Gransnet forums

AIBU

To think that Prince Charles is slow on the uptake

(45 Posts)
JessM Thu 22-May-14 20:55:05

With international relations between the UK and Russia in a delicate state, Prince Charles apparently likens Putin to Hitler while chatting to a Canadian during an official tour. This seems to reveal a complete disregard for the need to be diplomatic. Does this stem from arrogance or the fact that after all this time as a grown up prince he just does not understand that royals need to keep their mouths shut and stay out of politics. He seems to have inherited his fathers lack of tact. Is his mother tearing her hair out do we think? She who has always been the soul of discretion.

Eloethan Fri 23-May-14 10:11:22

I agree absolutely Anniebach - a total hypocrite.

Such a person cannot have "private conversations" with members of the public who owe no duty of confidentiality to him. He is an out and out twit like his father.

rosequartz Fri 23-May-14 10:33:04

But correct. Just not allowed to say it in public

Anniebach Fri 23-May-14 10:45:00

He is free to say what ever he chooses in private but when representing me on an official tour I have no wish for him to publicly insult another country

If he wishes to do so, stand down as heir to the throne and go into politics , those who agree with him can vote for him

rosequartz Fri 23-May-14 11:07:35

That is true, anniebach.

It must be difficult, however, never to express a view to anyone at all apart from one's wife over the breakfast table in case it is reported by someone. All she is likely to say is 'yes dear' I would imagine.

rosesarered Fri 23-May-14 11:14:48

Exactly roseq good posts. We all think what he said [or may have said]
Putin is a dangerous fool.Like Hitler.

rosequartz Fri 23-May-14 11:18:03

But controls the gas.

rosesarered Fri 23-May-14 11:32:06

He won't turn it off because of one reported remark by a member of the royal family though.He has his own agenda [Putin not PC] but still wants the world to think well of him[even thought we don't.]

thatbags Fri 23-May-14 11:47:02

We have gas if we frack it. We don't have to rely on Russian gas. Just saying.

Don't suppose Charles approves of fracking.

Anniebach Fri 23-May-14 11:53:43

rose quartz, I am quite sure the queen has more people than her husband to voice her opinions to, she just doesn't do so in public to a stranger . If she has ever refused to meet any head of state, PM or delegation from another country she has not made this public.

HollyDaze Fri 23-May-14 11:54:08

We have gas if we frack it. We don't have to rely on Russian gas. Just saying.

I do wish that there could be information about fracking that is presented from a neutral standpoint rather than from those with a vested interest either for or against.

rosesarered Fri 23-May-14 11:54:15

thatbags I did hear that Putin was overheard remarking to one of his aides that 'Prince Charles should frack off!' Maybe something was lost in translation though. grin

merlotgran Fri 23-May-14 11:56:02

I don't think he intended to publicly insult another country because it was a private conversation and none of it would have been reported if he'd been chatting about the weather!

It's not the first time he's been picked up on his opinions - 'Appalling old waxworks' springs to mind so it'll no doubt be a storm in a teacup. Putin will be advised to get over his hissy fit because an awful lot of people will be agreeing with Prince Charles.

Least said, Soonest mended.

Anniebach Fri 23-May-14 12:09:48

Then best he sticks to talks of the weather when in public Merlotgran,

sunseeker Fri 23-May-14 14:48:46

I don't know exactly what was said, just read the fall-out in the press. He must surely be aware that any comment he makes becomes fair game to the press - whilst he is entitled to his opinions he does need to be careful when and where expressing them.

JessM Fri 23-May-14 18:21:13

Soutra - wise sayings of PC? hmm I know he likes organic farming and it is nicer for the countryside and all that. (although it would be an expensive way to feed the masses) But apart from that? I'm afraid I think he is pretty dim and this week's example illustrates that.
His sister seems much brighter and far more sensible.

nightowl Fri 23-May-14 18:46:23

I don't think he's dim, nor do I think there's any evidence that Anne is particularly intelligent - savvy and down to earth maybe but not of a particularly enquiring mind. I'm not being nasty - I rather like her. I agree with you Soutra, I think Prince Charles is an interesting person and I find many of his opinions seem quite sensible. Of course he has to be careful when and where he expresses them and sometimes he gets it wrong. I'm still not sure this hasn't been blown out of all proportion.

Ana Fri 23-May-14 18:59:34

I am!

Ana Fri 23-May-14 19:00:24

(sure that it has, I mean...)

HollyDaze Fri 23-May-14 22:48:44

I'm still not sure this hasn't been blown out of all proportion

What are you suggesting - that the media have over-egged the pudding shock surely not wink