Gransnet forums

AIBU

Projects for the winter - any ideas?

(71 Posts)
papaoscar Tue 05-Aug-14 11:17:12

First priority - how to improve motivation.

Jane10 Sat 09-Aug-14 17:49:36

I`ve just joined Magmar- looks such an amazing range of activities going on. Just hope I can overcome the urge to hibernate with TV and cats!

Terrafirma1 Sat 09-Aug-14 18:48:06

With a new grandbaby due at the end of August I am.hoping that my Autumn and Winter will involve lots of granny duty smile

rosequartz Sun 10-Aug-14 14:43:07

Magmar? What is it? Trying to find it and this is what came up:
Magmar is a bipedal Pokémon with a red body that has yellow flame designs on it.

Elegran Sun 10-Aug-14 15:05:23

I've just spent five minutes searching for it too. Then I read the posts again and found that Magmar is a poster who recommended U3A (at Thu 07-Aug-14 18:06:18)

Then Papaoscar said "Yes, Magmar" and Jane10 posted "I have just jpined Magmar"

Then Rosequartz and I started to search for Magmar . . .

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 10-Aug-14 15:14:53

Commas can be useful.

Elegran Sun 10-Aug-14 15:26:57

Little things, but they make a difference. Eats, shoots, and leaves. Or eats shoots and leaves.

AlieOxon Sun 10-Aug-14 15:36:23

So did I! Now I know.....hi Magmar!

I looked up Futurelearn and there are several interesting courses - and I will tell my Family History group about this site. I would like to do the one on Irish history....maybe in the winter?

rosesarered Sun 10-Aug-14 15:43:09

Try and get all our digital photos sorted out [and printed out].
Read my RHS plant book and make a list of what we want to plant in the Spring.
Hopefully, take a Winter break in Madeira or Tenerife.
Read more books.
Do more crosswords.
Try and write/phone/email friends more than I do already.
Walk more.

rosesarered Sun 10-Aug-14 15:48:40

The problem with making rag rugs [and it may be fun making them, I don't know] is what to do with the blighters when they are made?My Grandma used to have one in front of her old range , but I wouldn't want one.They used to be what poor people had who couldn't afford wool rugs.
If you are a knitter [I'm guessing papa isn't] then you could make sweaters for the family, or at least the GC.
If you can sew or embroider then there are lots you can do [ I can't sadly.]
Make more homemade meals [papa can do this and give his wife a break.] Bake cakes, scones now and then?
See your friends more.

etheltbags1 Sun 10-Aug-14 19:48:45

ive got a round tuit, was my mothers let me know if its valuable

HildaW Sun 10-Aug-14 20:36:39

rosesared.....my rugs are modern colours and designs and dotted about our home....which has hard floors. I've also made them for GC's bedrooms upon request. They make lovely soft sitting/play areas that last.

rosequartz Sun 10-Aug-14 20:48:28

Apologies Magmar!

ethel unless it is a very special one it is probably worth less than a tenner (but don't send it to the charity shop just in case!). Just keep looking at it like I do.

Must go and look at my knitting patterns, at least I can do that. Doesn't mean that I will get around to knitting anything though.

etheltbags1 Sun 10-Aug-14 21:09:16

hilda what kind of rugs do you make, I can make traditional mats with the proggy design but I cant do hooky so well, I also make wool rugs the kind you get in a craft shop in a kit but I find these expensive. I ve started a summer jumper I know it will not be ready this year but maybe next year.....

ginny Mon 11-Aug-14 11:21:26

No problem for me to find projects. I love knitting, patchwork, scrap booking, paper craft, reading. My problem is being able to fit all these in between the rest of my life. A little more chance of doing so int he winter when not so much is going on outside.

HildaW Mon 11-Aug-14 17:56:06

ethelbags, I do both proddy and hooky....sometimes in the same rug. Like to collect up old T shirts and use those, it makes for a nice soft dense pile and you get so many colours. Am now experimenting with the plaited type, often seen in American kitchens. I am lucky enough to be involved with a group that helps and teaches Adults with learning difficulties and we get donated materials, also such crafts are great for mixed abilities.

etheltbags1 Mon 11-Aug-14 20:59:10

I can do what we call proggy, using bit of wool fibre cut into 'clippings'. I find wool is the best as it stays thick after years but I know people who use t shirts only I find they go very flat, I can do a picture in hooky (very basic) and put a border in proggy. I agree its good for those with learning difficulties and even young children can do it. I have lots of mats in my house, they are lovley and warm. Also I noticed some people sell them for hundreds of pounds on the net, something Ive never done as I cant make em good enough to sell.

goldengirl Mon 11-Aug-14 21:05:35

Excuse my ignorance but what is 'scrap booking'? I feel sure it's more than keeping cuttings from newspapers on various topics.

etheltbags1 Mon 11-Aug-14 21:53:04

I wondered too as I used to cut out pictures as a kid then get frustrated when I found the pages were stuck together when dried. I think you can stick just about anything in a modern day scrapbook, perhaps keep one for our grankids photos or maybe recipes, I did one with pages from a magazine I got regularly with holistic therapies and crystals etc. You can also make collages with materials etc. The sky is the limit and as long as you enjoy it great.

susieb755 Mon 11-Aug-14 22:00:00

Scrapbooking is addictive ! It is preserving your photos creatively , and adding text to put it in context- see here for examples :

www.pinterest.com/scrapbookcom/favorite-scrapbooking-layouts/

ginny Mon 11-Aug-14 23:10:21

goldengirl .....susieb775 is exactly right. To preserve memories creativly. Best to use acid free paper, glue etc.