Gransnet forums

AIBU

Are posties refusing to deliver the Sun being unreasonable?

(46 Posts)
janerowena Fri 13-Jun-14 16:35:43

So now we know why so many people in Lancs and around Liverpool don't have copies, elsewhere as well.

www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/pictures-homes-over-britain-show-7254760

So many people told their postmen that they didn't want a copy that they said they didn't want the hassle they would get if they delivered it. This is only one link, there are many.

durhamjen Fri 13-Jun-14 17:45:37

The postmen are probably doing the Sun a favour, as Murdoch could get fined over a million for delivering without proper business details, £50 for each paper.
www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/06/12/the-sun-world-cup-2014-_n_5488031.html?utm_hp_ref=uk

Ana Fri 13-Jun-14 18:27:04

I hope the taxpayer won't end up footing the bill if such a ridiculous charge is ever brought to court, and thrown out as it undoubtedly would be...

durhamjen Fri 13-Jun-14 18:33:32

Why would it be thrown out, Ana?

Ana Fri 13-Jun-14 18:35:46

Because it's a ridiculous charge, durhamjen.

durhamjen Fri 13-Jun-14 18:38:53

But why? If the Sun has broken the law, surely it should be charged.

Ana Fri 13-Jun-14 18:39:37

Don't hold your breath...

janerowena Fri 13-Jun-14 18:46:43

Maybe he is operating on an 'All news is good news' or 'There's no such thing as bad publicity' principle, because it does rather seem that not many people want the paper.

The whole affair is starting to seem a bit surreal. I wonder what else we will be sent in the future.

Grannyknot Fri 13-Jun-14 21:54:02

... and Ed Milliband completely messed up:

www.politics.co.uk/news/2014/06/13/ed-miliband-very-sorry-for-endorsing-the-sun

Penstemmon Fri 13-Jun-14 22:00:52

I received a copy today and sent it back by Freepost .

If there has been some contravention or illegal action it should be dealt with appropriately. Why would it not be Ana?

Ana Fri 13-Jun-14 22:06:10

The grounds are so spurious that it would take up a great deal of time and public money trying to make any case stick. Have you actually read the technicality it would be based on?

JessM Fri 13-Jun-14 22:21:22

Well all the party leaders endorsed it for some stupid reason.
Their spin doctors obviously have not got in their forefront of their minds that if you go anywhere near the Sun you are dishonouring the memory of the victims at Hillsborough. hmm It will obviously never be forgiven there.

merlotgran Fri 13-Jun-14 22:24:20

Mine came in handy today. I've been dog-sitting a chihuahua that is supposed to be house trained but.........hmm

Eloethan Sat 14-Jun-14 00:11:37

Apart from disliking the Sun and not wishing to be part of its enforced "promotion", I also don't like the way the edition was headlined "An Unapologetic Celebration of England". Why the word "unapologetic"? Is it cocking a snook at those who feel more "British" than "English" (admittedly they are dwindling in numbers), or could it be interpreted as having a dig at the Scots? And why, for heaven's sake, is football, and a reportedly not very good football team, the focus of this sort of "celebration" of England?

No doubt some of you will think me a miserable old curmudgeon who finds offence where none is intended, but I think words are important and the word "unapologetic" was included for a purpose.

I'm inclined to think that to take the Sun to court for what appears to be a minor technical infringement might lead to the Sun being seen as a "victim" - or can anyone enlighten me as to why including the printer's name and address is of vital importance and why the matter should be pursued through the courts?

I think the reportedly significant number of people who sent the paper back, refused to accept it or put posters in their windows is a more effective strategy.

durhamjen Sat 14-Jun-14 01:08:36

England's the only part of the UK that has a team in the world cup?
Murdoch is Australian, so why should he be bothered about the English, unless it's just a way of showing us that he still has control over the press. I agree with you about using the word "unapologetic".
All printed matter has to have an address. In fact if you get any mail or emails from companies where you cannot trace the owners, they are illegal, and can be reported to trading standards. It's a matter of people being able to contact the owners of companies.
I suppose if it goes through trading standards, it will not cost the taxpayer that muchy, as trading standards officers are paid anyway. It's just another day at the office for the home authority.

JessM Sat 14-Jun-14 06:51:18

Yes it is the only team in the World Cup durhamjen so i don't suppose the promotion included the rest of us.
It appears that nobody really thinks there is any chance of them winning. But no big surprise. Eric Cantona remarked the other week words to the effect that a great footballing nation begins with kids playing out for hours and hours, practicing their basic footballing skills. This does not seem to happen in the UK. Quite rare to see any kids outdoors doing anything much.

Ariadne Sat 14-Jun-14 08:53:07

The TV is on, and my men are watching rugby - England v New Zealand. Once again, Theseus (a Scot) is cross because the commentators talk about the "English" national anthem. However, England are winning and, as I felt like pointing out, at least they in the competition, if only just.

annodomini Sat 14-Jun-14 09:27:48

Ariadne, one of the few times I wish I had Sky - to watch rugby. At least I know that this is not the time to phone my sister in NZ!

Anniebach Sat 14-Jun-14 09:30:28

Milliband did what Cammeron and Clegg did, they did not endorse the Sun, they were supporting the English team . Milliband said he was sorry some were upset, big difference . If he had refused to appear in that tat he would have had the wrath of other English sun readers / football supporters and been accused of snubbing the English team . No win either way

AlieOxon Sat 14-Jun-14 09:48:25

Came back from Oxford yesterday and the sun was here - first reaction, I ripped it in half and threw it out the door.
I will pick it up and return it free today

rosesarered Sat 14-Jun-14 10:54:03

Just bin it if you don't want it people! Was going to bin mine, but DH was found reading it [and then he binned it.]

Elegran Sat 14-Jun-14 11:05:10

Repeating a post - Returning the Sun needs their Freepost reg.no. But the Twitter account of the editor David Dinsmore is https://twitter.com/davedins

and his Linkedin page - uk.linkedin.com/pub/david-dinsmore/a/66b/425

and the Facebook page for the Sun https://facebook.com/timeline

Their ordinary address is "The Sun, 3 Thomas More Square, London, E98 1XY "
Or
"Customer Services, News Corp UK and Ireland Limited, 3 Thomas More Square, London E98 1RL"

petallus Sat 14-Jun-14 11:21:03

rosesarered I do agree. I read mine and then binned it.

Probably not as enjoyable as taking a high moral stand though smile

petallus Sat 14-Jun-14 11:21:43

I think there's an element of snobbery in all of this. Half the country read The Sun so what are we saying about them?

Ana Sat 14-Jun-14 11:26:43

It did cross my mind that there may be some Gransnet members who buy/read the Sun, or a member of their household does. If so, some of the derogatory terms used in this thread must be making them cringe...