Gransnet forums

AIBU

to not understand inconsistency in pharmacies!

(40 Posts)
kittylester Sat 24-May-14 14:20:45

Ages ago, DH was prescribed diclofenac for the slight residual pain he has after his hip replacement. After the scare about diclofenac he stopped taking that and started taking ibuprofen instead.

Yesterday, I tried to buy ibuprofen at Sainsbury's and, like an idiot, I owned up to wanting them for DH and the other medication he takes (including BP tabs) and the pharmacist refused to sell them to me.

Today, I went to the Boots in our village to collect my BP tabs and I also asked for the biggest box of ibuprofen and was told 'Make sure you read the leaflet before you take any'. confused

I know the reasons for not selling them, and I know I should have lied in Sainsburys blush, but surely there should be some consistency confused

Ana Sat 24-May-14 19:48:48

rosequartz, I had that experience too, but in Boots! I just went in the next day and said I wanted it for my back - no problem...hmm

bikergran Sat 24-May-14 20:21:43

When I go for stuff for DH (cough medicine etc ) things that he has been having for yrs)I am now prepared...
Is this for yourself ---- yes!liar grin
are you on any medication --- no!!liar grin

Just have to make sure I don't go to my regular chemist where I get mine and DH perscriptions!

rosequartz Sat 24-May-14 20:59:50

Well, my GP has prescribed antibiotics for me which I have found are contra-indicated if I am on a certain medication - and the GP is well aware that the hospital has prescribed that medication for me. hmm

JessM Sat 24-May-14 21:09:09

Always best to ask the GP and the pharmacist to check? "is it OK for me to take these with xxx ?"

rosequartz Sat 24-May-14 21:20:14

Yes, I think I did, but everyone just said yes, fine. Until I read something recently on the internet I thought it was fine hmm.

But could not buy mild hydrocortisone cream!

yogagran Sat 24-May-14 21:49:21

I've been able to buy migraine relief nasal spray that is normally only available on prescription from here:

www.doctorfox.co.uk/

storynanny Sat 24-May-14 22:37:39

Kitty, diclofenac gel is amazing. Sold or prescribed as voltarol. It has greatly reduced the arthritic pain in my knees.
Ps Derby is where I went to school.

annodomini Sat 24-May-14 22:45:52

When I tried to buy a Canesten oral and cream duo for thrush, I was told they couldn't give it to the over 60s. I had no problem getting it in New Zealand.

JessM Sun 25-May-14 06:33:18

Because thrush is not "normal" in over 60s maybe and you should see your doctor?

PRINTMISS Sun 25-May-14 07:47:13

Is this all going on because people are 'minding their backs' in case something awful does happen, and they might be sued for selling something which causes a serious reaction, and the person using the substance was not warned of any such thing?

nightowl Sun 25-May-14 08:04:24

Am I the only one who is quite relieved that some pharmacists are actually checking whether some medications are appropriate/ safe/ the best option. As others have suggested, GPs are often rushed and not necessarily checking fully when they give out prescriptions. Pharmacists are perhaps better qualified in this area.

My OH's medication got in a right old mess after years of tinkering by successive GPs and made him very ill, to the point where for several months he thought he was dying. It was actually a new Consultant (not a pharmacist) that sorted it all out but it did show how GPs are not necessarily the best people to fully understand how certain medications can interact.

kittylester Sun 25-May-14 09:20:55

That was my point really nightowl - that there was inconsistency in how the situation was handled!

nightowl Sun 25-May-14 10:01:06

Sorry kitty blush

Not woken up properly yet.

kittylester Sun 25-May-14 10:11:55

smile