers from Sainsbury's and realised I did not have a basket - I had these over my arm, walked past the person I regard as 'security (behind a console, with a view of the store), and out through the door to get a basket - with absolutely nothing being said, and no warning 'beep'. I returned quickly with a basket, as I needed to shop further, and mentioned to the 'guard' my actions. "Oh!, he said that happens all the time" Really? Am I paying for other people to steal clothes - because obviously the cost of items is reflected on the amount of profit/loss the store makes.

Nelliemoser Sun 11-May-14 09:52:40

I can see why it's unpleasant but if you go anywhere outside the home there will be surfaces others have touched and breathed on. Its what we have immune systems for.
If you are not careful you could get so that you do not eat out or go out at all.

Food storage at the wrong temperatures is much more of a risk.
I feel there is a danger of being becoming obsessive about germs, on such things.

yorke Sun 11-May-14 10:25:46

My daughter went into M&S & to stop her daughter from whining gave her a pear to hold, at 2years old! Got to cash desk & Lola had eaten it, as a 2 year old would. Cashier not pleased as fruit had to be weighed. Only core left!

janeainsworth Sun 11-May-14 10:29:32

Well said Nellie. Plenty of germs inside the home too, especially if you have grandchildren visiting who've been to nursery! grin

rosequartz Sun 11-May-14 10:38:21

Plenty of germs everywhere! The one thing that I take note of from this thread is buying cosmetics where someone may have tried them (yuck) who had a cold sore or conjunctivitis.

inishowen Sun 11-May-14 11:06:13

I had a friend who was very naughty as a teenager. She would pick up a lipstick, stick her nail in it, then go to the counter and ask for a discount. She always got it too. I recently watched a man in Tesco buy some hot food at the counter. He ate it all then slipped the wrapper into his babies buggy. I also watched a man in a hotel recently. It was breakfast time and he blatantly filled plastic containers with breakfast food, not forgetting a huge wodge of napkins. He placed the containers in a carrier bag, and went off to get himself a huge breakfast. i think the staff saw, as one of them came over and tried to look in the bag while she wiped his table. People are unbelievably cheeky these days.

rosequartz Sun 11-May-14 11:29:39

I worked with someone who used to buy a smart outfit, wear it for a wedding or whatever, then re-attach the labels and take it back for a refund saying it didn't fit when she tried it at home.

mag2949 Sun 11-May-14 11:48:34

Getting back to " Boots".....I detest the very mention of that name.Two years ago I bought a box of multivitamins,calmly left the store only to be followed by a store detective and a female cop,who said I was acting suspiciously and demanded to search my shopping bag.Of course all they found was the vitamins but the humiliation and embarrassment of being stopped in a crowded shopping mall on a Saturday afternoon almost destroyed me.I have never been in any Boots store since as and even walking past I still get flashbacks of what started off as a beautiful day and ended up a complete nightmare!

janeainsworth Sun 11-May-14 13:28:04

Did you complain Mag?

granjura Sun 11-May-14 13:59:14

Agree Nellie and Jane- this obsession with cleanliness and germs nowadays just goes too far .... just use common sense.

mag2949 Sun 11-May-14 14:05:10

Yes I rang a friend and she persuaded me to seek legal advice.My solicitor was very keen to persue it.I was interviewed by a third party ( namely a CID ) then the female cop was interviewed and she denied being arrogant and aggressive towards me.It was such a long drawn out process that I couldn't take any more and told my solicitor I had to withdraw my case.She was adamant that I continue but I just couldn't.

janeainsworth Sun 11-May-14 14:21:58

Understandable Mag sad

oznan Sun 11-May-14 14:23:13

I've read all your comments and decided to give up shopping!

HildaW Sun 11-May-14 14:53:17

Jolly good idea oznan!

HildaW Sun 11-May-14 14:54:29

Mind you.....on t'internet you can't get done for shoplifting! grin

granjura Sun 11-May-14 14:57:20

rosequartz- not just a modern thing. One of my neighbours, who really was NOT short of a penny or more- used to do te same in the 70s. Also the person who, when she wanted to re-decorate her dining-room, put the plug in the bath (above dining-room) and turned taps on then went shopping in town. Of course the whole bathroom collapsed through the ceiling, and she got everything replaced and decorated by insurance ... She couldn't understand why I felt it was really wrong !!!

Nonu Sun 11-May-14 15:25:12

GRANJURA, only trouble with that scam, is that the premiums go up !
So in the long run might be better to just fork out the cash to have the place redecorated !

annsixty Sun 11-May-14 15:32:35

But everyone else's premiums go up as well as in inflated motoring claims.

Nonu Sun 11-May-14 15:43:54

So very true ANN !

:-)

Aspen Sun 11-May-14 16:04:03

My main concern was that it was mascara that was being used. No way should a tester be supplied as infections in the eyes are no joke but what really made me annoyed was the off hand way the assistant dismissed it. The monitor for the cameras should be near the tills then the assistants and the people queuing could see what is going on.

granjura Sun 11-May-14 16:15:19

Exactly what I said to her- because of people like you, MY premiums go up. Must say I was furious- she laughed and said I was the stupid one for not making use of my insurance, grrrrrrrr. As said, the worse thing was that her husband was a vet with several very successful practices, so finance was not a problem.