Gransnet forums

AIBU

Rolf Harris

(434 Posts)
NanKate Thu 15-May-14 09:58:25

As the trial continues I notice that every photo I see of Rolf going into court his wife is grinning widely and Rolf appears to be supported physically by his family.

Whatever the truth is I wish his wife didn't look as if they were going to a party. Also Rolf has always been quite sprightly, I wonder if his new demeanour is being put on.

What do you think ?

Elegran Fri 25-Jul-14 23:41:18

Age wouldn't stop him reoffending. The publicity that the case has had should keep any children or young girls away from him, but there are a few celebrity-mad people out there who could be daft or gullible enough to believe that he was not guilty. He could die before he is released, but he looked healthy enough in the photographs to survive a few more years.

Rowantree Fri 25-Jul-14 23:23:18

Well, arguably he won't get out - I suspect he will die in prison.

Of course he wouldn't be allowed any contact with children. He will need to be monitored closely, but in any case he's probably too elderly to offend again.

merlotgran Fri 25-Jul-14 23:11:59

I wouldn't waste any time or money training or rehabilitating somebody like RH. He's as old as the hills for a start and if and when he gets out is anybody going to let him within inches of a child or young girl?

Rowantree Fri 25-Jul-14 22:41:42

No indeed, Nonu and papa, even RH and his fellow cons have human rights, however much that sticks in your gall. We aren't yet so uncivilised, as are some countries, to strip them of everything. And that's how it should be. Presumably at some stage in the future many of them will be released into society and therefore need to be rehabilitated. With rights come responsibility - but whether prison teaches that, I'm not at all certain. I just don't think it's right to deny any convict basic human rights, whatever they might have done.

Nonu Fri 25-Jul-14 19:43:26

On reflection Papa I will re-word that,^ a manly man ^

Like Himself

tbgrin!

Ana Fri 25-Jul-14 19:29:12

hmm...

Nonu Fri 25-Jul-14 19:26:50

Oooer, Papa I do love a forceful man !!

tbgrin

papaoscar Fri 25-Jul-14 19:18:02

Human rights. I'd give 'em human rights, indeed!

Nonu Fri 25-Jul-14 19:13:11

Probably got nice A/C, can"t have the prisoners human rights abused eh !!

tbgrin

papaoscar Fri 25-Jul-14 18:22:56

Hope it's nice and hot in the nick for Rolf and his mates.

busybee08 Mon 14-Jul-14 16:37:16

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

busybee08 Mon 14-Jul-14 16:08:05

rosequartz

just read your comment posted Thursday...
I have to much empathy...

busybee08 Mon 14-Jul-14 16:02:46

Well RH got what he deserved....

Not enough in my eyes,

I have heard this lunchtime a victim of child abuse as just been imprisoned for speaking out about the abuse she suffered in beechwood childrens home..

This my friends is what is going on to-day....

We should all be trying to help these that have suffered in care home or any abuse where ever it took place....

Or have we all become....there by the grace of ..GOD ...go I.....

I certianly know I hav'nt......

my eyes have been opened up as of late, to what really as been going on
I'm sorry victims and survivers I hope you get your apologies off these monsters. which you rightly deserve.......

God bless you all.....

rosequartz Thu 10-Jul-14 10:22:31

Some people have empathy, others do not.

What us wrong with people who troll victims? They are sick themselves. Hopefully Vanessa Feltz is a woman feisty enough and strong enough to deal emotionally with both the molester and the trolls, unlike some of the other victims brave enough to speak up.

Ana Thu 10-Jul-14 10:10:42

You can't mean me then - I'm not retired.
As for 'snarky comments', perhaps you could elaborate, MiceElf.

MiceElf Thu 10-Jul-14 09:59:53

I'm just idly wondering what the occupation was of those who make snarky comments on social networking sites after retirement.

whenim64 Thu 10-Jul-14 09:47:28

No point requesting castration - it's not relevant or effective for sex offenders. It's the brain that's the problem.

I personally don't suffer from depression, thankfully. My sense of compassion is heightened by observing distress in others after all those years working in child protection.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 10-Jul-14 09:23:27

Maybe being a social worker makes you prey to depression in later life when you are no longer directly involved with the work.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 10-Jul-14 09:21:57

What if a paedophile requests castration? Would he get it?

Seems a sensible solution to me. (Not enforced, of course). The desire for all such practices would go.

whenim64 Wed 09-Jul-14 21:33:03

I thought the cruel jibes at Vanessa Feltz were uncalled for. No matter what people think of her, it must have taken courage to disclose what happened to her. She didn't disclose to the media first - she spoke to police, who she says directed her to remain silent until the case had been heard.

Ana Wed 09-Jul-14 20:58:49

No point weeping. I don't understand that.

Deedaa Wed 09-Jul-14 20:51:13

DD and I were talking about the abuse Vanessa Feltz has suffered over her claim to have been assaulted by Rolf Harris and I began to wonder - when did sexual abuse of children become more acceptable tthan sexual abuse of plumpish adult women?

rosequartz Wed 09-Jul-14 20:42:02

Might deter others from offending if the sentences were more severe.

whenim64 Wed 09-Jul-14 20:35:05

I know what you mean rosequartz. So many people I can remember vividly because of what they suffered, or what others did to harm children. I can weep now, remembering conversations I've had, not comprehending how one human being can treat another like that. It's so tempting to lock these abusers up and pretend we can forget they exist...........

rosequartz Wed 09-Jul-14 20:25:00

I know, it was a gut reaction from reading Petallus's post, and from some of the absolutely horrific cases I knew about which I still cannot forget.