Gransnet forums

AIBU

Boomers tonite! Will U B Watching?

(75 Posts)
papaoscar Fri 15-Aug-14 18:45:59

BBC1 9pm - 30 minutes. Great cast, hope its good!

Jane10 Sat 16-Aug-14 09:13:16

I had great hopes of "Boomers" but like others switched off after about 15 minutes. It just wasn't funny enough for 9 O`clock on a Friday night when I like/want/need a good laugh!! Maybe if it was on at a less peak time it could quietly grow- that's worked for many other comedy dramas

suebailey1 Sat 16-Aug-14 09:15:15

Oh dear Boomers was not very good but I stuck it out till the end- is that what we are then a load of bizarrely dressed miseries? smile

chloe1984 Sat 16-Aug-14 10:37:17

Will try it again next week but have to say rather disappointing so far, but am such a fan of Alison Steadman will continue watching ( Thought she was beyond brilliant in Gavin and Stacey)

mrshat Sat 16-Aug-14 16:46:44

Disappointed - will try again next week and hope for improvement!

petra Sat 16-Aug-14 17:04:24

Absolute drivel. Whoever thought it was a good idea to cast Nigel Planer as the 'love interest' needs sacking. Agree that the only funny line was the one about the humanist funeral.

trisher Sat 16-Aug-14 18:03:03

Dreadful! All the women are stereotypes! They can't drive, or if they can they can't park. They can't turn their phone to silent. One is desperate to grab her first grandchild, and hates her DIL. They don't like their husbands drinking in the pub.
Real women drive, try not to interfere, are well up on technology and would be in the pub first ordering a bottle of wine.
We are the generation that started music festivals, began women's lib and demonstrated against a war. We deserve better!!!

Deedaa Sat 16-Aug-14 22:33:22

I'll give it another go next week, it may get better hmm I must admit that I often find myself listening to other women and thinking "What century were you born in?" but I suppose I had a rather bohemian upbringing and may have had more liberated ideas than some.

kittylester Sun 17-Aug-14 12:37:08

I'll give it another go, too!

I know, or have met women who fulfill all the stereotypes portrayed there. I have met women of my age who can't drive or, even worse, can but don't. I have a friend who can't change her mobile from typing in capitals and won't let me 'in case I do something wrong'. DD3's MiL won't have the grandchildren after 4pm as that's when she puts the oven on confused etc etc. Two of the other sets of GPs hung around outside the delivery room so they could be there first and claim the child looked just like their sides.

And, now I feel bad about laughing at them! sad

Grannyknot Sun 17-Aug-14 17:32:38

kitty I was going to say that too ... that sadly I've met all of the stereotypes portrayed on there - and especially the 'battle axe' as per the Alison Steadman character.

And I thought that casting Nigel Planer as the 'love interest' was actually very funny as he would be the only one who thought that he fitted the bill smile

So I will record it and watch it by myself and have a mild chuckle I should imagine. Husband didn't like it at all, the AS character put him right off! grin

Eloethan Sun 17-Aug-14 18:37:46

I feel awful now. I can't drive and I'm not very good at tech stuff.

But, other than that, I hope I'm nothing like any of the women on Boomers.

I didn't like it much but thought Russ Abbot's character was quite funny. Alison Steadman seems to be getting very "samey" parts these days - but maybe that's the only sort of scripts she is offered. A shame, especially when thinking back to her performances in Abigail's Party and Nuts in May.

rockgran Sun 17-Aug-14 20:40:59

I rather liked it! I think it has potential, especially with that cast.

Treebee Sun 17-Aug-14 20:46:23

Well, it made me laugh! Yes, they are awful stereotypes, but like others I know people like them and recognised some of the conversations!
Anyone know where it was filmed? I know it's set in Norfolk but I didn't recognise the town.

feetlebaum Sun 17-Aug-14 21:23:48

Just watched my recording of Boomers - I thought it rather good - gentle but funny Surprised, having read some of the less enthusiastic posts here.

First episodes are notoriously difficult to get right - so much time and effort has to go into establishing the characters and the locale.

