Gransnet forums

AIBU

Fit to bust

(32 Posts)
Kiora Fri 30-May-14 09:39:25

I think I am being unreasonable. I just can't help it. In march this year while traveling on the motorway with our two young grandchildren a tarpaulin was ripped off a lorry in front of us and completely covered my little car. We were driving in complete darkness for about two minutes and the noise was as if the roof was being ripped off. We stopped did the usual of exchanging details. My husband (who was driving) informed the insurance company we were also a witness for the lorry in front of us because the tarpaulin hit him before us. There wasn't as much damage as I'd feared but some small deep gouges over the bonnet and roof. For some unfathomable reason my husband got it into his head that he didn't want to wait for the insurance to sort things out so 8 weeks after the incident he put the car into a spray shop and asked them to fix the paintwork while we were on holiday. I warned him not to. I asked him not to. I told him I thought it was the wrong thing to do. Now we have a £900 bill and it looks as if the insurance won't pay out because the car wasn't inspected. For the first time in decades we had an enormous row. I can hardly speak to him. He does this sort of thing every now and again gets a stupid idea into his head and runs head long into disaster. Normally I just feel a little put out but This time I'v really lost the plot. I feel like crying, I feel miserable, it's affecting my daily life. I'm so incensed and I know I AM BEING UNREASONABLE. angry

Stansgran Sat 31-May-14 16:52:15

It's a man thing. I can live with scratches on a car having put many of them there. On his car DH has to spend a fortune titivating it.

JessM Sun 01-Jun-14 07:52:14

I think Soutra's first post re post-trauma is insightful and may help you to understand and forgive.
However it is still completely unreasonable behaviour. No point in pursuing with insurance now, the deed is done.
I don't think stewing in it is going to help though. If you can't shrug it off you need to have it out with him. I agree us women tend to be placatory sometimes and need to be a bit more assertive.

FarNorth Sun 01-Jun-14 19:22:59

I agree with Soutra. I am not a man, and not in the habit of doing unreasonable things of that type (especially if they are going to cost me money) BUT I can imagine doing what Kiora's DH did, in that situation.

It must have been a terrifying situation for him to be driving with no vision and he must have been aware that you could all be killed at any moment. Although he seemed calm at the time, later on it could have been subconsciously distressing him to see the evidence of what happened, plainly on the car for 8 weeks and counting.

I can easily imagine just wanting to erase that situation quickly, whatever the 'sensible' thing might be to do.

Kiora, on the other hand, you wanted to feel that you were dealing with it sensibly by waiting for the insurance to pay up and you wanted your DH to accept your advice to do that and not to take any impulsive action as he had done in the past. Nothing wrong with that, but he wasn't able to do it.

Can you take Jinglebellsfrocks' advice to give yourself a treat? You both had a very bad scare and need to be gentle with yourselves and each other.

Coolgran65 Sun 01-Jun-14 21:23:29

The incident of the tarpaulin was reported to the police and that's good. Do you have any details of the driver whose tarpaulin came loose. It was mentioned briefly in an earlier post and I reckon you'd have nothing to lose by sending a copy of the paid bill to the driver's company.

I wonder would the Motor Insurer's Bureau be worth while. The MIB is a fund that all insurance companies pay into to cover victims where there is an uninsured driver, don't know about an untraceable driver.
Just a thought !!
Though the matter is perhaps best left to settle.

And Yes... I'd have been so mad.
I think I remember my DH saying sorry once!
He usually goes nicey nicey and makes a cuppa or something.... but never quite manages to get the word out.

Kiora Mon 02-Jun-14 17:18:36

Just an update. My husband has written to the insurance company. I have calmed down and I have a new iPad Air as a treat. I shouldn't let his stubborn ways get to me. In the light of some of the other post on here it really is nothing.....oh well at least I found out I still have umph in me. wink

FlicketyB Mon 02-Jun-14 17:26:51

Motorists Insurance Bureau covers accidents involving uninsured drivers, untraceable drivers and foreign drivers.

DD was badly injured in a car accident involving a car that drove on, number unknown, and her compensation is being paid by the MIB.