Gransnet forums

AIBU

Football World Cup - great or groan?

(27 Posts)
papaoscar Mon 26-May-14 20:35:42

I've always enjoyed the razzmatazz of these footballing extravaganzas, but what with all the poverty in Brazil and the obscene wealth on display I'm not so sure now. I hope England do well though I'm not optimistic, but I do hope that the poor happy people of Brazil get some benefit out of it. What do you think?

Smileless2012 Mon 26-May-14 20:55:04

Well I'm afraid it's a great big groan from me. I'm not really a football fan but it's not the matches that get on my nerves it's the long and boring monologue before the game even begins, then the one we're subjected too during the half time interval, and don't even get me started on the long and boring dissection once the match is over.

From a less selfish perspective I have to say that I find the obscene amount of money spent on hosting these games, not to mention the amount the players are paid as distasteful to say the least especially when there's so much poverty. I'm sorry to say that I doubt the poor Brazilians will get any real benefit, when do the poor in any of the hosting countries ever benefit from all of the money generated by the World Cup?

Tegan Mon 26-May-14 21:11:33

Well. Derby losing on Saturday has at least given me a foretaste of what it feels to lose yet again sad. But I am looking forward to the World Cup in the hope that I get to see some world class football. It's just that I had a horrible feeling the other night [a sort of recall moment] that it was going to be full of vuvuzelas [sp]again and they drove me mad last time [grrrr]. Stops me being able to hear the commentary and reminds me of a large swarm of bees. And [got to be honest here] I can't say I'm looking forward to seeing the ritual humiliation that is watching the National team play but I am looking forward to seeing Ronaldo. Did anyone see the brilliant documentary about South America that was on the Beeb last week; may still be on iplayer..I'll have a look?

Tegan Mon 26-May-14 21:13:38

...it was called Rio 50 Degrees and it's still on iplayer.

annodomini Mon 26-May-14 21:52:56

Don't mind football if it's played well and in the right spirit. But the hype leading up to the World Cup and going on throughout the whole event is simply nauseating.

HollyDaze Mon 26-May-14 22:39:49

I thoroughly enjoy the World Cup (until England lose and are sent home) so I am really looking forward to it all.

I ignore the obscene wealth - if I paid any attention to that, I'd never watch another film with my favourite actors in or buy CDs of my favourite singers!

Eloethan Mon 26-May-14 23:23:14

Brazil is a very rich country, full of natural resources. It is not that there isn't enough wealth to raise people out of poverty As is often the case, there is massively unequal distribution. Although I agree that the money spent on the World Cup could be much better spent, the causes of poverty are systemic rather than relating to these sorts of grandiose projects.

We spent an absolute fortune on the Olympics and apparently we are the 7th richest country in the world. That isn't much comfort to people who can't buy food, pay their energy bills or find secure and reasonably priced housing. After the terrible floods, Cameron indicated that as a rich country he would be able to spend whatever was needed to help the people affected (mind you, there is an election approaching).

ninathenana Tue 27-May-14 00:06:50

can't wait dreading it.

numberplease Tue 27-May-14 00:08:36

Definitely a great BIG groan from me, daughter and I will have to record no end of stuff because HIS football always comes first!

ginny Tue 27-May-14 08:04:04

Big Big Groan. And if I hear one more person in the media say that everyone is so excited and looking forward to it I will throw my toys out of my pram ! I am not and will avoid all broadcasts and probably most of the newspaper for the duration.

DebnCreme Tue 27-May-14 08:24:34

It is a 'great' from me whilst we are winning but like you PO I hope the poor in Brazil gain a worthwhile benefit.

Anne58 Wed 28-May-14 07:09:05

I think I've made my feelings about football very clear on here before! grin

I loathe it with a passion, from the obscenely overpaid players to the moronic chanting of the fans who cannot even say their own country's name correctly. Where on earth is "Inger land" ?

I consider myself fortunate that Mr P ahs no interest in it.

Lona Wed 28-May-14 08:27:54

What football?

I'm with phoenix, thank goodness I live alone and can watch what I like.

kittylester Wed 28-May-14 08:36:52

Luckily, we have more than one tv! grin

KatyK Wed 28-May-14 09:06:30

Groan. Fortunately we have more than one TV too smile

whenim64 Wed 28-May-14 09:26:43

Disinterested. Let it soon be over and then I can anticipate Wimbledon with lots of excitement! smile

harrigran Wed 28-May-14 09:51:27

Hate it, don't care, don't want to hear anything about it. When football is on TV I retire to the study and my computer smile

Marty Wed 28-May-14 09:52:29

I can't stand football and footballers in general - except David Beckham. All you ever seem to see on the television is some idiot rolling in the dirt and holding his leg. I will NOT be watching the World Cup.

annsixty Wed 28-May-14 10:07:41

Well I for one can't wait. Football is one of the few interests that DH has now since his memory problems started and I will be able to have time on my own without being asked where I am and what I am doing. Tegan he has followed Derby for 60 years and was "rather upset" on Saturday!!

merlotgran Wed 28-May-14 12:25:07

I don't mind the World Cup as it keeps DH out of my hair happy. The last one drove me nuts though because the constant racket from the vuvuzelas was hard to escape. angry

The novelty of samba bands might wear a bit thin after a while though hmm

GrandmaSandra Wed 28-May-14 14:17:23

I love the World Cup and can't wait for it to start. The only problem with it being in South America will be that the games will be played in the middle of the night UK time.

Tegan Wed 28-May-14 14:29:46

Oh I'd forgotten that. Good job I'm now retired and can [and often do] stay up half the night anyway. But scuppers my plan to watch some of the games in the village pub confused...merlot; I'm worried about the vuvuzelas as well; ruined the last World Cup for me. I can't hear what people say when there's a background noise like that and it isn't the same watching it with the sound off [I don't understand football enough to know what's happening]. They did try to tone down the sound last time, I think but it didn't work for me.

BeeWitch Wed 28-May-14 17:21:41

GROAN - not my cup of tea at all. Now off to make myself one .... brew

Tegan Wed 28-May-14 17:48:13

ann; it was rather painful wasn't it sad. I listened to it on the radio for the first half then took my grandson to the pub for the second with a bad feeling that we weren't going to win [from what I'd heard up to that point]. We didn't deserve to lose but didn't deserve to win either and teams with 10 men are very dangerous imo. Thankfully my grandson wasn't too upset.

BeeWitch Thu 29-May-14 12:53:33

Tegan Annsixty I was sorry that Derby didn't win, and to lose in the last minute was dreadful. I was lucky enough to work on the Pride Park when it was under construction. I was project secretary for Taylor Woodrow, and it was one of the best jobs EVER. smile Many happy memories.