Gransnet forums

AIBU

Rolf Harris

(434 Posts)
NanKate Thu 15-May-14 09:58:25

As the trial continues I notice that every photo I see of Rolf going into court his wife is grinning widely and Rolf appears to be supported physically by his family.

Whatever the truth is I wish his wife didn't look as if they were going to a party. Also Rolf has always been quite sprightly, I wonder if his new demeanour is being put on.

What do you think ?

Iam64 Wed 09-Jul-14 19:32:37

I agree we need to help our children understand the risks in life. It can be done without scaring them, or 'taking away their innocence' as some still say.
The greater risks to children are from loved ones, friends of the family and trusted adults in the community/school. The much loved head teacher at our children's primary school was suspended due to abuse allegations, dating back to before his appointment at our school. Unfortunately, many parents told their children that lies were the cause of his suspension. No children from that school came forward for 5several years, during which time, he'd continued to abuse.

sunseeker Wed 09-Jul-14 19:06:00

Children need to be educated as to when and where it is right or wrong for someone touch them and if in doubt to call for help.

When my brothers children were very small he taught them that if someone tried to touch them or ask them to go with them they were to shout as loud as possible "I need a grown up"

Iam64 Wed 09-Jul-14 18:51:28

I can sympathise a bit with your feelings rose, but don't want a society where we castrate people. Better assessments of young, potential sex offenders, better education for all of us about this horrible topic, better treatment facilities. And life imprisonment for those assessed to pose a continuing, high, risk.

whenim64 Wed 09-Jul-14 11:26:23

Castration doesn't stop them offending, nor does chemical castration on its own, unless it's accompanied by sex offender treatment which re-educates the sex offender, and even then it's not guaranteed to work for all. But, we don't imprison sex offenders for the whole of their natural lives.

rosequartz Wed 09-Jul-14 10:49:58

Sorry, but reading petallus's last post and having heard such dreadful things when I was working, I think some of them need castrating. There, I've said it. Now wait for the politically correct, human rights outrage.

Aka Wed 09-Jul-14 09:45:07

Rose it was about bogus solicitors.

petallus Wed 09-Jul-14 03:39:25

papaoscar take comfort that the beast is under lock and key by all means. What about the many other beasts who are still out there though?

Last week I saw a picture of an eight year old girl who had been gang raped.

And let's not even get into Westminster!

annodomini Tue 08-Jul-14 22:45:15

never per se respected U.K. law, particularly as it is often at variance to the other European countries' laws. As a matter of fact, Ivan, there is no such thing as UK law. Scotland has always had its own legal system, quite separate from the rest of the UK.

Ana Tue 08-Jul-14 22:03:01

As I said, when, time will tell. Bet it comes to pass, though...

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 08-Jul-14 21:56:42

I think he'll end up in an open prison, giving art lessons to other prisoners.

He will come out unscathed.

whenim64 Tue 08-Jul-14 21:53:53

Ana given that the sentence plan is done between 8 and 16 weeks after sentence, I can only assume that a clairvoyant has predicted what is going to happen to Rolf Harris! Not even the prison governor will know at the moment! grin

Ana Tue 08-Jul-14 21:36:48

It does seem to be on the cards, though. There is even speculation that he won't have to undertake any treatment programme. Time will tell.

whenim64 Tue 08-Jul-14 21:18:06

Talk of an open prison is pure speculation.

papaoscar Tue 08-Jul-14 20:22:12

I wonder, RQ, whether or not his supporters will continue to follow him? I agree, his soaring ego will see him through, but I take comfort that the beast is under lock and key.

rosequartz Tue 08-Jul-14 20:13:54

Trouble is I don't think he will, papa. There was talk of an open prison and giving art lessons to other prisoners! That will feed his ego even more.

Let's hope, when/if he comes out there will be other charges awaiting him here or over in Australia.

papaoscar Tue 08-Jul-14 20:10:18

May Harris suffer for all the misery he has caused.

rosequartz Tue 08-Jul-14 20:06:22

No - was it interesting?

Aka Tue 08-Jul-14 20:01:55

Ana that inner pedant is on the loose again grin

Did anyone see The One Show tonight?

MiniMouse Tue 08-Jul-14 19:45:55

hmm confused

Ana Tue 08-Jul-14 19:36:37

I know from experience that solicitors are notoriously bad spellers...

Aka Tue 08-Jul-14 19:33:59

Yes, well......

rosequartz Tue 08-Jul-14 19:30:42

Is this the first time you have posted on here, Ivan? I don't recognise the name but have you perhaps posted under a different name? Strange post from a solicitor who thinks the 'law is an ass'.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 08-Jul-14 19:01:20

That is a different slant on things.

I didn't know sexual abuse of children could be excused by saying someone is autistic.

If RH is autistic, that will certainly be picked up by psychologists in prison. But, to be honest, I think they would have noticed that by now.

GillT57 Tue 08-Jul-14 18:57:49

odd posting Ivan, commenting on something than stating that you know nothing about it, dont have tv, dont read newspapers...is this some kind of criticism of those of us that do, or am I reading this wrong?

Aka Tue 08-Jul-14 18:50:35

Really? hmm