Deedaa Sun 17-Aug-14 21:40:28

How many series of Only Fools and Horses were there before it really took off? I certainly found Boomers more amusing than some of the current comedies that I hear people raving about. I won't name any of them or everyone will know what a grumpy old woman I really am grin

absentgrandma Sun 17-Aug-14 22:36:08

I enjoyed it, well after putting my foot down and insisting OH gave up the last 5 mins of Beethovens 'Eroica' on BBC4, I felt obliged [wink[. No, joking apart, it was a gentle comedy which I think will gather speed. I've loved Alison Steadman since 'Abigail's Party', but I did have an uneasy feeling she was an extension of Pam from Gavin and Stacey. Nigel Planer was excellent.... love interest? I think not ! He was a sad loser surely.And as an expat myself (tho' not in the land of G&Ts at 11 o'clock and a perma-tan) you do meet those types ... stock queries on a first introduction.... How long have you lived here? Do you speak French? Can't stand the food but the wine's cheap, innit? Oh, and you always get the ones who just lurve to show their grasp on the £ to Euro conversion to tell you just how cheap diesel, meals out and council tax is compared to the UK

Like Kittylester I have friends who cancelled a holiday with us because DIL (yes DIL.... with her own parents!!) was due to pop out another grandchild.

In fact I think my range of friends covers the whole spectrum of those portrayed in Boomers. Oh dear!

And what's with the shame of being a 'boomer? Rock on, I say. A funeral plan plus 'a little bit for the kids after you've gone', as Parky is wont to say
.... cobblers!

NannaAnna Mon 18-Aug-14 00:23:20

I've just watched it on iplayer, and they all seem so old!
Most of the actors just about qualify as 'baby boomers' as they were born in the second half of the 1940's. I can't relate to the personas they portray at all, and I was born in 1951! They seem like an earlier generation to me. Does anyone else relate to what I'm saying or is it just me?

penguinpaperback Mon 18-Aug-14 00:52:04

For Treebee, I didn't watch the programme but read, see link below, although it is supposed to be set in Norfolk it was actually filmed in Kent.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2723777/New-BBC-sitcom-set-Norfolk-coast-starring-Russ-Abbot-Stephanie-Beacham-filmed-165-miles-away-Kent-save-money.html

rockgran Mon 18-Aug-14 05:30:38

NannaAnna - I agree that they did look old (I was surprised to find Paula Wilcox is only a few weeks older than I am and Nigel Planer born 1953 - so young!). But technically a baby boomer can be born 1946 so they are all typical I guess. The thing is - we don't see actors age gradually - they are either very "young" in a repeat of something or suddenly "old" in a new drama. It is interesting to see who has aged well. Philip Jackson always looks the same.

petallus Mon 18-Aug-14 09:33:59

I found the program clichéd and boring. Even the acting wasn't convincing in spite of so many of my favourites being in it.

petallus Mon 18-Aug-14 09:35:03

I knew Nigel Planer would turn up with a young girlfriend and why are the characters so negative and moany?

papaoscar Mon 18-Aug-14 14:46:35

It can only get better!

suemac Wed 20-Aug-14 15:14:42

I was born in 1946 and have always understood I was a "baby boomer". We were the first year of a big upsurge in population after the war, whether this was because of the returning of men from the forces or prison camps or a reaffirmation that after a ghastly war people were ready to start again, I don't know. Personally my mother said I was a result of the victory celebrations! I watched the programme but didn't feel I had a lot in common with the characters however will give it another chance.

TwiceAsNice Wed 20-Aug-14 15:31:58

I was born in 1953 and. Thought I was part of the baby boomer generation. Yes some of the characters were stereotypical in quite an exaggerated way but we have all met them somewhere or know people like them.

I did think parts of it was cliched but I laughed out loud at it as well so I have recorded the series on my Sky planner and will watch the second episode when I want to I hardly ever watch programmes live I record all I'm interested in and watch them all whenever.

jenn Wed 20-Aug-14 16:11:23

I was born in 1951 and could not recognise myself or friends...

jenn Wed 20-Aug-14 16:13:34

I was born in 1951 and did not recognise myself or my friends.....